News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jesse Jones

Re:Cincinnati Golf
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »

Crooked Tree is the Bomb!!
It's deserved one or several for a very long time.

Western Row..Nice..Forgot about that one Glenn..

Actually if I had the cash I'd love to blow up Majestic Springs and put something really nice there. It's a great property. There are three great holes on that track. The other 15..problematic..

But Western Row..Damn..

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 04:11:29 PM »
Jesse,

Yes, Western Row was quite a good pull, but let us not forget about Shawnee Lookout, California and Grand Oak. Majestic Springs? I have never heard of that one. Where is that at? Crooked Tree. ;D ;D Some places are just so bad that they are great.

JLahrman

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 04:13:50 PM »
I forgot the word 'quality' in my post.  In a couple of places.

Hey I'd rather go to Western Row than Crooked Tree.  At least at Western Row I have some idea of where to aim.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 04:14:53 PM by JAL »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 04:24:09 PM »
I forgot the word 'quality' in my post.  In a couple of places.

Hey I'd rather go to Western Row than Crooked Tree.  At least at Western Row I have some idea of where to aim.

Yes, there are no hidden secrets to Western Row. ;D ;D I swear though, if you lay on the ground on 7 or 8, you will notice some slight elevation leading up to the green. ;D ;D

JLahrman

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »
Come on now, if we were in Columbus that would count as a ridge.

Shawnee Lookout, man you guys are whipping them all out today.

Brian, please do not jot down anything that's been posted since I inserted the word "Hap's" into this discussion.  We've gone into some disturbing territory.  Never did I think I would see the names of some of these courses on GCA.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:30:39 PM by JAL »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 05:38:04 PM »
Glenn;

You mention Lassing Point and Fox Run in N KY, but not The Willows or perhaps Boone Links, both of which have some nice holes. Though very short, I think Hickory Sticks can be tough.

The problem with all these courses is that they are 'target golf'. Most land in this area is largely green, verdant, soft, and forrested. Hard to make a 'firm and fast' course here. If you don't like target golf, probably better vacation elsewhere.

Doug

JLahrman

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 05:45:32 PM »
Doug, I would agree although these courses COULD play nice and firm this time of year if they weren't watered.  It's good and dry like everywhere else right now.  The soil is clay-based which does make it softer in general, but there is no reason that these courses couldn't play a lot firmer from July through September than they do.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 05:54:07 PM »
True, but.....

They are all so hilly and are NOT designed to run your ball up. They [especially Hickory Sticks] are 'high ball' courses.

Honestly, there IS skill in that too. Nothing wrong with spinning the approach shot, and the soft fairways conduce to that. If they were hard, you would be left with very little opportunity to hold the greens with anything but wedges.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »
Glenn,

Majestic Springs is about 10 miles north of Maineville on 22/3..I think it's Wilmington.
#5-#10 and #11 are really good holes..
I lived in Maineville so it was a good choice for a game with friends who didn't play much.
Crooked Tree is better than Western Row..
But that's like choosing rancid milk over moonshine.
By the way, try this..
Take a venue annoucement press release for any major, replace the hosting course(Pebble, Shinny) and city with Mason and Western Row, then read it out loud.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back