News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Eagle Ridge at Yatesville Lake SP, KY
« on: October 16, 2006, 12:07:26 AM »
Watch these. Maybe you will see something of what I am saying about KY State Golf Trail. Nt the greatest vid clarity, but ER really is something to play. My friends all though so too, when they made this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llkJIbwxRXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur1-PLwJHmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w534qTLe44Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N7C84bbK00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRCV1KyVn7U

Enjoy;

Doug

cary lichtenstein

Re:Eagle Ridge at Yatesville Lake SP, KY
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:12:05 AM »
Looks like fun to me :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jg7236

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 11:30:17 AM »
Wow, that course has some extreme elevation change.  Who designed the course?  Where exactly is the course located in Kentucky?

jg7236

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:01:45 PM »
Thanks for the info Charlie...

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »
Charlie;

Tough course indeed. The course 'only' slopes 144, but the front nine slopes 153(!). The fourth hole is perhaps the most difficult and one of the most dramatic par-5's in all of golf.

Eagle Ridge is indeed credited to Steve Forrest. But I suspect many here would like the very simplicity of it. Very little earth moved [except for the ABSOLUTELY OBLIGATORY cartpaths  :D ]. It was laid out well on a piece of land some would scream to see, while some few of us smile. It is a course that, indeed, may not be everyone's 'cup of tea'. If you hate trees, or vertical land, or never want to see your ball disappear into a deep chasm, play Hidden Cove instead.

Oh yes; Hidden Cove. Just a few miles northwest of ER is another Golf Trail masterpiece. Rated #4 'Best New Affordable' by Golf Digest 2005 [ALL publics in KY are 'affordable' by most standards], Hidden Cove is much lest vertical than it's brother, but very challenging, beautiful, and natural. The Ault Brothers bring us this lovely piece, and Dale Hollow [#6 Best New same year].

I KNOW that Kentucky simply does not occur to most as a golf 'destination'. But you are mistaken. While you are enjoying the 'Trail' in Eastern kentucky, stop by a non-State course called Stonecrest in Prestonsburg.

Again, I do NOT work for KY, in fact have recently moved to Ohio; but Kentucky has very much to offer by way of great courses. True; most are 'tree infested' like the land, and not for everyone on GCA, I suppose. But some true architecture has taken place there, nonetheless.

Doug

Brad Swanson

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 03:49:43 PM »
How much play does this course get due to Ricky Bobby and his buddies getting to live out their NASCAR dreams in golf carts after the steep downhill shots? ;)

Shake and Bake!

Cheers,
Brad

Doug Ralston

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »
Charlie;

I am happy you appreciate #7. Everyone agrees that #4 is kneeshaking, and #13 breathtaking. But #7 is pure golf. When there was a thread here on trees in the fairway, I wanted to mention how that one affects #7 at ER, but so few people here have seen it, so I didn't feel I would be understood.

Last time I played it, I tried to hit my second, a 7-wood, across those bunkers on the left side of the approach. The wind was against me and my ball floated up, and down in the very deepest one. Oi! While this hole is reachable by long hitters, I think we shorter ones almost have to accept a 125-140yd third, just to avoid my fate in that steep sandy hades. What a hole!

Almost no one ever hits just one shot from the tee on #13. Even a great 1st shot is usually followed by others just for fun! BTW, when I told on here that the drop was 240ft, I met with some skepticism, because the picture I could provide is expanded, making it look less vertical. It is very difficult for photos to show that much drop on a 'flat screen'. Please confirm  ;)

Glad some others here have enjoyed this unique course. Have you also played Hidden Cove? Stonecrest? How about Twisted Gun in W Va? All fairly near ER, and great courses!

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 06:53:16 PM »
ROFL Charlie;

Just read your last post more carefully. Wet cartpaths? Holy crap! My friend Ron described the origional cartpaths [before they modified with some slightly better traverses] as: "would make the Jamacian Bobsled Team weak in the knees". You musta had some nervous moments that day!

Well, one person here assured me he would walk the course ...........  ::). That is carrying the 'must walk' craze to absurdity.

Doug

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 12:53:03 AM »
Here is a link with some excellent pictures of the course, along with descriptions of several holes...

http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/Pages/Photo%20Pages/Eagle%20Ridge%20photo.html

JeffTodd

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:49:26 AM »
Has anyone ever played Eagle Ridge after a lot of rain? I'm picturing balls plugged a foot deep after a drop like that.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 02:34:49 PM »
Jim;

Ron is a flatlands golfer who, like many here, does not usually like courses he cannot walk. ER, and to a lesser extent Hidden Cove, are not very walkable [to say the least!]. He has admitted that he will like it better after learning some of the ideal target areas. ER is almost the quintessential target golf course. No one can deny it is fun though.

Charlie;

#13 is a GREAT hole, strategically speaking; though I admit I speak for myself in this opinion. I am not a long hitter, so must lay it out in the fairway. The temeptation of long hitter to 'go for it' is almost irresistable from up there. Yet: Left is DEAD! Long put you into that lovely catching area beyond the falloff back. Right is right! If you hit the rocks above the right side, about 90% of the time it will bounce nicely back into the fairway. So, for me, I aim for left middle and count on my natural 'banana' to bounce of the rocks. This is so much fun that if I succeed, I try again anyway. Hit, put my club up, get a sip, come back to watch it land!!  :D

Another hole I love are #2, where I hit a medium iron over as close to the chasm as I dare. Good lies over there and just a 9-iron across that chasm to a green with a bit of backstop from that direction. Unfortunately, my occasional mishits love to occur when hitting across ER's chasms ...... I keep them well stocked with salable used balls.

Holes #6. #15, and #18 are great too. And all those tough par-3's. Simply, to me, the most fun course I have played.

You are right, Twisted Gun is a gem WAY in the 'rough'. But since we were there for a multi-day trip, we had plenty of time. And the course is in a breathtaking mountain vista. Also quite well designed and enjoyable.

The Oaks is a tradgedy! There are few courses with as much potential. Hurdzan & Associates wrough mightily. They thought too it was gonna be a private course for the Execs at Ashland Oil. But then Ashland moved their headquarters and the course is not a tax writeoff for the owner ..... thus the sad conditions. The good news? This is the last year it can be written off. The palns apparently ARE for massive upgrade, selling adjacent property for housing [already well underway], and being a development course. Hope so, this course has unlimited potential.

Doug

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 02:45:50 PM »
Does the starter give you a parachute to put on when you get to 13 in case you fall off the tee box?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back