News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Any James Bennett sightings?
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:10:09 PM »
James Bennett is coming into LA, en route to Scotland, and we will be golfing at Rustic Canyon at approx. 9:10am and 9:30. We have 8 golfers at this point: James, me, Ron Muszalski, Lou Duran, Joe Perches, Tommy Naccarato, Aidan Bradley, and David Moriarty.There is a chance we will go over to see Lost Canyons at 2:30pm so James can take a look at one of those courses. Although I find it hard to imagine that James can tear himself away from Rustic once he sees it. 8)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:00:58 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Rustic Canyon 3/19 with James Bennett and friends
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:28:03 PM »
Ed,
We'll do our best to convince him of the right choice, especially the benefits of a round in the late afternoon/early evening! ;)

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »
When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

I guess I'll have to develop a taste for iced tea, soy milk de-caff lattes and californian wine.  Oh well, one out of three isn't too bad.

47 hours till blast-off.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:04:03 PM »
9:40 on a Monday?  Don't you people work?! ;D

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 10:24:53 PM »
Where do I send a resume? ;)

ed_getka

Re:Rustic Canyon 3/19 James Bennett is in town
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 02:18:46 PM »
Okay gents. We have tee times for 9:10 and 9:30 on 3/19. Joining us at this point will be James Bennett, Ron Muszalski, Lou Duran, Joe Perches, Tommy Naccarato, Aidan Bradley, David Moriarty, and myself. See you all there.

Tom,
    I'm glad to here you enjoyed our hidden gem out here in SoCal. I wish I could have made it down. How was the day over at Riviera?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:46:00 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 02:22:34 PM »
Ed - I'll take $100 for the 9:20 time I booked.  Aw heck, I feel guilty and you're a nice guy - you get a discount.  $85.

;)

Tom Dunne

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 02:27:09 PM »
Have fun out there, guys. I got the chance to play Rustic with Lynn Shackelford and David Kelly last month and absolutely LOVED every minute of it. Great, great course.

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 02:44:37 PM »
You are one funny man Sir Thomas of Huckaby. Don't worry I imagine we can "persuade" that 9:20 group to move up. ;)

Tom Dunne,
    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our "hidden gem" on your trip. How was the day out at Riviera watching the big boys? Did you make it to Stone Eagle?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:47:34 PM by ed_getka »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:46:53 PM »
I dunno Ed... my guys are pretty tied to 9:20... my buddy Sal says 9 and 2 are his lucky numbers.

;D

rjsimper

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 02:56:38 PM »
I dunno Ed... my guys are pretty tied to 9:20... my buddy Sal says 9 and 2 are his lucky numbers.

;D

And Huckaby is the "muscle" in the operation
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:56:49 PM by Ryan Simper »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 02:57:36 PM »
Ryan, please.  Rocco is now very insulted.

;D

rjsimper

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
Just so long as he doesn't come trying to make me an offer I can't refuse.

Get your licks in on Rustic now, gentlemen.  They aerate 3/26 and 3/27

ed_getka

Re:Any James Bennett sightings?
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 04:01:51 PM »
James,
    If you peek in, we'll see you Monday morning. Do you have the directions I sent you?
    See the rest of you guys Monday morning.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:01:51 PM by ed_getka »

Michael Robin

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 11:01:38 PM »
James was sighted at the Lakeside Golf Club in Toluca Lake today. He was said to have driven the ball quite well, but it was his bunker play and all around remarkable short game that left those observing in awe. You'll have to ask him if the stories are true about his amazing up and downs to finish 4, 4 from the very back tees.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 11:03:54 PM by Michael Robin »

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 12:30:17 AM »
Michael only speaks of the good things.

Down under, I fight a hooh.  With the reverse corolois, I'm fighting a push/slice.  Similar to early games on last years trip.

It was a pleasure to see Lakeside.  Smallest greens I have ever seen.  Much more movement in the land than I expected.  Had quite a 'Philadelphia' feel to it.  More later.

Ed

I'll ring about the directions.  I will be checking my work email shortly, if you sent them there.

best regards to all in SoCal - I'll see many of you Monday.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 09:41:02 PM »
James was sighted tackling Riviera today. On to Rustic tomorrow for the main event. 8)

Michael Robin

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 12:22:40 AM »
Tackled was about right. James saw Riviera as she was in a bit of a foul mood. Foggy conditions, which meant no roll in the fairways, no carry due to the heavy air, and what seemed like every hole into the wind. Conditions felt more like Olympic today. He had his share of fine pars from the Blue tees, and managed to stay out of the "Tassie Blue Gums" (I think that was his name for some of the eucalyptus).

