News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Memphis
« on: February 03, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »
I just heard from someone well placed and a guy I trust that the TPC at Southwind, recently redone by ESI/CSI archie - Steve Wenzloff, is very well done.  Small tees, classical greens with a host of ground game options.  Anybody know anything about it?  What else in Memphis not to be missed for a visiting golfer?

JC

John_Conley

Re:Memphis
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 01:50:22 AM »
Beale?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 04:29:32 AM »
Graceland ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 10:12:16 AM »
     I don't think I'd call the tees small nor the greens classical.When the greens were re-grassed to Champion,only a handful(3-4)were re-configured.Most of the slopes were softened to handle the increased green speed for the tournament.I don't think any tee box was altered.The approaches and surrounds were planted with Diamond zoysia.
     As for tourist attractions,only barbecue restaurants are worth a special mention after Graceland and Beale Street.

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 10:51:26 AM »
I played Chickasaw CC last fall on a visit and really enjoyed it.  It's the former home of the Memphis Open back in the 30's-40's.  

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 11:17:43 AM »
Thanks - as a guy who has well canvassed the US, Memphis is a place I've only driven through - I know little about it.  The guy who 'redid' Southwind is about to do the $25M job at Avenel.  I'm in the process of writing about the Avenel redo and it has been suggested I visit Southwind as background.  JC  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 11:59:32 AM »
Jonathan,

I'd rather play Memphis CC rather than TPC.  Brilliant Ross routing on a small site.  The super there, Rod Lingle, pioneered the use of champion bermuda.  

Nicklaus' Spring Creek Ranch is very good in a pristine setting.  

Little of Langford's greens remain at Chickasaw but they're purportedly contemplating a restoration.  

Culturally, visit A. Schwab's Department Store and lunch at Dyer's Burgers, where they fry the burgers in a skillet in grease that has not been changed since the joint opened in 1912.  Both landmarks are original Beale Street establishments.

I believe Bert Dargie's golf shop is NLE but he was one of America's great club-makers:

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/Article.aspx?id=81427

Mike
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:03:42 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 01:30:09 PM »
Mike - thanks a lot.  As a long-time DRS member I would be remiss not to see MCC.  I'll go in the early spring and will let you know.

JC

Chris Moore

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 10:28:54 PM »
Agreed that Memphis CC is a fun course, except that the fairways and green surrounds are zoysia, which is usually wet and spongy.  I personally find zoysia the wrong choice for green surrrounds, particularly when you are hitting to a firm surface like Champion bermuda.  Zoysia tends to kill the bump and run option, which I think detracts from the experience at a course like MCC.

Chickasaw was a good course when I played it several years ago (1999-ish).  Has it been through a renovation?

Also, Colonial South is big, brawny, and quite enjoyable.  Once you play it, you will walk away shaking your head at how Geiberger fired a 59 there.  Seems absolutely impossible.

For true municipal options, try Galloway, right in the center of town.  Renovated a few years ago and pretty fun.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 10:48:19 PM »
My man Bogie in sort of a bi hill billy. He can do the delta and the hills of Tennessee.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back