News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Rancho Santa Fe Golf Club photo's-Front 9
« on: December 25, 2006, 03:25:54 PM »
I trust everyone is having a wonderful time w/ their families this Christmas. I thought everyone here might want to see some photo's of RSFGC, probably Max Behr's best preserved course still in existence. So much has been written by this man, and although tough to read sometimes, he nevertheless was a respected voice then and now in the GCA community. While we have much to read of his, we know very little about the courses that he designed himself, mostly because he didn't design very many courses, and also because what there is has been altered significantly. RSFGC has been altered through the years, but since so little is known of his designs, it's hard for me to tell who has done what. The most recnt changes came in 2002 and performed by David Fleming and they have not been recieved well. Some of the bunkering he did looks much different from what was there. Having said all that, I believe this is best preserved course still in existence. The course opened for play in 1929. It was originally offered to Dr. Alister Mackenzie, but he declined as we was in the middle of doing Cypress Point. He referred the members to his friend Max Behr and work began in 1927. The course for years was open to the public until I believe the 60's. This was the original home of the Crosby from 1937-1942 before it moved to the Monterey Peninsula. It has hosted the San Diego Open in 1954 and was won by local Gene Littler. It's also the home course of local amateur great, Pat Duncan. The course is not in it's best condition in the photo's, as it appears that they have overseeded and scalped the fairways, but you get a sense of it. So here it is, the front nine, w/ the back to follow on another thread. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 08:21:22 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

BCrosby

Re:Rancho Santa Fe Golf Club photo's-Front 9
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 10:25:16 AM »
David - The pictures don't show up for me. Is anyone else having a problem?

Bob
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 10:29:01 AM by BCrosby »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:28:20 AM »
I am also, Bob.  I forget why this happens but it does... some browsers can see pics, some can't... some weirdness like that.  Too bad also, I was going to regale all of you with a shot by shot recount in Merion-history-like excruciating detail of my 33 I shot on this nine a few years ago.....

;D

Craig Disher

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:38:18 AM »
I'll make a semi-educated guess as to the problem here. Photobucket has a 10Gbit download limit for non-paying users (of which I'm one).  If David has been posting large numbers of large photos to popular websites, that limit could be reached by the end of the month. Those of you who can see David's photos may be viewing images saved in your browser cache prior to the limit being reached.

If anyone is looking at this thread for the first time today and can see the pictures, that theory is out the window.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 10:39:03 AM »
Sorry Bob and Tom. I've tried to repost and that didn't work. I'm running IE 6.0 w/ SP2. I can see the photo's fine. Is there something else I can try?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 10:42:30 AM »
Craig, if that's the case, I'll post the front 9 again next month.

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 10:54:29 AM »
Sorry Bob and Tom. I've tried to repost and that didn't work. I'm running IE 6.0 w/ SP2. I can see the photo's fine. Is there something else I can try?

David,
There's one thing you could do to see if I'm right. In IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options.

Click on the "General" tab (it's the first one so you may not have to click on it).

Under "Temporary Internet Files", click "Settings."

Under "Settiing", click "View Files."

You'll see a list of files that IE is saving so you don't have to reload them every time you view them. See if any of your photobucket images are in there. If so, delete them (right click, delete).

Then close and re-open IE. If your photobucket pictures are still viewable on GCA, then I've wasted your time and have no idea what the problem is. ;)

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »
Too bad also, I was going to regale all of you with a shot by shot recount in Merion-history-like excruciating detail of my 33 I shot on this nine a few years ago.....

;D

thank God the pictures didn't show up ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 11:10:02 AM »
Craig, I did what you said and now the pics don't show up for me. What does that mean?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 11:21:56 AM »
I've tried two different browsers, IE and firefox and neither one shows them.

When you right click on the broken picture and click on the properties tab it shows the link.  And even when you copy and paste the link into an address bar, it goes to a site that says that page can't be found.

Craig Disher

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 11:23:32 AM »
David,
I think that may confirm what I said about you exceeding photobucket's download limits. Probably that means that the photos you've stored there can't be viewed by anyone for the rest of the month. This is a byproduct of posting a large number of large photos to a website that has a lot of traffic - like GCA.

For example, every time a 100Kb photo that you've posted is viewed by someone on GCA, that 100Kb is charged to your download limit. If you've posted 20 photos of that size in a thread, that's a 2Mb charge. 100 views of that thread means 200Mb and you can see how several threads like that could get to the 10Gb limit pretty quickly.

To make sure that's the case, go to your photobucket account and click on "account options" in the upper right of the screen. You'll then see all the info about your account. Under "Account Dashboard", there are two bar graphs that show how much space you've used (there's a 1Gbit limit which is pretty big) and how much those pictures have been downloaded (a 10Gbit limit).  Your download limit should say "100%".

One way out is to pay photobucket a $25 yearly fee for a Pro account. That doubles the space and size of photos you can store. More to the point here, it gives you unlimited bandwidth so your images will always be viewable. A cheaper way is to make sure your images are as small as possible. A size greater than 50Kb is seldom necessary - and they load a lot faster too.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 11:31:09 AM by Craig Disher »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back