News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Pennell

Royal Ashdown Forest (Old)
« on: October 16, 2006, 02:51:29 PM »
Next up Royal Ashdown Forest (Old Course). I’d read quite a bit on GCA about it, Mark Rowlinson’s recommendations and Ran’s review in particular, and Tom Doak describes it as “one of the most natural courses in the world”. I was also keen to get down there having spent a whole morning recently thinking about how many of my favourite holes were bunkerless. The Old Course has no bunkers at all.

It’s a wonderfully quiet place, and the course covers such a large expanse that in some places you are utterly isolated. There are also some parts where several holes come together, but the overall impression is of a peaceful, private game among the trees.

My playing partner and I played matchplay and had a great, close game that only ended on the 18th green, when the ridge running across the putting surface fooled me into taking four to get down when I should have taken two. There are plenty of places you can ruin a score on the course, with blind drives and treacherous, tempting second shots, but even when you make the relatively flat greens, you can still have your work cut out.

I particularly loved the par-5 holes, each one with its own charms and temptations. The 5th hole could sit alongside any other I’ve played I think. Playing matchplay intensified the risks of certain holes and shots and made the whole experience more enjoyable. 24 hours later I broke my wrist and I haven’t played since :'(, so Royal Ashdown Forest remains clearer in my mind than it really ought to, but I don’t mind that!

The opening teeshot.

1st green, everything falls right.

Blind teeshot at the 2nd .

Approach to the 2nd green, over a ditch and sleeper wall.

Approach to the short, dogleg left 3rd. The white-lined area directs traffic through an area of heather regeneration, which could add further interest to the course. Some of the heather has been thoroughly trampled and has suffered as a result.

Second shot to the uphill 4th hole.

Tee-shot at the wonderful 5th.

The second shot at the 5th will be anything from 180 to 250 yards (to the green) but even if you decide to lay up extreme precision or a slice of luck is required. The diagonal road visible here is accompanied by a ditch!

Looking back up the hole from the green I have failed to capture how daunting the hazard in front makes an approach of any length. With firm conditions and out-of-bounds behind the green, to have an eagle putt is a serious achievement. My opponent had one, and we halved in 5. What a hole.

Teeshot at the 125 yard 6th.

Tough teeshot at the 7th. Aim over the tree just right of the marker as everything left of that kicks further left…

…a good teeshot leaves this tough to judge second. Stroke index 1.

The 8th, another great long hole. The green is barely visible behind huge mounds, distance tough to judge.

Looking back up the 8th.

More to follow…
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Royal Ashdown Forest (Old)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:57:29 PM »
Richard,  I can't wait!  These are wonderful.  Isn't the 7th a brute!  

Noel Freeman

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:11:20 PM »
Where's a pic of the all world 17th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:44:11 PM »
Richard -

Did you play Royal Ashdown Forest within a day or two of playing New Zealand? The reason I ask is that the turf at RAF looks far less lush than at NZ. Am I right about that?

I wonder if NZ irrigates and RAF does not?

In any case, thanks for the pix and keep them coming!

DT

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 03:45:40 PM »
Craig Disher has been raving about this place for years.  I can see why.  Thank you for posting these photos.  Let's see some more.

Richard Pennell

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 04:36:20 PM »
Okay, so the match is all square and we’re scoring pretty well for our first game at a course that is clearly easier if you know where you’re going. Then the back nine starts in pretty uncompromising fashion.

10th teeshot…

…and the long second shot.

The terrifying teeshot at the 249 yard par-3 11th…

…and the distant green. I can’t believe this hole. There was no obvious location for a forward tee, so perhaps it has always been this long. There is no bailout area. I think this must be the highest point on the course and we played it into a headwind. What a challenge, though.

Followed by the teeshot at the 12th…

and looking back from the green, some 568 yards later. Don’t miss left, though.

Looking back across the valley of the 13th. The back tee is right at the top of that narrow chute opposite.

The teeshot at the 15th.

The 15th green, one of the trickier surfaces to read.

The approach to the 16th involves a forced carry over this band of heather just short of the green, which makes judgement of distance harder and very important.

For Noel Freeman, another blind teeshot at the 17th…

…and from 180 yards out, the target (is barely visible!)…

…and the contours don’t really help much

The final teeshot. The heather banked hollow is a good carry with anything but a driver or 3 wood.

And the final green, with the tricky slope dissecting the green and costing me a tenner!

David Tepper – in answer to your question, New Zealand was late April or early May I think – Tony may know the exact date, but the weather was starting to warm up. Ashdown Forest was the 4th August, after a long period without rain and with very high temperatures for England. I don’t think either course had fairway irrigation. I was surprised how green New Zealand looked in the photos, though. It certainly didn’t play as soft and lush as it perhaps looked.

Mark, thanks for recommending it. Glad you’re enjoying them.

Cheers
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »
This is the course whose Charter forbids artificial bunkers, correct?

It has to be the poster child for the "bunkerless course" we talk about around here from time to time.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 05:39:19 PM »
Great Report Richard it now moves up into my top five of courses to play in 2007.  Cornish and Whitten credit the Reverend AT Scott but they don't list any other courses by him.  Can Tom MacWood or anyone else tell  us if there was ever a bigger "one hit wonder" in the world of GCA?  (OK Crump is hereby disqualified).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 05:39:38 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Craig Disher

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 09:43:04 PM »
RAF is a very special place. There are so many great holes here it's hard to pick a favorite. And how many courses are set up so the tee shots on the 1st and 18th holes cross each other?

Anyone who hasn't played there in more than a year will be surprised by the number of trees that have been removed. The views of the 6th green and from the 7th tee are good examples.

T_MacWood

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:20:56 AM »
Tony
You might be right about the Reverend...although there was some improvin' over the years by Jack Rowe and Horace Hutchinson.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back