News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Pay up, Arnie!!
« on: September 30, 2006, 07:53:16 PM »
GolfWorld reports Arnold Palmer commenting. "That's the first time I've paid to play golf since I was 17". Where was the golf club that would actually charge the great champion to play their obviously precious course?

Yeah, that's right. Bandon Dunes! D-uh ...........

Isn't "Even Arnold Palmer plays here enough to be worth a few bucks? *stare*

Doug

ed_getka

Re:Pay up, Arnie!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:57:17 PM »
Doug,
   Are you sure about the facts on this one? I just can't imagine ANY public course charging Arnold Palmer to play golf.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:01:05 PM »
AP doesn't pay dues at ANGC?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 10:19:28 PM »
Doug,
   Are you sure about the facts on this one? I just can't imagine ANY public course charging Arnold Palmer to play golf.

This was in Golfweek a week ago.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 10:36:33 PM »
Maybe he wanted to wear shorts.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:04:10 PM »
The first time I played Bandon Dunes I was paired with a Class A pro from Arizona.  He was comp'ed.  So even if he wasn't Arnold Palmer, he is a member of the PGA and probably received his green fees complimentry?  

Furthermore, don't you think Mike Keiser would probably like to play with Palmer to get his thoughts and Mike would most likely not ask him to pay?

What course did he play?

rjsimper

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 11:47:50 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2006/09/24/sgdiar24.xml

I sincerely doubt this was a conscious insistence on the part of BD to charge full freight - the most practical speculation I can find here is that the counter attendant simply did not recognize the man...we find that inconceivable, but how about someone that just happens to live in Coastal Oregon and doesn't know a lick about golf...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 11:48:31 PM by Ryan Simper »

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 07:29:55 AM »
Good for Bandon Dunes if there is any truth to that story.

Mr. Palmer has enough money that he can cough up a couple hundred bucks to play on of the finest courses in the world.

I think of it as a refund of a slight portion of the design fee he charged for Gillette Ridge.  Then Kemper Sports got stuck with the unmanageable nightnare.  They're slowly getting their money back.

noonan

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 08:00:09 AM »
What a travesty.

For all Arnie had done for golf he should never pay.

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
I think travesty is a bit strong.  For all that Arnie has done for the sport; the sport has done plenty for him as well.  He should be more than greatful that he's been able to live the life he's been able to lead thanks to playing a game for a living.  This isn't an Arnie specific rant; same comment goes for any legendary sports figure.

A couple hundred bucks?  No impact.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 09:57:13 AM »

Mr. Palmer has enough money that he can cough up a couple hundred bucks to play on of the finest courses in the world.

I think of it as a refund of a slight portion of the design fee he charged for Gillette Ridge.  Then Kemper Sports got stuck with the unmanageable nightnare.  They're slowly getting their money back.

Since when did the ability to pay indicate the necessity to pay?

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 10:28:02 AM »
Any guess as to which course in the Philadelphia district is Arnie's favorite?  Hint:  It isn't Merion or Pine Valley.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »
Any guess as to which course in the Philadelphia district is Arnie's favorite?  Hint:  It isn't Merion or Pine Valley.

Commonwealth?  :P
My guess would be Philadelphia Country Club.

wsmorrison

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »
Kyle,

I answered for you in IM.

Any guess as to Jim Finegan's favorite Flynn in Philadelphia?  Hint:  It isn't Philadelphia Country, one of his several club affiliations.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 10:43:08 AM »
Wayne,

Is it Oakmont?
Rolling green maybe?
Even HVCC?

wsmorrison

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 10:51:03 AM »
Jordan,

Which question are you answering?  

In any case, Oakmont is not in the Philadelphia district -- it is in western PA not far from Pittsburgh.  Philadelphia is an old, rather famous city of firsts on the other side of the state  ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 10:58:16 AM »
I've always thought one of the real ironies of life was that, if you're a wealthy celebrity, you get a lot of things for free.

Really, this anecdote is more funny than anything else.

I'm also not surprised Jordan would think Pittsburgh is that close to Philly. While in school in Philly, almost everyone I encountered seemed to think the Burgh was practically a Philly suburb.

5 hours on the Turnpike, worlds apart in attitude....

:)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 11:18:54 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »
George - I think it was Trevino who said the same thing once, that when he was  poor nobody gave him anything, then when he got rich everybody was giving him free stuff...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tim Bert

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 12:05:14 PM »

Since when did the ability to pay indicate the necessity to pay?

Where did I indicate a necessity to pay?  I simply dont have a problem with a course charging someone the greens fee if they want to.  It's a business and they can can decide who pays or who does not.  I jut don't think this incident is shocking or newsworthy.  While I'm sure it was an oversight on Bandon's Dunes part, I find it refreshing.

Alan Carter

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 02:14:54 PM »
I too have no trouble with a golf course charging someone a green fee.  I do have a problem with a golf course charging Mr. Palmer.  I think this speaks volumes as to the golf knowledge that we have working at our facilities today.

I admire Mr. Palmer for simply pulling out his credit card and not creating a scene at the counter.  Another true testament into the integrity of the man.

I would certainly enjoy hearing the rest of the details behind this one.  There is likely more to this one.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 04:37:40 PM »
I think they asked him, "are you a member of GCA?"; when he shouted "No way!", he was charged double ...........

Doug

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 06:57:48 PM »
Good move by the staff. If he had complained, I would have said: Mr. Palmer, you have to pay the same amount as everyone, but you will be extended the same courtesy and service as everyone, too. Meaning that we will not ask you to pose for a photo with the superintendent, you do not have to sign any autographs and we will not make it known that you played here. This is a public course for the Golfer next door.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jason Mandel

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 07:47:25 PM »
Wayne,

I'll take a guess and say whitemarsh valley or gulph mills?

as for jim finegan, i'll guess gulph mills?

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »
Jason,

According to Jim Finegan (and he should know), Arnie's favorite Philadelphia area course is Philadelphia Country Club.

Jim Finegan's favorite Philadelphia area Flynn is Manufacturers Golf and CC.  That was a bit of a surprise to me.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 08:01:54 PM »
thanks wayne,

pcc is one of my favorites in the district as well, probably #3 or #4 with lancaster in there as well

sorry for the thread jumping, but i really cant imagine arnie has paid for golf on any public course, its pretty baffling to me.

mannys is a bit of a suprise, but maybe not so much after ron forse and jim nagle are done there!

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back