News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

When the "Redan" was a 2-shot hole....
« on: August 09, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »
Checking out something else this morning, I read that the Redan at North Berwick was a 2-shot hole in the mid-late 19th century.  The hole played as a niblick/cleek probably from the middle of what is now the 14th fairway over the dry stane dyke to the current teeing area and then a wooden club over the escarpment (Redan) to the putting surface.  Now that would have been cool, wouldn't it?!

JESII

Re:When the "Redan" was a 2-shot hole....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:15:02 PM »
I can tell you Rich, the Redan imitation at Shinnecock is a two shot hole today. Even at about 180!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 01:23:20 PM »
Blue Mound CC in Milwaukee has an opening 1rst hole that plays about 385, and is a very good redan green.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:23:24 PM »
Check out Ran's course review of Fishers Island.

The 12th at Fishers is a simply amazing 2 shot reverse redan. It works perfectly.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:45:02 PM »
Thanks, Geoff

I always thought that Raynor had more flair and imagination than ole' CB.

Jim

As Geoff will attest, I was able to get my ball to 15 feet after 2 shots on the Shinny "Redan."  The fact that I was also 15 feet away in one is probably irrelevant......

peter_p

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 02:03:04 PM »
Rich,
  I am looking at my copy of In The Wind's Eye. It looks to me that the tee would have been on the extreme right side of the 14th fairway and is described as a short hole and a full spoon shot at 210 yards. The tee being further south would have changed the angle of th bounce into the green significantly and changed the relative position of the fronting bunker.
  The 1895 changes included a splendid new 14th, full of terror at 342 yards, came into being and was called perfection. But in the next paragraph a list of hole lengths shows at 40 yards longer at 382, followed by the Redan 15th at 266.
  There appears to have been a lot of tinkering since the land was acquired in 1869, and a two-shotter could have been played and not included in this book.

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 02:10:57 PM »
http://www.north-berwick.co.uk/origins_golf.asp

Peter (et. al.)

Check out the link above, which was the source of what I posted.  I'm sure you know much more about the history of NB than do I so any comments would be highly appreciated. I do think that the 266 yard hole you mention is what I was referring to.  In the days of the guttie that would have been a drive and a cleek or vice versa (Moe Norman style).

Cheers

Rich

peter_p

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 02:39:03 PM »
Rich,
     I thought I put enough wishy-washy in the last paragraph to leave some doubt. Different researchers can find different facts. I was going by Adamson's book. He never mentioned Redan being a 4 par, and the 40 yard error within the next paragaph left a question in my feeble mind about the lenghtening of Redan by 56 yards without some sort of other mention in the book.
    I have only traipsed the grounds twice (1975, 2000) and was never there in the late 1800s so you probably have more expertise. :D

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »
Peter

All I know about the late 19th century is what Tom Paul tells me, and he's usually wrong.

Have you read the link I posted, or are you out checking the ripeenss of the Pinot Noir in your vineyard?

Rich

peter_p

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 03:52:57 PM »
Rich,
Certianly I read it before my last post. Thats why I said I was wishy washy and said different researchers came up with different facts.

I hope the grapes like hot weather with little rain. Bergstrom and Shea are good.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 05:55:39 PM »
“Tantallon Golf Club was founded on 17th September 1853 by the merchants in the Burgh, and also held their golf meetings on the West Links. In 1896, they converted Point Garry Cottage into a clubhouse, now the oldest original clubroom in existence.”

What an excellent article how did I miss this before I went?  9 days ago I was asked to join up with ‘a member’ and his guest.  We got on very well and he invited me to join them for a drink in his clubhouse and thus I was introduced to the Tantallon Club.  I had never heard of it and had no idea I was sitting in the oldest clubroom!  I insisted in paying the first round and it set me back £3.60 for three pints of Belhaven’s – what a place.

“The Hotel proposed to alter the layout with the present 8th tee becoming the first and extending the course west over the former Fidra golf course at Yellowcraig.”

This may answer a query I have.  On the 10 tee he said that the course had extended west at this point in the 19th century and that if you walked it you could still see some of the holes with their small greens.  Presumably he was referring to the Fidra course as knowledgeable member/caddies I checked with later in the week said he was wrong. Is anything known of this course?

Rich I hope this is in preparation for the follow up to Carnoostie?
Let's make GCA grate again!

ChipOat

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 06:04:47 PM »
#6 at The Creek. A par 4 Reverse Redan with a little Punchbowl thrown in for good measure.

The single best strategic golf hole ever built IMHO with a fabulous view, as well; SPDB and a few others on here don't argue too much with either part of that.

The par 3 #8 at The Creek is a more pure (reverse) Redan but #6 sure qualifies in my book.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back