Ed and company, please keep us updated on James' barnstorm thru SoCal as the torch is now passed to you. Please take good care of our Aussie friend.

MR.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:26:41 AM by Michael Robin »

Michael Robin

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 01:13:32 AM »
So, any news on what Mr. Bennett thought of Rustic? I think he's off to Ojai tomorrow.

ed_getka

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 10:06:24 PM »
James has been sighted galavanting all around the Southland. At Rustic and Lost Canyons yesterday. Today at Valley Club, Ojai, and Soule Park. You can't keep a good man down! 8) James didn't golf at all these places, but he enjoyed playing at Rustic and Ojai. James was ABSOLUTELY hilarious in his commentary on Lost Canyons. My 3 favorites: this isn't golf, it's Disneyland; "now I know why the Doak scale has a 0", and due to the one-dimensionality of the short game demands, he said, "bring 5 wedges, a dozen balls, a shotgun with 2 shells" (you need the 2nd shell in case you miss the first time you try to kill yourself). We particularly liked the bridge you drive your golf cart over on your way to the second hole so you can drive over the traffic on the road below.
    Dinner last night with James, Tommy Naccarato, and David Moriarty was an absolute delight.
    More later.

ed_getka

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 10:10:30 PM »
James enjoyed Rustic. His favorite hole was #12 (he birdied it). The green complexes reminded him of St Andrews Beach so I will look forward to making that comparison soon. I suspect we will hear from James in the next couple of hours once he has checked in to his hotel.
     I suspect there are 200-300 pix to look forward to seeing at this point. We had a grand old time looking at pix from Plainfield, Huntington Valley, St Andrews Beach, etc... that James has loaded onto his laptop.
   He is off to London tomorrow.

Michael Robin

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 10:57:55 PM »
Ed - thanks for the updates.

James - Hope you've had fun in SoCal. Now onto Scotland. Great to meet you and have a safe flight.

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 01:16:52 AM »
Michael,
   Per James you were a wonderful host and he conveyed an amusing stunt double story about the  broken rib. Apparently Lakeside has some small greens, as there were some greens at Lost Canyons that qualified as DOUBLE greens. :)
   James saw a nice cross-section of architectural do's and don'ts on this swing through the US. Mostly do's.
    And he saw his first Doak zero!

James Bennett

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 02:41:36 PM »
HI all

I have sucessfully navigated my way through LA freeways, a wrong turn on the way to the airport (stayed on 101 instead of 401, and saw the city centre plus the full length of sunset blvd-an interesting neighbourhood to stop in and to get some petrol!) and have safely arrived in 'the old dart'.  I'M in London at Primrose Hill till Sunday evening when I go to Scotland.  It is 'uncle time' now with myniece and her kids.

Well, what can I say about SoCal golf in a quick response.  Sorry this is brief but time is limited and the keyboard foreign.  No photos yet (they have to wait, sorry SoCal guys, the classic image has to wait!).

Firstly, Riviera.  What a grand old lady.  What history.  Definitely the best kikuyu fairways and poa greens course that I have ever played.  The rooms at the Club upstairs-  the Bobby Jones Room,the Walt Disney Room.  I was in room 232 which was called 'Barney's Room)!  I was amazed.  The outlook over 18 green and down 10, waking up in the earlylight and seeing 6 at the far end illuminated (it has shade problems and so receives artifical light).  The most frustrating thing arriving on a Friday and playing on a Sunday was seeing this most beautiful,enticing creature for over 40 hours before you were allowed to see it and play it.  It was like being on honeymoon but having to wait two days before the marriage could be consummated!  It certainly heightened the level of expectation, which Riviera exceeded.  More later.

However, one thing.  Why have I never heard the 5th at Riviera discussed.  Whilst it is wring to singleout a hole at Riviera - the 5th has characteristics I just didn't expect to see.  Touches of Philadelphia (Merion East and West and nearby Pine Valley).  Arealmemorable treat, despite the kikuyu.

