News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Noser

The Kerns
« on: January 11, 2007, 09:42:40 AM »
Being from the Midwest there are alot of courses in the area done by these 2 I believe that they are father and son different design teams. what do you all think of their body of work. I seem to think from the courses they will take anthing that comes there way but they do seem to have a few OK designs. Anyone have any thoughts? The middle tier architects do not get discussed much here.

Chris_Clouser

Re:The Kerns
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »
I have seen some of Ron Kern's work and like what I have seen.  Purgatory is easily the best work of his I have seen.  I think very highly of the course and the only criticisms I would have of the course is the overuse of sand hazards and the use of tees that are too long for all but the pros.  But that second item may have been forced on him by the client.  

He also did a nine-hole addition in my home town that I have heard some really good things about and is on my list of courses to see in 2007.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 09:55:36 AM »
I just went to Ron's website and noticed that he had done three other courses that I have played.  One of them, Westchase in Brownsburg, IN, is a solid public layout.  The other two are ok, but I still stand by Purgatory being a very good course.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »
Gary has done alot of work in St. Louis -- lives/works here I believe. Anyone who complains that nobody is building interesting cheap daily fee courses should get out and play some of his. I haven't played all of them in the area but enjoy the ones I have. He also did Fox Run at the high end that looks great though I've just walked it -- the LPGA player raved about it when they used to play it.

List of Courses (New and Renovations/Remodelings)

Aberdeen GC,18 hole, semi-private REVIEW Crescent, MO  
Alvin C. Ruxer GC, 9 hole municipal (executive) Jasper, IN  
Bear Creek GC, 18 hole, semi-private REVIEW Wentzville, MO
Bent Creek GC, 18 hole, semi-private  REVIEW Jackson, MO  
Brook Hill GC, 9 hole, public Brookville, IN  
Columbia Bridges GC, 18 holes, semi-private, (back 9 opens 2006) REVIEW Columbia, IL  
Crawfordsville Municipal, 9 holes, addition Crawfordsville, IN  
Eagle Knoll GC, 18 holes, semi-private  REVIEW Hartsburg, MO  
Eagle Lake GC, 18 holes, semi-private   WEBSITE Farmington, MO  
Evansville CC, master Plan and major remodeling, private WEBSITE Evansville, IN
Fourche Valley GC, 18 holes, public  REVIEW Potosi, MO
Fox Creek GC, 18 holes, semi-private  REVIEW Edwardsville, IL  
Fox Run GC, 18 holes, private REVIEW Eureka, MO
Greenfield CC, 9 holes, private, addition  WEBSITE Greenfield, IN
Green Hills CC, 9 holes, private, addition Mt. Vernon, IL
Hanging Tree GC, 18 holes, semi-private  REVIEW Westfield, IN  
Harrison Lake CC, Master Plan and major remodeling, private Columbus, IN
Jasper Municipal GC, 9 hole addition Jasper, IN
Lake Forest G&CC, 9 hole addition, 9 hole remodeling, private REVIEW Lake St. Louis, MO
Meramec Lakes, 18 holes, public REVIEW St. Clair, MO
Mohawk Hills GC, 9 holes, public Carmel, IN
Mooresville CC (Eagle Pines GC), 9 holes, semi-private WEBSITE Mooresville, IN
Nappanee Municipal GC, 9 holes Nappanee, IN
Pebble Brook G&CC, 18 holes, semi-private  WEBSITE Noblesville, IN
Pomme Creek GC, 18 holes, public Arnold, MO
Quail Creek GC, 18 holes, public (w/Hale Irwin)  St. Louis, MO
River Glen CC, 18 holes, semi-private WEBSITE Fishers, IN
Rolling Hills GC, 9 hole addition, public Godfrey, IL
Royal Hylands GC, 18 holes, public  WEBSITE Knightstown, IN
Royal Oak CC, 9 hole addition, private WEBSITE Greenwood, IN
Sky Valley GC, 9 holes, public Hillsboro, IN
Sun Valley GC, 18 holes, public  REVIEW Elsberry, MO
Sycamore Hills CC, 9 hole addition, private WEBSITE Paris, IL
Sunset Hills CC, 5 new holes, 5 hole remodeling, private Edwardsville, IL
The CC at the Legends, 9 hole addition, private Eureka, MO
The New England CC, 18 holes, private (w/Hale Irwin)  Bellingham, MA
The Players Club, 18 holes, private (Now Crescrent Farms GC) REVIEW Crescent, MO
Tomahawk Hills GC, 9 holes, public WEBSITE Jamestown, IN
Turkey Run GC, 18 holes, public   Waveland, IN
Union Hills GC, 9 hole addition, private Pevely, MO
Union County CC, 9 hole addition, 9 hole remodeling, private Anna, IL
Wabash Valley GC, 9 hole addition, semi-private Geneva, IN
Warrensburg CC (Hidden Pines CC), 9 hole addition, private WEBSITE Warrensburg, MO
Westborough CC, 18 hole remodeling, private WEBSITE St. Louis, MO
Westwood CC, 9 hole addition, private New Castle, IN
Wolf Hollow GC, 18 holes, public  REVIEW Washington, MO
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:08:43 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Brian Noser

