News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob_Babcock

The Barnbougle Experience
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:59:01 PM »
For those of you who haven't yet made the pilgrimage to Barnbougle Dunes and for those of you who just can't get enough, I think you'll enjoy this photo slideshow I've put together of the Barnbougle experience:

http://www.robbabcock.com/index.php?album=barnbougle

There are multiple photos of each hole and other general shots which should give you a good flavor for what Barnbougle has to offer. If your Internet connection can't keep up (or the music just isn't your thing) click on the small speaker icon (the controls are on the bottom right) to stop the audio from playing/downloading.

Enjoy!

Eric_Terhorst

Re:The Barnbougle Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
Rob, thanks for the incredible pictures--inspiring!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:46:50 PM »
Rob,

Bloody fantastic!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Witter

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 08:06:46 PM »
A while back, maybe a year or so Matthew M. posted a great description with sketches and photos and I thought that was pretty damn nice...but this is truly stunning.  Rob, for those of us who must still dream, this really fills the imagination of what could it REALLY be like...now I know :o and hey, I didn't have to spend $4,000 to find out :'(

Very well put together Rob...that took some time.  Thanks

Rob_Babcock

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:16:58 PM »
May I suggest replacing the flute with a didgeridoo?

Hi Mark - Good suggestion; I may have something that would work. However, I really like trad Irish music so I went with that for now. Mainly I wanted to have something pleasant and inspiring, with a bit of energy here and there, in the background. I think it works pretty well.

Rob

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
Rob,

Thanks so much for taking the time to put that together and share with us.  Your photos are fantastic and truly make me even more anxious to make the trip down under.  Barnbougle Dunes keeps looking better and better the more I see of it......

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:24:05 PM »
Outstanding Rob.

That was one of the most entertaining tours I've seen. As others have said, this makes me really want to see BBD. The oysters and wine beat a hot dog or burger too!

Question- What was that about lying down on the ground blindfolded near the end of the show?

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:29:34 PM »
Thank you, Rob.  Very nice.

Rob_Babcock

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
Question- What was that about lying down on the ground blindfolded near the end of the show?

That was some sort of Aussie drinking game (I can't imagine doing this sober!) called "Are you there Moriarty?" (or at least I think that is what it is called). Both guys are blindfolded, on their stomachs, with a rolled up newspaper in hand. The "hitter" asks the question and then the "hittee" tries to guess which side the hitter is going to target with his blow. I forget if the "hittee" says something as well (I must have been drinking too) but at some point the other guy takes a mighty lash with his rolled up newspaper. I believe the object is to make full contact with the other guy's head. These guys were at it for quite a while before any damage was inflicted. Pretty darn entertaining, I can tell you.

Perhaps someone from down under can elaborate.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 08:47:05 PM »
Rob, that is all news to me - I have never had the priviledge of seeing that game her in Australia. :(

The closest thing I can recall is an old Uni drinking game called "Beer Hunter", loosely based around the Russian roulette played in the terrific movie "Deer Hunter". It involes a bucket, 6 cans of beer and two participants. Three of the beer cans are shaked up and placed in the inside of a bucket with the three other unshaken cans, ala like the magazine of handgun. The bucket is then spun around so that neither player knows which cans have been shaken. Each player then selects a can to be held against the side of the head and opened with the expected results - either nothing happens or the side of your head gets covered in beer. If you survive the shaken can you win the pot bet and keep going against the next challenger. Lots of side betting on the result adds to the drama.

Its a lot of fun but you do waste a lot of beer...

Mark_F

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 08:59:46 PM »
Its a lot of fun but you do waste a lot of beer...

Is that why you shifted over to Stones Ginger Wine Shane?

Gary Slatter

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 09:11:20 PM »
Great show!
What is the highest handicap safe to play Barnbougle?
Looks like you need to be a player of the game to finish.
I just showed it to my friend and he asked when it will open and how come you were playing. I told him its the future of golf.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
Great stuff. I really enjoyed that. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to share it.

A

Justin Gale

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:43:29 PM »
Again I'll reiterate the congratulations on the presentation. Very inspiring pics. I'll definitely be down there in the next year or two!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 10:18:13 PM »
Geeeeezzzzzz Rob,

I let you use a few of my images for your "golfguides" web site and all of a sudden you are trying to put me out of buisness!!!!

Great job my friend, a fabulous presentation. See you at Doonbeg this Summer for a pop and jig.

Aidan.

Rob_Babcock

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 10:54:12 PM »
...and all of a sudden you are trying to put me out of buisness!!!!

LOL. I was going to put in my original post that the photos weren't "Aidan Bradley quality" but I thought that was obvious!! There's nothing like one of your photos my friend -- that's why I have two of them framed on my wall at home. If the rest of you don't, well you should!  :)

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 11:20:26 PM »
Rob,

Way to make a BIG splash as you jump in to the pool!

Very well put together slide show.

Thanks, Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 12:57:14 AM »
Rob,
   Thanks for the show. You are really making it tough for me to only spend one day there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 01:58:50 AM »
I looked at the photos of Barneygoogles on the other thread and was headed to bed, and then stumbled into this one.  Now I will dream the dream of heavenly spirits.  

What a great show!

Before I go to bed, I'm going to have a little nip and drink a toast to Greg Ramsey, and then all the folks that made this spectacular course a reality.  

If I ever run away from home, you know where I'll be...

Thinking on this, as I understand it, the Island was part of the penal colony, was it not.  Is there any way the U.S. can work a deal with the Aussies to utilize Taz once again as a penal colony for our administration's benefit to send all of our dissidents there.  I'd be waiving the flag of sedition tomorrow morning on the court house steps at the prospect of being bannished to there!

I gotta get there before I get too old... ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

paul cowley

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 04:47:06 AM »
Rob....great job!....have you considered a series?

You should.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 05:53:57 AM »
Wonderful show Rob.  Brings back fine memories of our visit there last March.  JC

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 07:58:41 AM »
Rob:

Thank you for the pictures.  Have you considered adding photo collectionss of the UK courses to your Golf Guides?

For those of you planning a trip to Scotland or Ireland, you should really look into Rob's "Golf Adventure Guides".  I think these are the most useful guides I have come across yet.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 08:28:03 AM »
Rob:  Great show, it makes me "homesick".  And thanks for sending the CD version to me.

Gary Slatter:  The course is not really as hard as it looks, although it CAN be very windy.  My associate Eric Iverson was there over New Year's with his wife, who does not play golf often, and she really enjoyed the course.  If you hit it really crooked you're in trouble, but most of the holes are pretty wide, and you can play along the ground there as much as anywhere.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 11:01:06 AM »
Thanks for that Rob, very nicely done!!

The course looks nothing short of spectacular and I hope to get down there sometime sooner rather than later.

Where else did you guys pla while you were Down under?

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 11:55:53 AM »
Thanks.

If I ever disappear, look for me here.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back