News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

How many clubs actually know how many rounds they played???
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:27:59 PM »
There definitely is much talk of courses closing at a greater rate than openings...and many say play is down.....it may be ..but htere are many instances of clubs actually not knowing how many rounds were played.  for instance as more people walk many private clubs lose count of rounds because no one checks in to take a cart......even though it may be down, I don't think most clubs know how many rounds they play....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bob_Huntley

Re:How many clubs actually know how many rounds they played???
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:30:24 PM »
Mike,

We have a method whereby everyone who tees off notifies the Pro Shop. I think this is the policy at many clubs.

Bob

Jim Thompson

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:41:38 PM »
Mike,

Every course I have ever been involved with has known every round ever played.  All daily fee courses should know this, if for no other reason than to verify there greens fee revenues on a daily basis.  I watch this number on a schedule that matches up weekdays and weekends throughout the season.

Cheers!

JT
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:43:35 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:50:39 PM »
From what I have heard from experienced managers, many, many courses don't know how many rounds are played, when, by whom, etc.  This is a problem for those who need data to determine how to best maximize revenue, space out demand, etc.

The big management companies have been trying to address this with software, etc.  However, I don't know of any software that can monitor the first tee!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 09:01:06 PM »
Mike,

We have a method whereby everyone who tees off notifies the Pro Shop. I think this is the policy at many clubs.

Bob
Bob
We have a similar method....but it doesn't work....when a club is a dues paying club instead of a per round.....I tend to agree with JB below.....
Jim,
I have owned a daily fee with the entire software package for green fees etc......on specific days when one pro was there we would have full tee times and then the next saturday with another in the shop we would have scattered tee times and many lessons(but the cash was the same).....bt I do agree it is easier when it is paid per round instead of dues.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jim Thompson

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 09:20:46 PM »
Mike,

The latter scenario bothers me the MOST in the business.  Just as cash drawer reconciliations that are over scare me as well.  I can understand a guy getting swamped in the shop with people galore and making register errors while keeping the sheet up to date.  After all who in their right mind wants to be considered part of a short drawer.  In my experience, the over drawer has almost always been a sure tell sign of someone being up to something and rarely is it good.  Their logic is that if the drawer is over they must be okay, who could find fault with extra money right?  I've also found the the software based tee system just makes the entire process more cumbersome.  We use pencil and paper, reconcile the starter sheets to the shop sheets, and the drawer back to them on a shift audit basis.  I also intentionally short or over drawers during shifts and expect to see that same difference at the end of the day.  This method always gets the smart ones as they tend to actually count back drawers and to their own recs trying to make sure everything balances and sneak under the radar.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Doug Siebert

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »
With all the money coming in and out, surely if they needed to know this number and didn't enforce a policy where everyone had to come in to the pro shop before teeing off, they could install a camera that records the action at the first tee.  If you run through it at high speed you could count how many teed from from #1 in a few minutes.  Heck, have a microphone on a par 5 count the 'tink' sounds from metal woods and that should about equal the number of players playing it unless its a hole that requires a lot of re-teeing or you get an oddball like me who occasionally plays a par 5 with a 1 iron off the tee if I can't reach or want to prevent myself from trying :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 12:16:04 AM »
Do any of you course operators know how many "unauthorized" rounds you get each year?  i.e. where they snuck on without paying at all?  

Not a huge problem I would think, but wonder if you have a handle on it.  

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 01:12:49 AM »
Ask Phil the Author.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 05:31:43 AM »
We also know every round played.  It is our policy for a player to check in at the Golf Shop and see the starter to access the course with a guest.  This is also the procedure for obtaining a cart or caddie.  We do not permit a bag being carried by a player until after 3 PM and even then the starter must be notified.  Outings are billed by the number of players and also must use a cart or a caddie.  Finally, we even have a written pass system for Caddie day which is monitored by security with the caddies name and date to prevent unauthorized play.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Marc Haring

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 05:49:07 AM »
We have a till and registration point. Everyone gets a ticket whether they are paying or not. The starter has the registration till linked to a PC so they can check that everyone has got a ticket. If they don't come up on their PC, they go out and check their tickets. That way we are sure everyone is logged.

I can pretty much tell you exactly how many rounds have been played on a monthly basis by each catogory of golfer over many years. This is invaluable when working out trends and what areas we need to target as regards promotion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back