News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Yannick Pilon

Re:GCA.com Design Contest Step 1: Format
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 09:20:24 PM »
Kyle,

There is a glitch in the center of that topo map.  I know, I am being picky, but lots of guys already have problems reading maps, we should make sure they are easy to read.

Maybe if we start posting topo maps like these we should include a graphical scale on the actual map....  Again, being picky, but lots of people also don't really grasp the concept of a scale either.  Especially if you have to print it from a cumputer....

Yannick
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 09:29:12 PM »
Good point, Yannick

Thanks for the map Kyle, but we're not there yet anyway. I want to give everyone time to get their two cents in before we begin setting the parameters.

Jim Thompson may have maps and aerial photos as well and that might be cool. But as I say, we're not there yet.

The enthusiasm is great.

Here's another question relating to voting:

Should an architect's vote be weighted more heavily? Say, count as two? Or do we leave it equal across the board? Perhaps architects can make their cases strong enough in the discussions to have their impact felt there...?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 09:58:54 PM »
Yannick, AFC,

I have a lot of such maps, I was more offering that as an example. I quickly scanned it, hence the glitch in the middle from me joining the two images together.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 12:24:17 AM »
Just my humble opinion as someone who would be interested in trying my hand at something like this, but...

I think you gotta use a topo, otherwise people can invent whatever land they want.  I can picture some really cool holes in my mind and maybe others might think they are cool too.  But unless you have a Shadow Creek budget, you can't really bend the earth itself to your whims, so its not very realistic.  However, while I understand the theory of a topo map, it doesn't put a usable picture in my head.  If the topos had more of a 3D look to them instead of just line drawings with elevations on them maybe it would help.

Perhaps if you took an aerial of a real life piece of interesting land (hopefully largely treeless and taken at dawn or dusk so we can really see it) and then a topo of the same land, those of us who don't see golf holes when presented with a topo might have a better shot.  Perhaps some of the architects here could come up with a few of these for us to choose from.  It would be interesting to design a hole on a piece of land and then find out it was part of Sebonack or Sand Hills and see what the real pros did with it (obviously they have more constraints having to worry about routing that we wouldn't doing a single hole, but still)

I'm ambivalent about the redrawing part.  I can't draw for crap, so it could help.  I guess I could make up for lack of artist skills by explaining what I'm doing, but that makes it harder to re-draw correctly, and we certainly can't ask for editing rights on the re-drawn hole :)  I could probably muddle through the drawing part with some simple line drawings in pencil that would hopefully get my idea across, the reason I haven't ever tried this before is primarily because the topos just don't "work" for me.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

TaylorA

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 09:09:50 AM »
I can probably put together topo from property where an actual golf course presently sits. (I think I've got pre and post golf course topo - I'll have to do some digging...) It might be interesting to see what people around here come up with and what was actually built.

I'm on the provide topo side.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2006, 01:39:05 PM »
Anyone who has topos/aerials that they'd like us to use, please send them (low-res) to:

adam.collins@ns.sympatico.ca

I'll look them over and we'll go from there.

Thanks to all who've voiced an opinion, look for the official rules to come soon.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 09:17:49 AM »
Okay, I haven't forgotten about this.

I have had offers from a few people and asked a few more for topographic maps for the contest and I've searched around myself, but as yet we still haven't gotten anything that works.

We need a detailed topographic map with an area of about 600 square yards, which shows terrain which offers a good variety of possibilities for one hole of any par. We're not doing a whole course, as it's too much for most people to deal with. We're only doing one hole per entry.

If we get ariel images as well, great. However these are not necessary. I'd also like to use property that doesn't already have existing designs on it. I'm not interested in getting into a discussion of the merits of existing holes within this exercise.I'd also hope that an architect or two might enter a design

If anyone has this stuff and can send it along to me, please do and we'll get this thing rolling.

I thank you and those who have already sent material in for consideration.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 07:32:23 PM »
Boy am I glad this popped back up!  I've got a great topo , but it is in .dwg format.  Can any of you Autocad experts tell me how to save it in a format that Adam can use for the contest?  It is a 200+ acre site with one foot topo's.  Very nice.  I haven't figured out how to get it into a gormat for this other than to print and scan and that would really compromise clarity.  Shoot me a line if you can help.

Thanks!

JT
Jim Thompson

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 08:32:54 PM »
Jim, I would say your best bet is to zoom into an area that would accomodate up to a 600 yard hole. You can then hit the Print Scrn button on you keyboard and then paste the image into a program like MS Paint and save it as a JPG.

Hope this helps

TaylorA

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 08:47:57 PM »
Jim, print it to adobe acrobat. As Adam pointed out, 200 acres is too much and would have to be printed at too large a scale. If you send the file to me, I'd be happy to convert it to a PDF.

A free acrobat printer is PrimoPDF.

http://www.primopdf.com/

Joe Hancock

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 09:07:29 PM »
I think it's cool that Adam was able to work the word "foster" into his original post. I don't know how I would utilize my name in a sentence without it taking some sort of sick, perverted twist. ;D

Oh wait...there's an exercise to focus on here....sorry!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 10:07:35 PM »
I think it's cool that Adam was able to work the word "foster" into his original post. I don't know how I would utilize my name in a sentence without it taking some sort of sick, perverted twist. ;D

Oh wait...there's an exercise to focus on here....sorry!

Joe

"I was thinking about GCA over a cup of joe this morning, and I wish that I was able to put my John Hancock on a design of my own..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back