News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael J. Moss

Bunkers (cont'd) - useful life expectancy
« on: November 07, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »
On average, assuming the bunkers in question did not have any liner installed when they where built and there is modest amount of sand “flashed” on their side walls, what sort of useful life expectancy can be expected before contamination, rocks, crust, poor drainage, etc. forces reconstruction?

They don’t last forever, do they?

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Bunkers (cont'd) - useful life expectancy
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
Michael,

I have one course that we remodeled just a three years ago, but where we elected for cost reasons to leave out liner, that is redoing its bunkers now.  They are almost complete dirt, and the sand was high dollar (well, actually mid dollar) white when we started.  This is in a clay soil, no rocks.

On a rocky site, before bunker liners were common, we had rocks starting to surface after three years.

All in all, I am guessing three years is about right.  Five years tops.  Of course, constant replacement of sand and more drainage than just a tile in the bottom might help.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »
Mike,

I think part of the answer lies in the style of bunkers as well. If the style is a modern, laser edged bunker that gets a lot (too much?) of maintenance, things will break down and become contaminated sooner. If bunker edges are allowed to evolve (less edging), as well as the number of mechanical rakings being reduced, I believe bunkers can last much longer than 5 years without total rebuilding.

Remember, I come from a "less is more" mindset, and that includes bunker maintenance in a big way.

Opinionatedly Yours,

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:04:31 AM »
How long might the bunkers last at Sand Hills?  Also, can you explain what a liner is and what it does?  

Thanks...

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 08:44:08 AM »
"Liner," gentlemen, please define?! Used primarily when sand is flashed to prevent contamination, correct?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 08:49:44 AM »
For those familiar with Mike Stranz' work at Caledonia and True Blue which we just played, how the hell does the sand stay up on those almost vertical slopes that in some cases are 5-6' high??  ???

It would seem to me that a typical South Carolina gully washer would just wash the majority of that sand right down to the bottom, but it seems to stay up there.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 09:03:40 AM »
we get 5-7 years on the majority of ours......NJ National in in the midst of a bunker program to redo them all of a few year timeframe......clogged drains were more of an issue than contamination of the sand by dirt.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 09:05:13 AM »
You should get your hands on a copy of the GOLF COURSE COMPONENTS LIFE EXPECTANCY CHART published by the ASGCA. I am sure they will send one to you — just call or write or e-mail. (asgca.org)

The chart shows sand life as well as drainage. It varies — but you can expect many regions to require work after 5 years.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back