News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason McNamara

Re:Best Golf Club in a completely Urban Setting
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2007, 04:29:20 PM »
There are loads in London....  [deleted]

They are all in very urban areas. Best of the bunch I guess would be Coombe Hill.

By that standard, surely Royal Adelaide would qualify

dsilk

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »
Thorney Lea
Brockton,Ma (home of Marciano and Hagler)
once had to hold up on the tee while two cops chased two miscreants across a fairway! The members call police sirens the Thorney Lea Symphony!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »
Dan - Harborside must take the award

TOC, Prestwick and North Berwick may have a few houses alongside certain holes but cannot IMO be considered urban.
Coombe Hill is urban but is surrounded by million pound houses and trees.

Urban, Royal Lytham and Royal Mebourne definately. I think Royal Sydney uses the trees and views to make a country feel in an urban environment as does Royal Adelaide.
Cave Nil Vino

Anthony Butler

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2007, 07:57:44 AM »
Is this thread about courses in the worst setting?  Or is by using the word "urban" center, is it to be assumed that its typical of many run down American inner-cities.

Or is this directed at golf courses in a urban area where the adventures to be found off the course outweigh the adventures to be found on it?  Because if it is, there is a little 9 holer in san fran I can think of.   ;)

It was only a matter of time before someone mentioned Gleneagles. I played there with an art director from my ad agency and he had his wheels boosted during the round... good times.

What about Charles River Country Club? It's almost opposite Filene's Basement!
Next!

William King

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2007, 08:43:39 PM »
Also in ATL: Druid Hills CC

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »
Is this thread about courses in the worst setting?  Or is by using the word "urban" center, is it to be assumed that its typical of many run down American inner-cities.

Or is this directed at golf courses in a urban area where the adventures to be found off the course outweigh the adventures to be found on it?  Because if it is, there is a little 9 holer in san fran I can think of.   ;)

It was only a matter of time before someone mentioned Gleneagles. I played there with an art director from my ad agency and he had his wheels boosted during the round... good times.

Shhh..be quiet.  Don't tell Mr. Pioppi actual stories like this. He thinks all the hoodlum-ism around Gleneagles is just urban myth gone wild!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:31:33 PM by Kalen Braley »

tlavin

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2007, 11:43:45 AM »

Shhh..be quiet.  Don't tell Mr. Pioppi actual stories like this. He thinks all the hoodlum-ism around Gleneagles is just urban myths run rampant!

Heck, I can beat that one!  A mobster got shot here in Chicago when a gunman popped out from behind a bush on a tee box and (as a hip-hopper would indecorously say) busted a cap in his head.  Now that's urban golf at its finest...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 11:44:46 AM by Terry Lavin »

archie_struthers

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »
 :D 8)

This reminds me of the story Trevino used to tell about playing in Dallas (Tennison Park?)

Two gamblers were playing for a few quid when one spies an unsavory chap lurking in the trees up by one of the greens.
Being in the center of the city there was the occasional incident at this golf course.

Seeing the potential perp, player A asks his buddy if he owes him anything , and after tthe affirmative answer promptly whips it out (LOL)

Upon arriving at the green the inevitable stick up comes, and a classic golf story developed,

For all you Texans, do I have my "Parks" right?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:02:59 PM by archie_struthers »

mike_beene

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2007, 10:14:14 PM »
Yes Archie,you have it right.I learned golf at Tennison.Had a 35 dollar card good for whole summer and my dad dropped me off on the way downtown.True urban golf involves buying your ball back from the dude in the woods.The most interesting thing about the old games was I thought the people were watching Trevino because he won the Open.Now I realize the gambling that must have been involved.All those hustlers were always nice to the kids.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2007, 11:35:40 PM »

Heck, I can beat that one!  A mobster got shot here in Chicago when a gunman popped out from behind a bush on a tee box and (as a hip-hopper would indecorously say) busted a cap in his head.  Now that's urban golf at its finest...

Jeff Brauer posted this a couple of years ago. It tells the whole story, though it should be mentioned that Lincolnshire CC is in far-off Crete, which then was quite exurban. Quoting Brauer:

Years ago, when working for Killian and Nugent, I accompanied them (as a young, worthless apprentice) to Lincolnshire.  I was jotting down hole numbers and yardages off the tee signs.  At the 8th hole, the sign was littered with bullet holes.
The superintendent told us that there had been a mafia hit there, which I had vaguely recalled reading about in the Tribune.  A masked gunman had jumped out of the bushes of an empty adjacent lot, machine gunning down a seemingly innocent golfer.
I asked the superintendent what happened in that case.  He told us that the group the victim was playing with had actually been convicted of the murder.  They came under suspicion because they casually played in before reporting it, saying "There was nothing we could do for him, so we might as well have finished."
One started "singing" as a state witness.  When it came to court, the prosecuting attorney asked this member of the foursome how the hired gunman knew who to shoot.  His reply was that they told him to shoot the first one to tee up on the tee.  The prosecuting attorney, a non golfer, asked how they arranged that.  After hearing of golf's "honor" system, he surmised that the mark was clearly the best golfer.  
The witness said "No, we were about even, and when Tony topped his tee shot on the 7th, it was necessary for me to hit into the pond, another guy to hook O.B. and the third to five putt to assure him of the honors."
According to this witness, the victims last words were, "I can't believe I won that hole with a nine....."
That is the best golf story I know, partly because I know it is at least substantially true!

