News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joshua Pettit

Frank Albert Waugh
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:38:51 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Frank Albert Waugh (1869-1943) and his contributions to Golf Architecture?  He is most commonly known for his career as a Landscape Architect which focused primarily on national forests.  His most famous work includes his designs for The Mount Hood Scenic Byway in Oregon, The Bryce Canyon National Park scenic roadway in Utah, and his consultation work with the U.S. Forest Service, which began in 1917.  Also he is responsible for designing the campuses at Kansas State University and Oklahoma State University.  He claimed to have been inspired by Frederick Law Olmstead which leads me to question weather or not he ever worked with his sons, because they were all prominent in a relatively similar time period.  

Waugh received his bachelor degree from Kansas State University, a Masters at Oklahoma State University and a Masters from Cornell University.  He went on to be a professor at The University of Massachusetts where he founded the Landscape Architecture Department, which was only the second in the country.  

I have discovered that Waugh designed at least one golf course, The Links at Groveport, in Groveport, Ohio, built in 1920.  And from what I have been told he had an appreciation for Golf Architecture, and would often refer to the art form in his teachings, and briefly in his literature, of which he published 19 books between 1899 and 1927.  

I am curious to know if he was inspired by any prominent golf architects of his day, or if perhaps he may have encountered any of them during his travels.  Is anyone aware of any correspondence between him and any other architects, or any additional literature that might be interesting?

Any information regarding Waugh and his contributions to Golf Architecture would be much appreciated.  

Josh
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Sean_Tully

Re:Frank Albert Waugh
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 06:35:33 PM »
Josh,

I have never heard of the him. One guy that might have heard of him would be Tom Macwood, as that is his territory. He has not been online for a while, but maybe he will see this.
Do you have any info on the course or even pictures to see what he was designing?

Tully

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back