News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Ojai Inn
« on: September 28, 2006, 02:28:44 PM »
Anybody played Ojai since the "lost holes" were restored? How do you like the course overall?

By the way, I hear Hanse and Wagner did a great job at near by Soule Park.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Evan_Green

Re:Ojai Inn
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:31:24 PM »
David

The "restoration" of the lost holes was more of a re-design. I was not impressed in the context of restoration, but they aren't necessarily bad holes on their own right. They just arent George Thomas. If you saw what the original par 3 looked like versus what it looks like now you would cringe.

Overall the course is very worthwhile.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 02:33:50 PM by Evan_Green »

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »
Interesting, Evan. Would you recommend to someone to play it? Do you like the course overall?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Evan_Green

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:35:56 PM »
Absoultely worth playing. Its a really nice spot.

Some very good architecture as well. My favorite hole is #11 which is a really superb short par 4 dogleg right that twice crosses a ravine.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 02:38:32 PM »
David,
I'm not nearly as keen on the new holes as Eva. (Evan)

The new or lost holes for me are a complete disaster, with the Lost 3rd not being even close to a representation of what the original used to be, and it didn't have to be that way. The old gem was just sitting out there. Instead Carter Morrish erased and rebuilt something that is not only abhorrid to play, but simply ugly to look at.

The entire Ojai Valley Inn is a shadow of it's former self, more in a shadow from the mammoth spa and hotel which at current pace will devour the entire golf course someday. It's ashame too, because I truly do think it was one of our great courses here in SoCal--the original 1922 version.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 02:39:08 PM »
Thanks for changing that post Eva! ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 02:42:16 PM »
The 11th is a really good hole, but unfortunately it is no longer the 11th. It's the 2nd. That's how much they've screwed with this phenominal place. Is it worth it? Well, that's an interesting question. I have heard quite often just how bad of shape Ojai is in. The last time I was thereit wasn't bad, but it wasn't what you would expect for the rate they charge.

Architecturally, it's a place to go mourn the lost works of George C. Thomas and Billy Bell Sr. Just like Riviera.

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »
Evan and Tommy, it sounds like based on your comments that there might be better choices in the area. Have either of you played Soule Park?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 03:06:02 PM »
Evan and Tommy, it sounds like based on your comments that there might be better choices in the area. Have either of you played Soule Park?

Good layout, VERY busy muni, not usually in great shape and in my opinion not worth the out of the way drive. Play Rustic in Simi or Rancho San Marcos in Santa Barbara instead along with Sandpiper.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 03:21:42 AM »
David,
The last time I was out at Soule Park was when Gil and Jim where doing the vast reworking of the course which was going to be a huge improvement. From what I could see, Soule Park was going to have better looking, better built bunkers then Ojai Valley Inn, and that to me is just beyond words for OVI!

Much of the problems for OVI are in terms of what works best for them for their clientle, or at least what they think works best for them. They are a resort that relies on a history, dating all the way back into the early twenties when folks like Jimmy Cagney, Gable & Lombard and many more, frequented the Ojai Valley, just to get away,and that's exactly what it is in Ojai even today, a getaway! But the folks at Ojai, who are generally a very nice group of people, simply have utilized that history and turned it into a gimmick of sorts. They built a spa on top of one of the better original holes on the course, the former 6th, a tough little up-hill number with a huge, nasty Billy Bell bunker guarding the left side of the green. While the green and bunker are still there, a brand new trendy spa/hotel sits between it and the original tee.

For what seems to be about the 40th time, they've also changed the routing too. This time, the back becomes the front, and gone from the new opener is the back tee which used to stand guard ont the other sideof the road over-looking the valley of the 10th fairway. Gone also are the more important features of that hole, like the center bunker, as well as a set of guarding ones on the right side of the hill.

Ojai is very much removed from L.A., even though they like to advertise you can there in an hour. I myself, even like to go the extra long way out there, simple because its so beautiful. It's hard to believe an area like that is so close to L.A. even exists! (not only Ojai, but Fillmore, Santa Paula and Moorpark)

But getting back to the brunt of the question, is Ojai worth it?

Well, it's a difficult question to answer. Most of the Thomas is in great disrepair, or just simply doesn't exist anymore. Some fo the holes on the original may have been world class, like the original 14th, or even the 15th and the 16th! But like I had mentioned earlier, the entire course is a place to mourn GREAT golf. Because that's what it was at one time.

I hope that helps.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back