News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Phillips

Hoylake recovery video from the R&A
« on: January 12, 2007, 07:39:12 AM »
Here is the link to the video showing how fast the course recoevered after The Open without lots of watering or fertilisers.

https://www.bestcourseforgolf.org/video/

What does Faldo know about grasses anyway... ???
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Adam Clayman

Re:Hoylake recovery video from the R&A
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 09:42:33 AM »
Brian, It wasn't just Faldo. Many, in this august forum made similar statements. Not only from Hoylake in '06 but also in '04 about that Long Island course. Proving once again that one need only open ones mouth to remove all doubts.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »
Good video.  We were there in early October and "verdant" is a word that comes to mind.  You would never have known those hard, dry fairways we saw on television would green up that quickly with just a bit of rain.  But the course still played very fast and firm even though greener.

I noted Tiger Woods' remark that "this is how it all started, this is how golf should be played."  It will be interesting to see the courses he designs in the future!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 01:48:51 PM »
Thanks for the video.  I, too, enjoyed the head professional's comments but was surprised at how much of a new concept it seemed to him, as if the 2006 Open was a revelation in course setup.  I guess I just expected them to be used to it and for fast and firm to already be the norm.

Put me down as another hopeful vote that Tiger puts those comments into practice with his own designs - he's said similar things in the past about Pinehurst and the Old Course, so hopefully he follows through.  One of the big tests will be whether or not he employs the right people to make sure those ideas get translated well into the turf...

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 02:36:31 PM »
Brian -

Thanks for bringing this EXCELLENT video to our attention. It should be required viewing for every club president, superintendent and greens committee member at every golf club in the U.S.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back