News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Bandon #4 - Boundary Questions
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
Questions for Tom Doak if you are reading and any of this is available for public consumption.

I'm looking at Google Earth and it appears that #4 will be built on the land adjacent to PacDunes #15 - correct?

Will it include the remaining coast land between PacDunes #13 and the Sheep Ranch?

Will the inland part of the course extend as far north as Whiskey Run Rd?

Will the course be confined by what appears to be an extension of Brown Rd. on the east?

Could this course encroach on part of the land that is currently the Sheep Ranch?

Do you have a preset acreage to work with, or is there some flexibility?

It doesn't appear that the land offers more than about 40 feet of elevation change (between 100 and 140 feet above the beach) - is this accurate?

I'll take as few or as many answers you can provide!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 01:30:53 AM by Tim Bert »

Tim Bert

Re:Bandon #4 - Boundary Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »
bump - there's been a lot of discussion on people's opinions of this course (that hasn't even been designed yet, let alone built or played.)  I'm just looking for a few facts about the site.  

Are the answers to any of these questions already determined or are they still to be determined at the upcoming meeting?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 12:17:44 PM »
Tim:

The clubhouse will most likely be to the north of the practice facility and the irrigation pond for Pacific Dunes, on the inland side of the big dune which runs north from Pacific #17.

There will be about five holes of the new course on that side of the dune.  Two holes will play up over the big dune, and the rest will be on the ocean side, going up to the back side of the big dune on #13 at Pacific, alongside 14 and 15 to near 15 green, and then over to the dune.  The big dune on the east side is certainly more than 40 feet high, so there is a bit more elevation change than you think ... the topography is more comparable to Bandon Dunes than to Pacific in that regard.

The resort master plan shows some limited development along the ocean-view property on the north rim overlooking Whiskey Run Road.  We certainly won't go across the road and up onto the Sheep Ranch with the new golf course because of topography, access, and a whole host of other factors.

As you know, there are big dunes along the edge of the cliffs north of Pacific Dunes 13th green.  At present I don't anticipate being able to build anything there, since it wouldn't be feasible without tearing into those dunes, but I'm sure there will be some discussion about that.  (Don't hold your breath.)

I would just like to say at this point, that I think it's about time to put a gag order on this project.  Once we started building Pacific Dunes, I invited everyone to come out and see what we were doing -- but I didn't do that two years before we started, and I didn't make lots of posts about it or answer 1,000 questions because not that many people were interested until a bunch of the holes were ready for play.  That is the same approach I take with our latest projects -- whether it's in Scotland or Bend or Napa -- no use talking about them before they're close to complete.

Likewise, I didn't post any of these topics about Old Macdonald.  I'm trying to answer questions, but at some point the questions overwhelm the work, and they are certainly getting ahead of the game.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 12:19:44 PM by Tom_Doak »

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 12:49:27 PM »
I appreciate the answers and I also appreciate the fact that it will become tiresome trying to answer questions for three years.  I fully respect your right to decline to answer at any time.

Anyone (not named Doak) insightful enough to grab any pictures looking off of 15 so we can see what type of land we're dealing with here?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 12:51:02 PM »
Tim:  Most of it is covered by gorse so you won't see the undulations too well.  There are many, but only a few of them as big as eight feet high.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back