News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

Pull Cart Revenues
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:08:42 PM »
I just had to look at the 4-bag cart on the Erin Hills site...

What drew my attention more was the $10 pull cart rate.
While that does seem quite steep, I wouldn't mind seeing that the norm so it could compete with the regular golf cart revenues...

Which might make it more advantagous to not use the cart  or build the paths at more clubs than just Bandon and a few others.
What are the cart rates at Bandon?
I seem to recall munis used to charge $2-3.

The cart revenue is often compared against walkers, not the pull cart revenue.

How much does the average cart generate in revenues?
Less golf maintenance, cart maint, cart lease, cart path construction and maint, cart storage building, liability....

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:09:44 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

Re:Pull Cart Revenues
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »
I think that the pull carts (big wheels) were $5 rental back in 2001. I used the caddies last time there, very satisfactory.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »
Mike,
   I don't think they charge for pullcarts at Bandon. $10 seems pretty steep for a fixed price item like a pullcart. You have your money back within 50 rentals, tops, even if you only charge $3 a round. I would be more offended to take a pullcart at $10, than an electric cart at $20. At least the electric cart has costs involved for maintenance, battery costs/replacement/charging. The pullcart is pure income within months at worst.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:17:42 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:57:26 PM »
if the course has to depend on pull carts to break even-maybe the developer has missed a golden opportunity to develop a parking lot.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:23:15 PM »
Scott,
Most clubs (everyone I talk to) need regular cart revenue.

Ed,
I'm trying to do the math to eliminate the electric cart not justify it...  :)
Wouldn't you rather pay $10 for a pull cart than $20 for an electric cart if it means no cart paths?

I don't think electric/gas carts make enough money for the hassle, most disagree with me.  Obviously for me it is a bigger hassle than most - I hate the paths.

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:25:55 PM »
Last time we were at Bandon, we took pull carts for the 3rd round each day, and they didn't charge us.  This was at 5PM after most people were off the course and we had already paid caddies for two rounds.

I've heard they charge $15 / day for pull carts, but don't have any fact-based information to back that up.  Even if they did, $15 on top of the $290 for 54 holes is okay with me.

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »
Mike,
  I'm a cheap SOB, and would feel better about paying an additional $10 on the green fee, than to have them ask that much for a pullcart. Better yet, charge the $10 in the green fee and throw in the pullcart for "free". I am much happier to show up at a course where I just pay the green fee and don't get nickel and dimed for pullcarts and range balls.
    I prefer dirt cartpaths over cement if there has to be a cartpath. I know that is not a viable option everywhere. I don't really mind if a course has carts as long as they let me walk.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
Ok Ed,
Last try.

Situation:
You have a cut on both shoulders allowing you to play but precluding you from carrying.
The course normally charges $65 for walkers - your usual fare.
So today you decide you'd like some help.
Pick A or B please:

A - $75 for a pull cart - without any cart paths on the course.

B - $85 for an electric cart - with standard concrete paths tee to green.

Which would you choose.... A or B.

Cheers

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 12:53:34 PM »
Did you notice in the pull carts in Ran's writeup on Yeamans?

BTW: I think many people use pullcarts without thinking about a really light carrybag with less than 14 clubs for that late afternoon round.  

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 01:04:09 PM »
Mike,
   Definitely A. However, do you think it is a good idea to be golfing when you have cuts in your shoulder, that preclude carrying, and could become infected? It's just the nurse in me coming out. ;D
    Aiming for no cart paths is an admirable goal, I hope you find a way to convince your client.
    BTW, is there a huge difference in cost to put the paths in at a later date if necessary for some reason?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »
Thank you nurse Ed - A is the correct answer...

To answer your question, yes the cost would be considerable if I didn't leave room for them.  :)

This is hypothetical discussion.
But one I plan to bring up every chance I get.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:13:07 PM by Mike Nuzzo »

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »
Ah, good point. Didn't think about that.  :-[

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »
Pull carts were $5 at Bandon last April, and if you only had to pay for them once in a day no matter how many times you played....They actually stamped your receipt in case anyone tried to stop you from taking one for round 2 or 3 without paying.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
I believe I paid $5 for my pull cart at Rustic.  They could have done a better job of provided some ingress and egress points for the carts here and there.  First time I had used one since the 60's and loved it.

Dan Moore

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »
I put this on the Erin Hills thread so I'll add it here.  I would like to see more courses offering the Sun Mountain SpeedE cart.  They would easily justify a $10 charge on a hilly course.  Most people have not used 3 wheel carts which are a major improvement over the old two wheelers and this would offer a good alternative to riding carts.  Everyone uses a trolley in Ireland and the UK;  I really don't understand why they are not more popular here.  

Edit:  I should have made clear the SpeedE cart is a battery powered 3 wheel pull cart/trolley.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 09:50:30 AM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Doug Wright

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 02:30:08 PM »
As I recall the charge for a trolley at most courses we visited  in Scotland in 2005 was 3-4 pounds.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Greg Ross

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 10:28:15 PM »
$5 for pull carts at Bandon in November 2006.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:29:07 PM by Greg Ross »
It's all about the fellowship.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 07:48:09 AM »
It is £2 at RCD

David Sneddon

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 05:00:57 PM »
I'm surprised that electric/battery trolleys aren't more popular.
They are a fraction of the cost of a cart, to both purchase and maintain, they will generate revenue, and encourage walking.

Seems to me a course could do quite well offering these for rental.

Crail and Cruden Bay both had them, when I was there in 2004, and they certainly made it easier to walk the course.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back