News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

The Broadcasters finally getting it...
« on: January 11, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »
Midnight:08, friday jan 12, 2007. Just watching the 'opening' Tour coverage of the Sony on 'the new home of live pga golf in the uk' - Setanta Sports.

God bless 'em. Seth Raynor mentioned within ONE MINUTE of the introductory presentation.

Long live Setanta. We shall not mourn Sky Sports and the idiot boy, Ewen...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

Re:The Broadcasters finally getting it...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:15:15 PM »
STOP PRESS!

Raynor mentions: TWO in first ten minutes...!!!!!

GCA enters the cultural psyche of an entire nation (well, a few golfers...)

FBD.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:58:39 PM »
Martin:

Ummm, glad to see they're mentioning Raynor, but is this course the best one to let the viewing public know about his particular take on golf architecture? Absent the ocean views and palm trees, what distiniguishes this course from, say, Brown Deer in Milwaukee?

Not much, from what I can see on the TV screen (and Faldo says the greens are very flat, ergo no place to put tough pins, ergo, low scores....)

George_Bahto

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:09:08 PM »
Martin - Phil:

.....  this course so not resembles what was built it's not even funny.

I have the original concept plan for the course and it was really a very complex bunker set - very similar to the original plan for Yeaman's Hall.

Just about all the "representative holes" (some prefer the word "template"  :(   :-[   :'(  ) were there in some form but over the years virtually all has been wiped out.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:11:32 PM »
Martin - who is actually doing the commentary for Setanta Golf in Hawaii? I'm not currently a subscriber (I used to subscribe to NASN/Setanta), but I'm at least thinking about giving it a go...

Cheers,
Darren

Scott Stearns

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:08:50 PM »
wailae=raynor

trump=rockefeller

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 05:52:57 AM »
Martin - who is actually doing the commentary for Setanta Golf in Hawaii? I'm not currently a subscriber (I used to subscribe to NASN/Setanta), but I'm at least thinking about giving it a go...

Cheers,
Darren

Darren,
last night it was hosted by Faldo and a good-looking blonde american chick, whose name escapes me. I didn't hear much on-course stuff as I was faffing with my new Creative Zen and also trying to write a DVD to DivX. (acronyms are the new black!)
I resisted the move to Setanta for as long as I could, but the thought of not having US Golf at the weekends was too much!
I've cancelled my SkySports and Movies (we'll see how long I stand that).
Studio hosts will be Dominic Holyer, Ken Brown and Ronan Rafferty with occasional forays from Big Darren.
The first night I viewed they showed a fab old SwwoG from St A with the Squire playing the Tall Englishman in '63. Very Cool!

cheers,
FBD.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 07:46:53 AM »
The "good looking American chick" (and I agree with that description!) is Kelly Tilghman, who has a pretty good golfing pedigree.  She grew up in Myrtle Beach where her parents own Gator Hole (a typical early Myrtle Beach track without a great deal to recommend it).  Her grandfather was Melvin Hemphill, a member of the Carolinas and South Carolina Golf Halls of Fame; a well known teacher and outstanding player.  Kelly played college golf at Duke and bumped around the mini tours for a while before settling at the Golf Channel.  I think she and Faldo are going to make a pretty good team.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:00:16 AM »
I resisted the move to Setanta for as long as I could, but the thought of not having US Golf at the weekends was too much!
I've cancelled my SkySports and Movies (we'll see how long I stand that).

I would guess until the US Open at the latest. Sky Sports still have that, the US PGA and the World (how that description makes me laugh) Golf Championship events. Plus of course 'The Greatest League in the World' - an even more laughable description.

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 08:04:47 AM »
STOP PRESS!

Raynor mentions: TWO in first ten minutes...!!!!!

GCA enters the cultural psyche of an entire nation (well, a few golfers...)

FBD.

No chance that can happen in France : the PGA Tour is no longer broadcast  :'(

Two years after the broadcast return, a new year without PGA Tour golf is ahead.

I've no explanations for that. Maybe they don't expect Thomas Levet can keep his card after his medical exemption or the cost was too high for french channels (with few spectators).

Fortunately, the 4 majors and the European Tour will be on TV and I have good golf books to read this year  ;)
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 08:18:51 AM »
George:

They need to renovate according to Raynor's plan. The SONY Open (and club members, there) would benefit tremendously.  
jeffmingay.com

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:46:15 AM »
Martin - Phil:

.....  this course so not resembles what was built it's not even funny.

