News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re:Are there others like it?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 08:35:04 PM »
JB,

I thought #15 was one of teh best holes on a world class golf course. I absolutely love the course. #7 is also a wonderful hole. Great green!

Garland,

As I said earlier, I have not been to this course in your picture but how you got a 26 yard width from peak to peak is inexplicable. The way I measured it the fairway was 9 - 10 times the width of the cart path.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »
It looks like this is a unique design feature, not like the green a Riviera, which brought many examples of the same feature.

Either this hole design is not worth copying, or the land at Astoria is so unique that no one sees this possibility in any other course construction.

Which is it? I know Tommy N and I come down on the land is so unique side in answering this.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Topp

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 02:47:37 PM »
The pictured hole reminds me of the 4th at Lahinch, but reminds me very little of the 15th at New South Wales.  I think the Lahinch fairway is in the neighborhood of 10-15 yards wide.

Waterville also has a tunnel like par five 11th, although it doglegs:

Both pictures are from club websites.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 02:53:50 PM by Jason Topp »

JESII

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 02:55:52 PM »
You know Jason, I was thinking of Lahinch with this thread also. I only played the course one time ten years ago and figured if my memory was accurate someone else on here would bring it in to the game. Is the fairway really that narrow?

The one pictured by Garland gives the same claustrophobic feel but 10 yards is unconsionably narrow with side walls like that.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 03:01:07 PM »
Another view of the 4th at Lahinch.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Topp

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 03:06:16 PM »
Jim:

According to this article it is 15 yards wide.  It does not play that narrow because it is down wind and one is likely to get a rebound from the dunes

http://www.golfvacationinsider.com/issues/golfvacationinsider/ireland/Ireland_Golf_Vacation_104-1.html

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 03:09:37 PM »
Waterville's 11th green should be in the upper left of this one.

More views of the 11th at Waterville are available on the aerial tour available on the website.
http://www.watervillehouse.com

Unfortunately, I don't know if you can get the photos out of the flashplayer presentation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 03:21:05 PM by Garland Bayley »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »
I fail to see any similarity between the tunnel hole and any other hole pictured. Hopefully it is unique and will never become mandatory to play. I wonder if it drains towards the tee or the green.  Wasn't Chi Chi going to design a course like that?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 03:28:25 PM »
Isn't the bloody 14th at Cruden Bay quite similar?  The bank on the right isn't as high, but the kick in from either side is similar and the width is about right.  Though, CB's version has a very cool green and a wonderful setting!

Ciao

The pictures on the Cruden Bay website look like a much wider hole. They don't show any significant bank on the right that I can see.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 03:31:02 PM »
I fail to see any similarity between the tunnel hole and any other hole pictured. Hopefully it is unique and will never become mandatory to play. I wonder if it drains towards the tee or the green.  Wasn't Chi Chi going to design a course like that?

The Lahinch and Waterville holes are par 5s. The tee shot appears to be more open, but then a narrow tunnel (probably not near as deep) developes nearer the green for the 2nd and 3rd shots. Looks like the might both allow something like drive, wedge, wedge to keep in in play. Astoria's "tunnel" holes appear to be the most demanding on the drive of any mentioned.

These holes are built between parallel sand dunes. They don't drain any way but down.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 03:55:08 PM by Garland Bayley »

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 03:48:27 PM »
I would have lost money and bet it was the Astoria Golf and CC. It looks exactly like the photo.

The 18-hole "Astoria" course at the Astoria Golf & Country Club facility in Warrenton, Oregon features 6,494 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72.  The course rating is 71 and it has a slope rating of 120 on Bent grass.  Designed by George Junor, the Astoria golf course opened in 1924.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 03:53:06 PM »
I would have lost money and bet it was the Astoria Golf and CC. It looks exactly like the photo.

The 18-hole "Astoria" course at the Astoria Golf & Country Club facility in Warrenton, Oregon features 6,494 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72.  The course rating is 71 and it has a slope rating of 120 on Bent grass.  Designed by George Junor, the Astoria golf course opened in 1924.
??????????????????????
The opening photos of this thread are #3 and #15 at Astoria Golf & Country Club in Warrenton. How would you have lost money?

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 04:05:36 PM »
Ooops! Thought so. Nothing else like it, too.

What did I win - cash or marketable securities? ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back