News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

As I watched this very entertaining tournament this weekend I was struck by the challenges the players faced throughout the course-the variety of holes-- and within the holes---misses were challenged in various ways without the need of a penalty or a chip out--. But, the greens were the most interesting. Everyone raved that they were great, but it seemed that few putts were made. They seemed to be of the gently sloping variety for the most part.

Was the overseeding of rye in the rough and on the greens a part of what made the course play so challenging? How about the waste areas which created uncertain lies which challenged the players' imaginations.

Palm trees seem a reasonable kind of tree for golf courses. They get in the way of your line but you can fashion a shot.

The possibility of eagle on the final two holes belied that constant call for "the last holes must be hard to par".

The contenders were bombers and short hitters; they were experienced and novices.

I loved the fact that so many weren't intimidated by Tiger. I think it raises his game ( generally) when they don't back down.

AKA Mayday

Steve_ Shaffer

The Emirates GC is a Karl Litten design.He did a lot of work in Florida. Is he still in business?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

I did not watch the tournament but it was interesting to see how many players complimented the greens in Dubai ... there were so many of them that I suspected it had more to do with kissing the hosts' butts than with the conditioning.  I mean, what else is Tiger going to say when they're paying him millions to build a course for them?  A fine from the Tour (for dissing the conditions at Torrey Pines) is peanuts compared to the upside in Dubai.

Tommy_Naccarato

As I watched this very entertaining tournament this weekend I was struck by the challenges the players faced throughout the course-the variety of holes-- and within the holes---misses were challenged in various ways without the need of a penalty or a chip out--. But, the greens were the most interesting. Everyone raved that they were great, but it seemed that few putts were made. They seemed to be of the gently sloping variety for the most part.

Knucklehead, It's amazing you could see that so well on T.V. One has to wonder why you can't see that well in person....

Was the overseeding of rye in the rough and on the greens a part of what made the course play so challenging? How about the waste areas which created uncertain lies which challenged the players' imaginations.

Palm trees seem a reasonable kind of tree for golf courses. They get in the way of your line but you can fashion a shot.

Palm Trees may the very worst tree ever put on a golf course. They swallow shots and never let them go, producing an aerial out of bounds like no other. You might think that is good, I find it to be completely ridiculous. Plus they look stupid and totally out of place.

The possibility of eagle on the final two holes belied that constant call for "the last holes must be hard to par".

The contenders were bombers and short hitters; they were experienced and novices.

I loved the fact that so many weren't intimidated by Tiger. I think it raises his game ( generally) when they don't back down.

Desmond Muirhead, who designed a golf course in the United Emirates called Emirate Hills, once told me that the land was some of the most descript there ever was to build golf courses. He said that water was the main problem. After seeing the movie Syrianna, he might be very correct in that statement as some of the movie's scenes that were shot in the UAE showed low-lying dunes that would no doubt have even Tom Doak blushing for a chance to build 8 holes, let alone 18.  

Desmond told me he was wined and dined and treated like a king, staying in the giant hotel that looks like a sail that junts out into the water, he said that never had he ever stayed at a more luxurious place in all of his years, and I can tell you the man was well traveled.

I can also tell you that I have no desire to ever go there ever.

Gary Slatter

All of the tourneys so far have been enjoyable, and thanks for the Golf Channel coverage (the best on TV).  
The fields for the Emirates events were outstanding, their courses looked great on TV, the sand storm was a nice touch.
The closest I'll ever get to Dubai is TV as I never want to go there.  
I was riveted to the TV watching Tiger and Fisher battle it out, the one constant on my mind was Tiger got $3m to show up, plus his $20M "designer fees" while Fisher probably had paid $3000 to play (maybe it was Wentworth money).
IMO Tiger is worth every cent of his appearance fees.
We are privileged to be observers of this pro golf era! It is too bad what they are doing to our golf courses though.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

mike_malone

Tommy,

I have no idea why I can see better on tv than in the flesh. It must a hidden talent.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back