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 01:42:02 PM »
I agree Buck he has done a number of courses I enjoy as well. Aberdeen is one of my Favorites in the St. Louis area and Eagle Lake In Farmington is also a good cheap course. I hear that they are adding length to the course at Aberdeen to make it around 75-7600 yards.. adding tees on 10,5,6,16 and one other I believe.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »
Interesting Blurb from Kern's website:

Design Philosophy
"Contemporary Design in the Classic Style" is an accurate description of my design philosophy. My designs are a response to the traditions of the game, contemporary shot values and player skills, site features, maintainability of the finished golf course, overall aesthetic feel of the course, and needs of the client. I feel strongly that golf should be fun, and the player should enjoy his golf experience without frustration.

Economy of construction is a major concern. With the current boom in golf course development, survival may well be the keyword for new facilities in the near future. Quality is never sacrificed to this end, but designs are conceived to realize a first class, properly constructed facility and provide an affordable product within a realistic budget. The enthusiasm exhibited by golfers at courses such as Fox Run at Eureka, Eagle Knoll at Hartsburg, Eagle Lake at Farmington, Bear Creek at Wentzville, and Aberdeen at Eureka, Missouri indicates this can be accomplished.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »
I have played a number of his courses and like them.  Before joining a club, I played Aberdeen a lot.  Very walkable, some interesting movement on the holes, wind comes into play.  A weakness, to me, is there are too many parallel back and forth holes (http://www.garykern.com/pages_courses/course_aberdeen.htm).  I also like Eagle Lake (http://www.eaglelakegolfclub.com/default.html - they need to work on their pictures), Eagle Knoll (http://www.eagleknoll.com/) (only played once) & Wolf Hollow (http://www.wolfhollowgolf.com/golf/proto/wolfhollowgolf/course_tour/Pages/Course.html).  Wolf Hollow is a very quirky course and used to have bad conditioning, but it was coming around last time I played it.  Eagle Lake is good and solid in Farmington, but suffers from being seen as "too far away".

I played Fox Run once last year.  Solid course that can test you.  Can seems a better layout than most of his other courses.

Long past time we St. Louis guys get together.  Maybe once the weather breaks (for the better since it is supposed to get nasty this weekend).

Steve Pozaric

Brian Noser

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:01:36 PM »
Steve we do need to get together some time. it would be a good time. About How many do we have on here from the Lou.. Farmington is a haul for people north and west but I live south so I can get there in about 45 mins...

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:22:53 PM »
Somewhere between 6 and 8 I think.

If I was travelling to courses, for me, it takes as long to get to Farmington (Eagle Lake) as it does to Alton (Spencer T) or Wentzville (Bear Creek).  For some reason, Alton seems closer though and it does have Fast Eddies which the others don't.  Good thing I don't need to drive that far on a regular basis.
Steve Pozaric

Buck Wolter

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:34:04 PM »
How about a 1961 Pete Dye design for a get together?

http://www.yorktowngolfcourse.com/

Alternatively Normandie is a central location.

Brian Noser

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 10:21:55 AM »
We also could do the Norman K probstein course in the park :) Just let me know when is a good time and I can set it up..

John Nixon

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »
The Kerns have designed some pretty good courese for the central Indiana area. I've played a few of them:

Hanging Tree GC (now Bent Tree) - has some very nice holes, but suffers a bit from too many holes layed out side-by-side being crossed by the same creek, sometimes at about the same yardage off the tee. #6 (average length par 5 with several strategic options),  #16 (short par 4) and #18 (par 5) are my favorites for this course.

Mohawk Hills GC, 9 holes, public Carmel, IN - was built as part of an apartment complex, with residents of the complex being allowed to play for free during the week (at least they were when I lived there). Will be a NLE course in about two years when the complex is torn down and replaced by something that will enhance the coffers of the city of Carmel more than the existing use. The course fills a real niche in the area, IMO, for a low-priced nine-hole public course.

Turkey Run GC, 18 holes, public   Waveland, IN - My family was spending a long weekend at Turkey Run State Park in western Indiana about 7 years ago when a brother-in-law and I went in search of a golf course, and came acrosss this. Unexpectedly challenging for being in the middle of nowhere. Don't remember the cost, but it was dirt cheap. Haven't made it back since, so I don't know what it's current state is.  

Purgatory - I haven't played it yet, but it gets plenty of mention here whenever Indiana golf comes up.

West Chase - Chris mentioned this one already - it's a very fine design, one I don't mind playing anytime.

In general, I think their courses tend to rely a shade too much on sand and water as design elements. Perhaps their thinking is that that balances the green complexes, which seem to be fairly simple with no large swoops and swales on the surrounds or the greens themselves.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »
Chesapeake Run GC in North Judson, IN is a good public course that was fun to play.  I believe the course opened in 2002.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back