News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

John Dunn Tucker
« on: August 08, 2006, 06:48:45 AM »
Regarding my book, I am looking for any information about John Dunn Tucker.  He was the first golf professional at Pienhurst in 1900.  He was John Duncan Dunn's cousin (part of the Musselburgh Dunns including Willie, Tom, and Seymour as well).  If anyone has information about John Dunn Tucker, I would appreciate it.  I am most curious about where he went after he left Pinehurst (sometime around 1900).

Thanks.

T_MacWood

Re:John Dunn Tucker
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:55:26 AM »
Richard
I have not. I've heard of William Tucker, but not John Tucker.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:33:10 AM »
Funny this comes up, I was just talking about the family connection of the tuckers and dunn's to somebody. I have some info on Dunn Tucker at Pinehurst, but do not have him after that to my knowledge.Interesting connections back then. It may take me a while to locate it though. Sidenote on Willie Tucker, he was the Pro at St. Andrews(america) before he struck off doing his turf stuff.

Tully
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 12:58:29 AM by Sean Tully »

Sean_Tully

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:04:34 AM »
Richard
I have a reference to JDTucker leaving Onondaga Golf and CC in Syracuse NY in April of 1902. Hope that helps you out.

Interested in some of your findings on the early course at Pinehurst. Have you come across any early photos of the course. I am very interested in the hazards implemented there.

Tully

good luck with the book!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:37:57 AM »
Richard, here are two references:

American Golfer – 2/1913 p.319-320

VARDON AT PINEHURST:
      It is nearly thirteen years since Harry Vardon, at that time the British Open Champion, played at Pinehurst on his memorable American trip. On March 9, 1900, he played a thirty-six holes round against the best ball of the two local pros, John Dunn Tucker and Lloyd B. Hallock, the latter holding the then record of the course, jointly with Mr. Geo. C. Dutton, the Boston amateur, at 81.
      Vardon's morning round was 38-40 —78, the best ball of the local pros, being 80, Vardon finishing 2 up. Incidentally the record was beaten by the visitor by 3 strokes. In the afternoon Vardon did 44-31 —75, making his total for the day 153, as against 162 for the local talent, the
latter being beaten by 8 up and 7 to play…

Golf Illustrated, 7/1921 p.4 advertisement for “Where you can get clubs of Monel…”

PROFESSIONALS…

Belvidere. III.
J. D. Tucker. Belmar C. C.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back