News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Sleepy Hollow
« on: February 05, 2007, 10:24:50 AM »
George Peper discuss this club a bit in "Two Years in St Andrews" ( I just read the chapter how George prematurely buried Herb Wind!)

don't remember this course being discussed here...could people pls share their thoughts, thanks (and that has to be one of the coolest logos!)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dean Paolucci

Re:Sleepy Hollow
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »
Paul - One of my favorites of all time.  There has been a number of discussions about Sleepy.  Do a search.  Also fellow GCA'er the illustrious George Bahto is doing an extraordinary restoration there.

http://www.sleepyhollowcc.org/custom/home.htm
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 11:33:13 AM »
Paul - One of my favorites of all time.  There has been a number of discussions about Sleepy.  Do a search.  Also fellow GCA'er the illustrious George Bahto is doing an extraordinary restoration there.

http://www.sleepyhollowcc.org/custom/home.htm

thanks Dean, I will try doing a search and thanks for the link
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »
Paul,

That link is to the club site, but you can't get any info for the club unless you login as a member.

I remember reading some info on the club which listed the architects as CB Macdonald/Tillinghast with restoration by Gil Hanse.

I had the opportunity to play there a couple of years ago in the Stoddard Matches.  36 holes in one day.  The club is built on some outstanding property.  The clubhouse is an incredible structure, I assume it was an old estate mansion.  I really enjoyed the course.  It is routed over some pretty hilly terrain, with some incredible views of the Hudson River.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 12:45:22 PM »
Great logo:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
Paul,

That link is to the club site, but you can't get any info for the club unless you login as a member.

If you click on the link, and then click on "Directions," it takes you to the Directions page.  At the top, to the left of "Member Info" is a link that says "Public."  Click on it and you go to a page where you can go on and see the course routing plan, rating/yardage info, and a hole by hole yardage/par list. The site appears to be under construction as there is a future hole by hole maybe with photos and description.  It would be great to see some photos.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »
Everything JSlonis said is true.  18 holes CB MacDaddy.  9 hole terrific executive (5 3's and 4 4's), great range.  Pool, Tennis, Indoor and Outdoor riding / jumping / horse boarding, Paddle, Squash, Sporting Clays, and at one time a bowling alley (decommissioned now I think).  It was an original Vanderbilt Estate.  Daughter was married to Col. Sheppard.  Guest rooms upstairs are spectacular.  Member facilities are most elegant.  Food is gourmet.  I had my bachelor party there and people are still talking about it 20 years later.

Try this link to the public site with course layout.
http://www.sleepyhollowcc.org/club/scripts/public/public.asp?GRP=8&NS=PUBLIC
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »
There was a Wall St Journal article in October on Sleepy and the restoration. The course that sits there as of last year had more Macdonald with a little Tilly and a little Rees. They sold off some land years ago which is why the Tilly holes were added. I normally try to stick up for Rees on this site, but I doubt that there will be any Rees left when the restoration is completed, and that is a good thing. My understanding is that Gil Hanse stroghly suggested to the Green Committee to pick one architect, and they picked CB as the theme for all 18 + 9 holes. It may become the perfect model for all clubs that have had multiple architects over numerous years.

George and others here know way more than I do about Sleepy.

In terms of the club, as Dean mentioned it is the ultimate family club with lots of things to do besides golf. It sits with Maidstone, Piping Rock, Inwood and The Creek in New York area as a great family club with a great golf course. No beach club like the others, but the country setting makes up for it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 01:48:42 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 01:50:03 PM »
Jamie,

I sent you an IM.

IM or email me.

Thanks

George_Bahto

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »
Sleepy Hollow is undergoing a pretty significant alteration.

The Master Plan was submitted under Hanse Golf Course Design.

Gil is over seeing the project am I am on site overseeing the “goings on.”

You’d better bring your best game when we’re done.

Corey Miller will fill in the details.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »
You’d better bring your best game when we’re done.

George I can't wait to see it finished!  I have seen the renderings and was on the property in the summer during early stages of the lower course and the 12th.  It was a pretty strong test before you started.  It will be amazing after.

George_Bahto

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »
Dean - send me a contact e mail @ ggb313@aol.com
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

michael j fay

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 05:29:49 PM »
The clubhouse is a mansion that was built for a Wall Street type back in the early 20's. He never spent a night there, he died before the house was complete.

I was a spectator at a Woman's Amateur a few years back. The course and clubhouse fit together as well as any I have evr seen. I watched Carol Semple Thompson play 9 holes and tried to keep up with her 86 year old mother walking the back side. Bill Murray was caddying for a gal in the group in front of us.

The course is nicely sculpted out of a near perfect piece of ground. Great movement in the land. Interesting well balanced holes and a very good set of greens.

It is on the shortish side (or at least it was at that point) and very private.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back