I preceeded this with a day at Lakewood.  The movement of the ground exceeded my expectations, and the greens were certainly small.  They said they were about 2500 sq feet - I think they lied, they must have been 2400 sq feet- really. It is a testerone-filled club who enjoy what they have.  

Yes Rustic was a delight, although a little wetter than I prefer (they had fertilised, so it was a low beam rather than a high beam course when I played.  Next time I will remember when I am playing up-canyon and down-canyon.

LOST cANYONS-thanks for the opportunity to see it.  It is unlike anything I have seen.  I commented on other courses with elevation change in an earlier response - Abama in Tenerife and Morgan Hill near Philly.  Well, they are both in a different league to the Lost Canyons courses.  However, Tom Paul's comment anout the big world of architecture applies at Lost Canyons - their were people who had happily played there that day.  If you possess an A-grade game and like a penal style course that demands shots on most of the round, then Lost Canyons has it.

Ojai- a course over difficult land (not as difficult aS LostCanyons,but difficult none the less).  What a joy, despite the aerated greens (which with the rain slowed them down to soft and slow).  Fairways were wonderful and firm (I saw a catch basin on one hole, but more later).  One hole stood out as 'least-best' to me (1st, was 10th) but it did enable the other good holes on that nine to be routed,  And the lost holes since recovered on the back nine (was front nine) - well they set the standard for severe ground and superlative holes.  15 thru 18 (were 6 thru 9) amd 2 thru 8 (11 through 17) were memorable to say the least.  I think I was the only player on the course, although the rain wasn'ttoo bad.  Definitely cart ball though at Ojai.

Soule Park - an interesting pubblic facility in Ojai.  However, my experience was limited to a quick,late glance and a beer before sundown.

Lastly, the absolute unexpected delight of my SoCal experience, a tour of Valley Club of Montecito.  I wasprivilged ( and I really mean that, as I was privilged at Riviera and a number of otherfine courses last year) to see what can only be described as the ultimate in memorable.  Despite the rain and the lack of views of the ocean and mountains (visibility was 400 metresat best).  There is somuch to say and write about Valley Club,but I don't have time today.  If you get an opportunity to see it, make sure you take it.  If you can play it, fine but just to see it and how they have set the course up and presented it - well it is a credit to the creators (the good doctor), the sustainers (the membership) and the restorers (Tom Doak).  Please don't underestimate howimportant the membership element is to have allowed Valley Club to have its current glory, by courageously taking a path (in lie with the restoring architects philosophy) that is quite opposite to most mainstream clubs.  Valley Club could be set up to play a lot harder, but it would not be the joy toplay that it appears to be today.

If I had two wishes for the clubs that I saw (and it is the members and owners concern, not mine),firstly I would suggest a little less water.  And secondly, I would suggest that the decision-makers at Lakeside have a visit to see Valley Club of Montecito.  Lakeside is a most interesting course, but of those that I played it also has the most potential to be better without spending a lot of money.

If you have got this far,my apogies for the typing- the keyboard is tricky.  And I hope I haven't offended anyone with my comments.

Thanks Michael, Ed, Dave and Tommy for the advice.  And it was a delight tomeet Joe, Aidan and Lou (and Ron the bookworm again).

If anyone is coming for a first-off experience of SoCalgolf at its best,may I encourage them to read George Thomas's Golf Architecture in America before you go.  And if you can, read the histories of the Clubs you visit - Riviera and Valley Club werevery interesting, as was the snippets I saw of Ojai.

see someof you in Scotland

James B

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 04:05:31 PM »
James:

Very cool summation - you saw some special places indeed, and you truly nailed Valley Club - that has a sense of "place" greater than darn near anywhere I've ever been.  I think the question came up once about "dream" clubs - that is, where would one want to be a member if one could pick anywhere - and factoring in wanting to live nearby, Valley Club was right at the top for me.  I can't imagine ever tiring of that course, or that club, or that area.

Side note - MPCC and Cypress rate rather high in this also.  ;D

But the main reason for my post is this:  please quote us your rates as a rainmaker, and I don't mean in the gathering business sense.  My friend, you got drenched in your trip to NorCal, and now it seems you did again in SoCal.  Those locals will tell you the line in the song isn't all that far off - it really never does rain all that much in Southern California.  And ironically enough, while you were down there, we had a heat wave up here.  You do have some SERIOUS rainmaking powers and I know it's hard to believe but we do have drought times here.  Name your price.

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back