I have the original concept plan for the course and it was really a very complex bunker set - very similar to the original plan for Yeaman's Hall.

Just about all the "representative holes" (some prefer the word "template"  :(   :-[   :'(  ) were there in some form but over the years virtually all has been wiped out.

George:

Thanks for the evolutionary insights -- I guess that was my point. To mention Raynor in the context of a course that's been de-Raynor-ized seems to do little justice to his design intentions.

Tilghman has caddied for the King at the par 3 tourney at Augusta.

George_Bahto

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »
Tilghman adds a lot  spark to GC !!
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
Ian Baker Finch used to mention Raynor in the ABC broadcast of the SONY.  He even talked about the Redan #17 so that tops The Golf Channel.  Faldo got the eden wrong when he mentioned #8 at St Andrews being copied at Wailiae. He should have known better.

I agree with the upbeat start for the Golf Channel coverage.  I think they are doing great.  My only complaint is that HORRIBLE theme song at the beginning of the show.  They are trying to make a Monday Night Football-like start but Hank WIlliams song trumps this one by a mile.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 08:02:52 PM »
Anything is better than Pink at the beginning of the NBC Sunday night football. Her hands look freakishly large.

I think Faldo and Tighman are doing a nice job.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »
You're right about the theme song.

They should get rights to the classic - Love's Theme.  Nothing says golf better than that!

By the way, I'm very pleasantly surprised by TGC's coverage.  A lot more golf and a lot less guys walking around.  Kudos.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »
From the club's website:

"The par three 13th is designed from one on the Biarritz Course in France.

"Waialae's 8th hole is paterned after the famous Redan hole on the North Berwick Course in Scotland.

"Our unique 16th hole is similar to the 6th hole of the National Course at Southhampton, Long Island.

"The 10th Hole introduces features of the 17th or Road hole at St. Andrews in Scotland."

At some point yesterday Faldo made reference to #10, saying it was supposed to be Raynor's versions of the Road Hole. Then he laughed and said he didn't see much resemblance to the road hole.

Looking at the course map, it looks like #10 bends to the right, not the left, but there does appear to be a Road Hole-type bunker at the front left part of the green:

Again from the website, the history of the course's renovations:

No major physical changes were made in the golf course layout until 1954 when the 15th hole was lengthened from 320 yards to 435 yards.

However, in the early 1960s major reconstruction on the front nine was necessitated in order to provide beachfront areas for the Kahala Hilton Hotel and the Kahala Beach Apartments.  Holes number 1 and 9 were relocated completely from the green, hole number 2 retained the same green but the hole played from mauka to maki instead of along the coast, and a new tee was required for number 3.

At about the same time the Bishop Estate withdrew land where the 7th hole and much of the 6th hole were located for the Kai Nani subdivision, and this required a realignment of the 5th, 6th and 7th holes.  The 7th hole had originally run along the beach in a Diamond Head direction but as a result of the subdivision was relocated inland.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:46:33 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 02:12:27 PM »
I like Kelly.  Her previous hosting of the 19th hole, moderating Charles Davis and Steve Duemig was a nice balance.  She seems to know her subject pretty well.  Of course Faldo knows his stuff, has expressed keen interest in GCA and was working on course designs.  

But, I think Faldo is given a little to the Austin Powers Brit man of mystery image.  At first, I thought he was trying a little too hard and was acting a bit more "Britany" than he did with Azinger.  But, I think he'll settle down when he realizes she isn't going to be swept off her feet by his bon-vivant and debonaire swavecito Euro pedigree.  Oh, yeaah baabiie... :P ::) ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Art Roselle

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
As they kick off coverage from Waialea, I thought I would bump this one up again.  There were some other threads about Waialea and most seemed fairly negative, given all the changes.  Anybody like it as it stands today?  How good would it be if it were "restored"

This old thread also has a some nice plugs for Kelly Tilghman, which I thought that were timely, given recent events (and posts).

JohnV

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »
The routing as used in the Sony is reversed from the map that Rick posted.  #8 on the map is #17 for the tournament.  #13 on the map (#4 in the tourny) is the Biarritz.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 11:14:07 AM »
The Golf Channel is off Sky :o :( >:( :'(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:14:45 AM by Matthew Hunt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back