News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re:Pay up, Arnie!!
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2006, 05:05:15 PM »
John: I guess you didn't read what Wayne had to say.

RT

I did, and it is clear to me I'll agree to disagree with you.  Phil Mickelson is an immensely popular player today.  He's a golf champion.  He plays very, very well and is liked very, very much.  And he's charitable.  There are a lot of similarities to Palmer from my viewpoint.

Chi Chi Rodriguez gives a lot back to the game of golf with his facilities to help at-risk youth.  Joe Louis Barrow serves as the head of the First Tee (I think) and probably is paid a nominal salary.  (I apologize if he has an outsized United Way pay package.)  Arnold Palmer's chief contribution to the game is that he played it, which he would have probably done anyway he loves it so much.

I am separating one's 'significance' from their 'contribution to' a sport or art.  Wayne makes a valid point I hadn't considered about the trips to the UK to play in the Open Championship.  

The USGA paid (I think, apologies if I'm wrong) Palmer to be a face on the campaign to get people to contribute.  Lo and behold, Ely Callaway paid him to help sell drivers.  There's nothing wrong with this, but it sure doesn't look like he became active in the USGA because it is the right thing to do like Billy Joe Patton or whatever other guy you want to name.

wsmorrison

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
Phil is not liked by his fellow competitors, and it isn't because of his winnings.  Rather he is disliked.  He may have lots of fans.  I can't understand why.  Maybe they like that he plays the game a bit like Arnie did.  Why those knucklehead New Yorkers go gaga over him, I'll never understand.  

Arnold Palmer is beloved by today's touring pros---they know better than we who they have to thank.  It is clearly Arnie that they pay tribute to and have for many decades.  They can't all be wrong.

John,

I respect your opinion but disagree with you.  Did he turn you down for an autograph at an event in your youth?   ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2006, 05:23:28 PM »
For everyone outraged, please consider the fact that this was a simple mistake, nothing more, and Arnold exhibited his class by simply extending his credit card, rather than creating a scene. Heck, for all we know, whomever went over the CC receipts saw his and credited him back.

Unless one has personal knowledge over another's activities, I'd say it is damn near impossible to judge whether or not that person "gave back" or "gave to his cause" or whatever. Some people prefer quiet charity.

And if he got paid to do promotion, that sounds like a win-win to me. Too often, people are judged by their motives rather than actions. (Some would argue people are screwing up the world by this.... :))
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John_Conley

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »
Did he turn you down for an autograph at an event in your youth?   ;)

I do believe it is true that Arnold Palmer never turned down an autograph.  He handled his megastar status with tremendous grace.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2006, 05:30:31 PM »
George,

Nobody is mad at Bandon as we all like to see another Angel get his wings...

Robert Thompson

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2006, 05:46:47 PM »
For everyone outraged, please consider the fact that this was a simple mistake, nothing more, and Arnold exhibited his class by simply extending his credit card, rather than creating a scene. Heck, for all we know, whomever went over the CC receipts saw his and credited him back.

Unless one has personal knowledge over another's activities, I'd say it is damn near impossible to judge whether or not that person "gave back" or "gave to his cause" or whatever. Some people prefer quiet charity.

And if he got paid to do promotion, that sounds like a win-win to me. Too often, people are judged by their motives rather than actions. (Some would argue people are screwing up the world by this.... :))

It actually sounds like Palmer thought it was funny. He has a sense of humour, something of which John Conley seems to be lacking.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

John_Conley

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2006, 06:40:46 PM »

He has a sense of humour, something of which John Conley seems to be lacking.

What do you call a prostitute with a runny nose?

Robert, internet communication loses almost all of its tone so it is very hard to use humorous techniques the way you would in speaking.  I do apologize, I've missed whatever humor there was.

I'll be the first to let you know when I read something funny.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 06:41:40 PM by John_Conley »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2006, 07:39:05 PM »
Wayne Morrison,

Come on, tell us your father-in-law's name.

Many years ago we cruised with Eddie Hearn's parents and learned a lot about the Mets, the drive to the World Series, and Eddie's brother Tommy who toiled in the mini-tours before finally qualifying for the PGA Tour.  Eddie got hurt and his career ended way too early.  I think he had other health problems and wrote an excellent motivational book.  The stories of how hard both boys worked (and the sacrifices the parents made) to reach their respective big leagues were incredible.

wsmorrison

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »
Lou,

Here's a clue:

He got the very first hit for the Mets organization and also was the last out to end the inaugural season, on a triple play I believe.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 07:49:38 PM by Wayne Morrison »

LBaker

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2006, 08:11:56 PM »
Did he break par??? ::)

Gary Daughters

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2006, 08:30:54 PM »

Richie Ashburn
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

wsmorrison

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2006, 08:35:09 PM »
Good going, Gary.

John_Conley

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2006, 09:19:30 PM »
Wayne, seeing your name and reading the baseball post got me thinking.  The Tigers had a player named Morrison - I don't think it was Jim - and when he came to bat in the Metrodome the organist would play the tune that accompanies the lyrics

c'mon
c'mon
c'mon
now touch me babe

Hey, Richie Ashburn, isn't he the one with the hot daughter? ;)

Phil McDade

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2006, 09:24:08 PM »
Wayne:

Impressive lineage. The librarian/records guy at the newspaper I used to work at in Wisconsin is related somehow to Robin Roberts, who I believe shared a clubhouse w/ Richie. Six degrees and all that.

Has Finegan ever expounded on his views of Manufacturers vs. other Flynn-Philly courses?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2006, 09:45:19 PM »

Since it's just us Jerry guys still in, another point:

Garcia and the boys, before Al Gore invented the internet, (and before anyone else) were the first "content providers" among the big media.  They figured out that, ironically, they could make more money by giving their songs away.. via concert tapers, the precursor to today's internet bloggers.

The papers and magazines still seem to struggle with that concept.

Remind anyone of a certain media savvy golfer/emperor?

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Bill Gayne

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2006, 10:03:29 PM »
I would gladly pay Arnie's green fee on any course, carry his bag, and clean his shoes afterward. It would be a complete honor.

John_Conley

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2006, 10:46:07 PM »
The librarian/records guy at the newspaper I used to work at in Wisconsin is related somehow to Robin Roberts, who I believe shared a clubhouse w/ Richie.

And Robin Roberts nephew is Lawrence Roberts, SEC POY at Miss. St. after his Blissful transfer out of Baylor.

What's that you say?  A different Robin Roberts?  Never mind.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back