News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Eye Candy
« on: October 07, 2006, 11:39:59 AM »

What course?

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

cary lichtenstein

Re:Eye Candy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 02:12:08 PM »
8 at Pebble
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 02:34:07 PM »
Could be Royal Tarlair.  Of course, I only saw it once, 24 years ago.

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:13:09 PM »
I believe a nearby phone booth is somewhat famous, at least in "local" circles.

And its neighbor has something in common with a certain week in April down South.

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 04:15:28 PM »
My first thought was Pebble#8, but I've never seen flags like that there. Also, I'm pretty sure the cliffs don't have that much grass at the end of the fairway at Pebble. The grass is there near the green where the slope isn't as steep. Also, the rough in the distance looks too thick to be Pebble.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andy Levett

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »
I played here this summer, in company with a bloke I met on the first tee. He'd played the course once before, with a member. When we got to this hole we were both stunned by the drop shot par 3 to top all drop shot par 3s but he was confused, as he had no memory of it whatsoever.
After a while he worked out that the other time he played the course the member he was with had turned him around on the tee to skip the hole, playing instead to the following green. Why? Well, it avoided the long slog straight back up the hill, steeper than it looks in the picture.
There are one or two other memorable holes, notably a long-ish par 4 (or short-ish par 5) which bananas around the sea cliff from right to left but on the whole its a big sloping field dotted with gorse plantations.  

Andy Levett

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 04:36:19 PM »
I forgot my camera but google offers this view from the other end,  the tee may be further left.

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 04:43:23 PM »
Andy:

The hole that was skipped is (pretty much) the entire reason to play the course!

I think you're correct about the camera angle -- the tee as I recall it was somewhat to the left of that frame.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »
Old Head?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 05:09:08 PM »

Very nice TD, et al.

And yes, you can see Pennan from that green.

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 06:37:14 PM »
OK, but in the tradition of Scott B's aerials, I'm waiting for answers to the clues, not just the photos!!

Thanks, Gary, for letting me crib in here....

Gary Daughters

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 07:17:12 PM »

Phil,

Are these the answers?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back