News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Re:The Tiger, now a GCA, is loose...
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 09:56:30 PM »
What kind of affect might this have on the golf course design business? Will this added publicity help pick up the business at all or perhaps only help out the big names and touring pros?

Tim Copeland

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 10:01:23 PM »
What kind of affect might this have on the golf course design business? Will this added publicity help pick up the business at all or perhaps only help out the big names and touring pros?

You fellas keep drawin em up and we will keep putting those "plans" behind the seat and building what works.........
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 10:01:27 PM »
Ryan:

There won't really be any "added publicity" for some time, until Tiger has some courses under his belt.  (If anyone can afford his services!)  But it really has no effect on whether a normal golf course project will succeed or fail, and thus no effect on most other architects or the business at large, unless Tiger builds something really different and others feel compelled to follow suit.

Tim Bert

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 10:16:55 PM »
Doak & Woods

Might just be the next hot ticket in golf design.  If there's anything left that could help Tom escalate his fee beyond the going rate, this just might be it!

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 10:27:57 PM »
Ryan:

There won't really be any "added publicity" for some time, until Tiger has some courses under his belt.  (If anyone can afford his services!)  But it really has no effect on whether a normal golf course project will succeed or fail, and thus no effect on most other architects or the business at large, unless Tiger builds something really different and others feel compelled to follow suit.
Tom,
Would it be fair to say that the tiger group will be sure to have the highest fee in the business and will require the developer to allow a budget more than the other signature pros.....thus increasing the price of golf real estate and golf  ......
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jim Nugent

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 12:12:06 AM »
Is there another Bill Coore out there, who might team with Tiger as well as Coore did with Crenshaw?  If so, can anyone suggest names?  

Can Tiger give as much time to architecture as Crenshaw did when he started?

Doug Siebert

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 01:06:24 AM »
I won't be surprised it Tiger concentrates on the public course market first, trying to do a Rustic Canyon type thing.  I think he's genuinely interested in growing the game at the middle-class level.

I don't really see how that's possible, unless Tiger doesn't charge anything like the fee he could reasonably command.  Because a course that charges Pebble Beach level green fees sure as hell isn't going to grow the game at the middle class level!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 08:54:50 AM »
Tom,
Would it be fair to say that the tiger group will be sure to have the highest fee in the business and will require the developer to allow a budget more than the other signature pros.....thus increasing the price of golf real estate and golf  ......
Mike

Mike,

Let's make the correction first before we mark up the real estate again for Tiger to pay for the diesel for his boat:

From today's NYT's

PHOENIX — Until recently, this fast-growing area was a paradise on earth for home builders. Fulton Homes’ developments, for example, were so popular last year that it was able to raise prices on its new homes by $1,000 to $10,000 almost every week.

“People were standing in line for lotteries,” recalled Douglas S. Fulton, president of the company, one of the largest private builders in the Phoenix area. And they were “camping overnight begging to be the next number in the next lot in the next house.”

No more.

Today, it is the company’s sales agents that do most of the waiting. Not only are there few new customers to talk to, but many buyers who put down a deposit are not even bothering to come back for the walk-through.

“All of a sudden, they just don’t show up,” Mr. Fulton said, noting that such cancellations often mean the buyers forfeit as much as 5 percent of the price. The reason? The prospective buyers got cold feet or simply could not sell their old home.

The striking contrast tells the tale of a housing bonanza turned bust. Today, the number of unsold homes in the area has soared to almost 46,000 from just a few thousand in early 2005. And builders are pulling back as fast as they can.

They have little choice. Sales cancellations among big builders, not just here but around the country, are running as high as 40 percent, double the rate a year ago.

Across the nation, new-home sales are down by more than 20 percent from their peak last year. Prices fell almost 10 percent in September from a year ago. And that reported drop does not take into account the extras that builders are throwing in free or at steep discounts to lure buyers, which means that effective prices are even lower.

The reversal in fortune is at its starkest here in the West. For-sale signs in some new subdivisions are so common that Janet L. Yellen, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, recently described them as “the new ghost towns of the West.”

Tumbleweeds may not be blowing through the dozen new developments along Hunt Highway in and around Tempe, but driving down the two-lane road about 30 miles southeast of downtown Phoenix provides a revealing look into the area’s now vanished housing boom.

If I was Tiger, I would head overseas for my first few courses.

Aaron Katz

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 10:32:38 AM »
I won't be surprised it Tiger concentrates on the public course market first, trying to do a Rustic Canyon type thing.  I think he's genuinely interested in growing the game at the middle-class level.

I don't really see how that's possible, unless Tiger doesn't charge anything like the fee he could reasonably command.  Because a course that charges Pebble Beach level green fees sure as hell isn't going to grow the game at the middle class level!

I was actually surmising that perhaps Tiger will not charge the fees that he could; that he'd do something between full-pay and pro bono work.

JESII

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 10:35:23 AM »
That would not surprise me either Aaron, although I have to bet his first job or two will be ultra-high dollar international (probably Asia) projects.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »
Didn't Tiger work behind the scenes with Gil Hanse and Brad Faxon on the TPC of Boston? Hanse and Woods might be an interesting tandem . . .

Jay Flemma

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 11:50:56 AM »
I bet he'll sell alot of real estate and land a major pretty quickly.

David Sneddon

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 02:53:33 PM »
Can Tiger give as much time to architecture as Crenshaw did when he started?

He may have the time, but I doubt he will have the energy.  Just last week he was too tired to even play golf, poor soul.
  ::) ::) ::)
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Gary Slatter

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2006, 03:56:05 PM »
I imagine Tiger will also be the client - he'll build the courses for himself (his foundation will run them) so First Tee graduates will have a place to play.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back