The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Phil McDade

Re: Best Golf Club in a completely Urban Setting
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »
Thought I'd revise this thread (for reasons that will become apparent later), to see if it would generate any more responses.

I do have to say, TOC when I walked it didn't strike me as "urban" in the way I think Terry originally suggested. Only the 1st, 17th and 18th have a true feel of being surrounded by an urban environment; when you get out to, say, 10 and 11, there is a real sense of isolation -- alone among golf holes, gorse, and the estuary, with the town way back there in the distance.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
This post reminds me of Wilshire CC, another gem in LA.  It has nine holes on one side of Beverly Ave., nine holes on the other, with a one-cart tunnel connecting them.  This is the exact same setup as Beverly CC in Chicago.  There's one hole where your aiming point is the El Royale Hotel sign.  Legend has it that Hogan asked where to aim and was told to aim at the sign.  His reply: "Which letter?"

That's good stuff!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
Bayonne is a good choice. I do not consider Golden Valley urban (loved the course though). The Old Course is defintely urban in my book. I love the 18th tee shot hitting back into the city.
Mr Hurricane

Sean Leary

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2009, 10:42:17 AM »
SFGC

David Stamm

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »
LACC and Wilshire are more "urban" than Riviera, so based on that critieria, I'll go with those two for So Cal. Garden City is also a more than worthy contender form what I've senn outside California.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Steve Salmen

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
Terry,

As a Chicago guy, I'm surprised you missed the best ones:  South Shore Country Club and Jackson Park.  As "urban" as it gets.  Not many caucasian residents within 2-3 miles in the last 40 years.

My favorite story was when I played with two local guys.  On the eighth green, a kid jumped over the fence and stole my partners ball and jumped back over and ran away.  The poor guy chased after him and repeatedly yelled, "Come back here you mother f.....er!" 

Different experience, "golf in the hood" as I call it.  You can also buy a $1.50 bottle of Bud Light from an unlicensed vendor selling out of a Radio Flyer wagon.

Steve

Steve Kline

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
If we're aiming at a bit more urban, than upscale (wooded, high-end single family homes, etc.) suburban, a quick list might include Garden City GC, Inverness, East Lake and Wannamoisett.  Perhaps a bit more of a reach might include Lake Merced GCC and San Francisco GC...Daly City/SSF is pretty packed in on a couple of the sides of each...

When I went to Inverness a few years ago virtually everything around it was boarded up it seemed. I couldn't be a good golf course was still located in the area. It was truly an urban setting.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
Durban Golf Club!...still awaiting Ran's profile...busy highway on one side, skyscrapers, construction, the large FIFA World Cup Stadium just next door.

Bart

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
Best Golf Club in a completely Urban Setting, well what about a real water trap as well, thrown is for good luck. You will note none of this silly business of surrounding your Green with water trying to kill the golfer’s fun and enjoyment.  :o

Here we have The Green (as a course was called in the good old days) surrounded by the River Tay which encapsulates the whole course within its own water trap. Its only becomes a hazard when the river burst its banks. :'( Yet again Scotland lead the way in economy of effort and design i.e. you want water then surround the whole course. 8) Cost for designing and constructing this water hazards, zero as gifted by God. ;D It’s the traditional Scottish way. ;)

Melvyn
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:17:21 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2009, 11:36:42 AM »
Chambers Bay,

Huge water hazard "gifted by God", but not really in play. Some of the best natural scenery in the world. Totally surrounded by homes, but the nearby ones cannot be seen from the course. Only views of habitation are distant. Best course I have played.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »
Chambers Bay,

Huge water hazard "gifted by God", but not really in play. Some of the best natural scenery in the world. Totally surrounded by homes, but the nearby ones cannot be seen from the course. Only views of habitation are distant. Best course I have played.

GB,

Really? I wouldn't consider Chambers to be in an urban setting at all. Yes there are houses but it has more of a suburb neighborhood feel to it..

Joe Bausch

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »

Different experience, "golf in the hood" as I call it.  You can also buy a $1.50 bottle of Bud Light from an unlicensed vendor selling out of a Radio Flyer wagon.

Where's the entrepreneur selling forties of St. Ives?   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Garland Bayley

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2009, 12:35:06 PM »
Chambers Bay,

GB,

Really? I wouldn't consider Chambers to be in an urban setting at all. Yes there are houses but it has more of a suburb neighborhood feel to it..

Sean,

The topic did not specify commercial setting. University Place is by all measures urban. It is even a subset of urban called suburban.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2009, 12:40:18 PM »
Chambers Bay,

GB,

Sean,

The topic did not specify commercial setting. University Place is by all measures urban. It is even a subset of urban called suburban.

Maybe we have a different definition/perspective of urban.

Sean Eidson

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
As long as we're talking Urban - and relating stories about Tenison in Dallas - I think I'd throw Cedar Crest in the mix.  I don't think it qualifies as "Best" club or course, but it's a classic Tillinghast course in a pretty run-down neighborhood about 5 minutes from downtown Dallas.  There's a burned house just off the ninth tee you could probably buy for about $20k.

Tenison (West/Highlands) feels more secluded.  With the exception of some apartments off of 4 and 5, it doesn't feel like you're in an urban neighborhood until you pull out of the parking lot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back