News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Oakmont PICTURES/UPDATED
« on: August 12, 2006, 03:50:30 PM »
After spending my entire summer on the infamous golf course I can truly say I do not have a favorite.

Is this a sign of a truly perfect golf course when the variety and strategy of each hole is just as great as the other?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 03:33:26 PM by Ryan Farrow »

Tom_Doak

Re:Oakmont, can you find a favorite?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 04:05:46 PM »
Ryan:

If you keep going back and forth about different holes as favorites, that's a very good thing.  I'll assume that's what you mean.  But if you just don't think any hole stands out above any other, I'm not sure that would be a very good thing at all.

I always thought the 17th was the worst hole on the course, it just seemed out of character ... a driveable par-4 which was a little too far to drive, plus you had to hit it over trees to about a ten-yard-wide target.  The course needed some of that kind of variety, but it just seemed like their heart was not in that one.  Now that the trees are gone and everyone hits it further, maybe my opinion of the hole would be entirely different.

I would list the fourth, fifth, ninth, twelfth, and eighteenth as my favorite holes.  But I haven't seen any of them in about ten years.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 05:37:20 PM »
I think Ryan's second sentence is the key to understanding his point, which I happen to agree with in regard to Oakmont.

I'm a little surpised you didn't mention 1 or 10, Tom.

Or 2, or 3, or 6, or....

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 05:58:08 PM »
Tom, I find it funny that you say 17 is the worst hole on the golf course. I’m sure it has a lot to do with the course you saw 10 years ago and the one that is here today, as you mentioned. 17 is indeed one of the holes I could have chosen as my favorite. The bunker complex on the front left scream trouble which will make players favor the right side more. But the biggest trouble lies in 15 foot deep bunker fronting the right side of the green. I ended up a little short and right of the bunker and that is where the hole begins to sink its teeth into my scorecard.

I think my favorite list is too high to even name them, actually I just tried to pick a top 5 and there are some holes I can’t leave out so I will not attempt it. I think the biggest reason for this is every hole is so unique from the other and provides so much variety throughout the round that naming just one is not what the course is about. Perhaps a lack of dramatic scenery is something that will keep even the common folk from choosing a consensus favorite.

I highly recommend stopping by and checking out the course if you are ever in the area. I still have a hard time recognizing pictures of golf holes from the Amateur in 2003 let alone 10 years ago.

Coral_Ridge

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 06:40:48 PM »
Ryan -

Would love to see photos of the updated (less treed) course to see how it looks.  Did you take any pictures?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 08:17:03 PM »
Jon, I took about 300+ photos and there are quite a few gems. I am still not certain of their picture policy at OCC but I saw Tom Paul post some about a week ago. I thought there was a reason Ran did not post any in his review but if someone can find out if it's not a problem I will be glad to post a bunch.

Mark Studer

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
Ryan- It is not a problem to share your photos of Oakmont on this site.  #17 is now a fine hole....it used to be just OK as Tom D. mentions.  Ask John Zimmers how much work was done on the greenside  "Big Mouth" bunker in the fall of 2001.  The tree removal behind the green and next to 18 tee(three 80 footers) gives the second shot to the greensite an infinity edge.  I used to birdie that hole more than any other.... now it is now as visually challenging as any 78 yard second shot you may find.   It is driveable now , but the best players(top 3 finishers) in the 2002 state am. all laid up with irons and still made birdies  with and sand wedge and putt in the third round.  By the way, to finish the drainage line out of "big mouth" we had to hand shovel the deepest 3 feet....a backhoe would not reach deeply enough!
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 11:25:02 AM »
When I was lucky enough to play five times at Oakmont in the late 80s/early 90s with a client who has since retired  :'( , I really enjoyed the short par 4s #2 and #17 a lot, and all the shots into the fallaway greens #1, #10 and #12.  I loved the uphill second to #3 with the church pews on the left, and avoiding them on the downhill tee shot on #4.  Sometimes it's good to be a fader rather than a drawer of the tee ball.  Not often though....

Favorite hole?  Probably #12, three precise shots required and the fun of getting there to find out where that third wound up.

;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 04:47:50 PM »
Having only seen Oakmont during one long, tremendous US Open weekend in 1983, I came away with a few distinct favorites.

So long, yet so short due to the downhill run, the 1st was an exercise in restraint and early nerves, and running second shots would continue on as if possessed by demons.

The green on #2 was fascinating and we sat there for hours watching approaches, recoveries, and the most delicate of putts.

The 3rd, with a blindish second shot to a hilltop green, and we watched Watson hole a 35-footer en route to a final day front-nine of 31.

#4, where the Church Pews again are in play, and where the swinging right par five is an exercise in avoiding a minefield of other bunkers cutting into play at the most rude and inappropriate places..

The 5th, with the approach crossing the raving to the green ledged beautifully into the sloping hillside.

and on and so on....

And this was before the tree work!  

