News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Links Magazine -Best Match Play Holes
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2006, 03:39:55 PM »
I thought you said that the Open course had NOT been mentioned, hence my focus on RSG when you said that both courses have now been mentioned.  Or did you edit it....never mind.

Carnoustie #6

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »
Peter, we crossed paths in cyberspace, and my extra confusion/typing killed me.   ;D :-[

peter_p

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »
Thanks to all who participated. Scott, sorry if I fouled you up. I will link to LINKS Magazine when the article gets to their website. Some good thoughts in the issue, not only in this article. Geoff points out that Max Behr wrote that the finest match play holes asks golfers "to assume immediate risks if he wishes to rid himself of future liablilities". While this holds true on the 4s and 5s, the par 3s chosen have extreme liablities for poorly executed shots.

Mike Benham

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2006, 04:00:42 PM »
For those keeping score at home, I eagled #6 at Carnoustie ...

That being said, where a hole falls on the scorecard has alot to do with how it good of a match play hole it would be.

If the Road Hole was the 2nd hole on the course, would it be considered one of the top 18 match play holes?  

How about doing a version from 1 to 18 based on where the fall on the card ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2006, 04:04:58 PM »
They didn't put Olympic #18 on there, did they?

They didn't, and I would add #17 if played as a par 5.  And, I think this hole would be a better stroke play hole as a par 5 also.  I think it would force players who needed a last chance to make a move an opportunity to get a birdie, but very reasonably make a bogie

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2006, 05:58:35 PM »
This won't be a popular choice based on people's opinions of this hole, but I think it's a terrific match play hole, due to the variety of scores possible.  TOC #18!  

peter_p

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2006, 06:54:46 PM »
Mike,
TOC 17 is a good match play hole, no matter where it is on the card.
Some of my prerequisites for a good match play hole. The higher the chance of a three shot swing, it is a good match play hole. If routine par is routine, it is not a good match play hole.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:56:20 PM by Peter Pittock »

Mike Benham

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2006, 08:27:25 PM »
But Peter, if you are in a match, its the 3rd hole, you are 1-down playing the Road Hole, does your butt pucker as much as it would if you were on the 17th hole of the match and 1-down?

Many matches won't even make it to the 17th hole ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

peter_p

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2006, 08:55:20 PM »
Mike,
Probably. But if I follow your logic, there aren't any worthwhile match play holes until at least the 10th. You just try and play the hole as best you can wherever it comes.
The only difference between TPC17 and TOC17 may be a tyop.
 From one oranger and black (OSU) to another.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:59:17 PM by Peter Pittock »

erichunter

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2006, 11:46:33 PM »
Re: Augusta #13.  Couldn't an argument be made that depending on the hole location that #15 would be the better match play Par 5?  

In recent Sunday Masters it seems like if a guy hits the fairway on 13 he inevitably hits it long on the green and treads carefully for his two putt birdie to the hole on the front right of the green.  Contrast that with the 2nd shot on 15 where the right center hole location brings a wider range of outputs.  For the deities who can hit a 3 iron higher than a mere mortal's wedge, they can knock it reasonably close for a run at eagle.  If they bail out right toward the grandstand an up and down birdie is no gimmie.  And of course there is the fronting pond if they catch it fat.  I would guess that there is a wider dispersion of scores.....does that make it a better match play hole?

Although I do concede the drive is much more interesting on 13.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back