News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Quote of the Year . . .
« on: November 20, 2006, 05:51:52 PM »
Harrington certainly had luck on his side.
After his tee shot at the second extra hole stopped behind a tree, he tried to thread the needle with his second shot, aiming for a gap between the split trunks of the stunted pine. He made it. The ball traveled another 130 yards on the par-5 18th, drawing a perfect lie in a trampled area of rough.

"I definitely got lucky, but sometimes fortune favors the brave,'' said Harrington, whose third shot, with a gap wedge, stopped within two feet of the pin.

Dan Kelly

Re:Quote of the Year . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:56:46 PM »
The brave?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:28:44 PM »
BRAVE as in Mickelson

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 07:33:03 PM »
BRAVE as in Mickelson

If he was BRAVE as aka Phil surely he would not have played in the tournament...

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »
You don't remember Phil trying the same shot through a tree and not being successful?

Bravery indeed!

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:06:38 PM »
The key to the quote is "sometimes."

If your name is Mickelson, change to: "fortune never favors the brave."

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:15:03 PM »
Bravery and professional golf have nothing to do with each other. Do they?

What he should have said was "Fortune sometims favors the foolhardy."

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:29:39 PM »
I'm not so sure about that. Hitting a hard ball at a tiny gap in a tree directly in front of you is pretty brave . . .

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:19:10 PM »
I'm not so sure about that. Hitting a hard ball at a tiny gap in a tree directly in front of you is pretty brave . . .

Maybe he tried it once before and failed to pull it off.

That would account for the voice...  :P

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 10:28:44 PM »

Maybe he tried it once before and failed to pull it off.

That would account for the voice...  :P

So maybe he actually did pull it off..... :o
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jason McNamara

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 12:41:58 AM »
After his tee shot at the second extra hole stopped behind a tree, he tried to thread the needle with his second shot, aiming for a gap between the split trunks of the stunted pine.

"Gap" in this case means about 2 feet wide, maybe 6 feet in front of him.  Pretty gutsy shot, and he really didn't have a lot of other great options.

Jason

Pat Ruddy

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 03:24:05 AM »
Surely, it was all a matter of strategic thinking?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 06:34:30 AM »
News reports say Harrington's second shot hit a tree and ricocheted into perfect position/lie for his 3rd.  Anyone see this?

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 06:37:54 AM »
After his tee shot at the second extra hole stopped behind a tree, he tried to thread the needle with his second shot, aiming for a gap between the split trunks of the stunted pine.

"Gap" in this case means about 2 feet wide, maybe 6 feet in front of him.  Pretty gutsy shot, and he really didn't have a lot of other great options.

Jason

Steve Sayers at Beachtree.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Dave_Miller

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 08:34:37 AM »

"I definitely got lucky, but sometimes fortune favors the brave,'' said Harrington, whose third shot, with a gap wedge, stopped within two feet of the pin.

Sorry Brave and golf do not go together.  What's brave about trying to hit a golf ball.  Even if it is between a split tree.  He misses he finishes second.  What's Brave about that.  Chancey, Foolhardy, whatever but not brave.  The forces in Iraq, etc are brave.
Best
Dave

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 09:24:38 AM »

Sorry Brave and golf do not go together.  What's brave about trying to hit a golf ball.  Even if it is between a split tree.  He misses he finishes second.

If second was the worst thing that could happen, I'd agree with you. The prospect of having a ProV1 coming back at my groin at 90 mph would make me think twice about hitting the shot.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 10:14:33 AM »
Will you guys please get off your soapboxes?

Sure. Why? Are you missing yours?

tlavin

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 10:17:29 AM »
the split trunks of the stunted pine

Cut that damn tree down!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 10:26:44 AM »
When you get to that level of play you execute - you don't get lucky.  Sure, a ball that bounces off a tree and into the middle of a fairway is luck, but when it comes to a difficult shot the player at the very top echelon executes.  Phil never thought that he would not execute the shot.  Remember the shot that Tiger hit out of the bunker and over the water to the tucked pin - he executed the shot and he felt confident that he would do so.  When the game was on the line MJ wanted the ball to take the 3 pointer because he felt he could execute the shot no matter what the percentages.  It might be reckless for someone at a lower level to try the shot, but at the top there is no question or hesitancy.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 12:23:05 PM »
I saw video of Harrington's shot and it was amazing.  It wasn't between trees--it was between a split trunk shaped like a wishbone.  The gap was very small; he had to go over the base of the trunk and between the two offshoots.  I'd say it was brave--a bad ricochet could have taken his head off.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back