Note to self...must get back to Oakmont next year.  ;D

Mark Studer

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 10:05:58 AM »
Oakmont is hosting the Pennsylvania Women's Amateur this week....qualifying monday , matches through friday....spectators are welcome.  I'll be at Nemacolin with TEPaul officiating the Pa State Open.
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 10:33:18 AM »
17 would have been the worst 10 years ago, but with the tree removal it is now very fun. My favorite hole would be #5. I love the greensite. 18 has one of the best tee shots in golf with the old clubhouse in the background. A great hole to finish a late round of golf.
Mr Hurricane

JohnV

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »
For those who don't have tickets to the US Open, tomorrow is the last day to get in the lottery.  Go to: http://www.usga.org/news/2006/June/2006_49.html

I've only gotten to play it 4 times since I got here, so I can't pick favorites yet.

peter_mcknight

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 02:17:17 PM »
Hole 2, no question.  How many courses are there where a 345 yard par 4 is the no. 5 stroke hole and a legitimate no. 5 stroke hole at that?  What a green!  Can't wait to see it again on the tele next year.

Both par 5s are also wonderful as well.  Can't even imagine the difficulty of 12 if they use the 665 yard tee.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 02:54:37 PM »
I highly recommend stopping by and checking out the course if you are ever in the area.

I'd love to, but I don't think they're gonna let just anyone in the front gate...  ::)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »
Both par 5s are also wonderful as well.  Can't even imagine the difficulty of 12 if they use the 665 yard tee.

"Both" par 5s?  Is #9 now a par 4?

JohnV

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 11:43:10 AM »
I spent yesterday afternoon at Oakmont officiating the Pennsylvania Women's Amateur.

There are 48 players in the Amateur division, 48 in the Seniors and 8 in the Super Seniors.  Match play started today.

Only two players broke 80 yesterday.  There were 19 scores over 100.  The low round was a 75 shot by one of the players in the Senior division which played a shorter set of tees.  The low by one of the non-seniors was 78.

There were numerous four-putts and some reports of 5-putts on #2.  None of the hole locations was anywhere near the toughest they could be.

It got very windy in the afternoon which didn't help with the scores.

JohnV

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 11:43:39 AM »
Bill, #9 is a par 5, but will be a par 4 for the US Open.

Ryan Farrow

Re:Oakmont, can you find a favorite? (Upsated w/PICTURES)
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 12:46:34 AM »
Here are about a dozen pictures of various holes, I may update them with labels of what hole they are or you can just ask. Also if you want a specific shot of a hole just ask and ill see if I can find one.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 12:43:47 PM by Ryan Farrow »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 03:31:16 AM »
Ryan, really great pictures.  The course looks spectacular.  As so often happens on this site, I now have a sense for what some of these great courses look like, much more so than I seem to get from TV.  A big thanks to you and all the others who post.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 09:52:08 AM »
Having not been at Oakmont since 1983, those pictures are absolutely incredible.   :o :o :o

It appears to be absolutely THE poster child for the virtues of tree clearing.  And someone said Winged Foot removed trees??!

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 10:16:21 AM »
I should have put a warning message on them. Every time I see an old picture of Oakmont all I see are trees. I forget sometimes that the course has been tree-lined for most of everyones life up untill a year ago.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 10:24:49 AM »
Ryan,

Thanks for sharing.

I can tell you that the difference is staggering, and inspiring.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 10:32:13 AM »
Ryan:

Thanks for sharing -- I have been most fortunate to have played Oakmont several times over the years and candidly I see it as one of the finest -- top five for me -- in the USA. The totality of the design -- and its added overall character with the removal of so many trees -- is one of the key elements that inspire me whenever I have been on the property.

Top it off with all the rich history and the anticipation of next year's US Open and one can truly understand why Oakmont is so special.

I only wish they would continue to play the uphill 9th as a par-5, althought I know that the designation of "par" is not that big of a deal -- the low score still wins.

Oakmont usually doesn't receive anywhere near the amount of discussion or promotion you see with the likes of a Merion, Pine Valley or the east end courses on Long Island. Nonetheless, it takes a back seat to no course IMHO, and is truly a "must play" for any devotee of classic architecture.

P.S. I have no favorite hole -- the totality of what you find there is what makes Oakmont so unique and rewarding to play.

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 10:49:03 AM »
Matt, just out of curiosity, why does it matter what they call 9?

I will say, I'm impressed you'd rather see it a 5 - most would think you'd prefer a ballbuster par 4.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 11:05:17 AM »
George:

You see "ole" stereotypes die a hard death here on GCA. ;D

I like the 9th as a par-5 because that's what it's been right from the get-go at Oakmont. Lowering the par designation is likely a concession to the membership in order to keep the "par" or under-par scores to a minimum for next year's event.

It's unnecessary from my vantage point.

The 9th is a thrilling hole and when someone can make an eagle with a front right location then more power to them. The best part is when players overshoot the 9th and land on the practice green which abuts. Just a super hole and one I'm looking forward to seeing when in town next year for the championship.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back