News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Why golf is healthy.
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »
I just read a very interesting article at the online edition of Elysian Fields Quarterly, that got me to thinking how healthy the game of golf actually is, and available for most across the economic spectrum.  For those unaware of Elysian Fields Quarterly it is a fine literary baseball magazine.  It is to baseball what the Journal of The Shivas Irons Society is to golf.

The article is “And That's a White Sox Winner!” by Douglas Bukowski from Volume 23, Number 1, 2006.  In this article a long time White Sox fan laments the changes to the sport, yet while still finding the joy of the game the his team’s long awaited glory.  Out of the article he does note how the stadiums are now less fan friendly for those wanting (or needing) to opt for the upper decks, on the long commercial breaks, on the high cost of trying to attend the post-season games, and even (inadvertently) on the games ending so late his son could not stay awake for the finish.

For all the worrying about the equipment and how it is affecting the architecture, I suddenly realized that golf appears to be less harmed by modern technology and hyper-marketing than are most of the other sports.  Although very expensive golf clubs, both private and public are often talked about, there are still many reasonably priced municipal and resort courses being built.  The price of a trip to Bandon is doable for many golfers.  Although very expensive equipment can be found, there are many lower priced alternatives, and the used club market offers many other options.  In fact I would argue that the least expensive clubs currently being produced are likely better in technology and quality then the best Ben Hogan clubs sold 25 years ago.

While next year a majority of post-season baseball games will be on cable TV, the networks will still offer over 50 hours of the four professional majors and the US Amateur.  In addition, it is easier to win the draw for tickets at face price for either of the Opens or the PGA than to obtain tickets at face price to any post-season baseball or football game.

Where golf surpasses the other sports most of all is on the architecture front.  Every new sports stadium means a setback to upper deck fan, while golf continues to offer fine alternatives to the muni fan.  Bethpage is still a reasonable price for the NY state resident, city courses have been upgraded while keeping fees reasonable, outer suburbs have seen moderate priced courses built in addition to new high-end priced courses.  Fine excellent courses have been built in the Dakotas and surroundings, allowing one to treat oneself to a high-end golf experience at a moderate price.  Finally, even the returns to classic style of golf architecture appear to span the price scale of new projects.

My evidence is in both my old hometown of St. Louis, and my new home of Springfield, Mass.  The Cardinals built a new stadium, but with less cheap seats, and the old stadium’s 3rd deck sight lines were better than being offered in the new stadium.  Meanwhile, Forest Park golf course has completely renovated all 27 holes, and still only costs $35 for a weekend tee time.  In addition the Walters Group continues to offer many fine course around St. Louis, which can be easy on the wallet.

Here in New England, rare is the family which can afford to go to Fenway, thus resulting in mainly young males willing to pay the high prices, thus resulting in some of the obnoxious behavior which is bound to occur from large groups of young alcohol fueled males, thus resulting in families not wanting to go to Fenway more than once a year.  Meanwhile, the south shore, Cape Cod and Western Mass all offer a variety of new courses and old classics, and with many reasonable rates available on good courses under quality conditions.  Examples range from George Wight, Crumpin-Fox, Widow’ Walk, to Stow Acres.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:52:35 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tom Huckaby

Re:Why golf is healthy.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:00:02 PM »
Bill:

This is a heartening argument, and it cheers me to read it.  It makes great sense to me.

Just understand that it breaks down here in California.

One can still get decent cheap seats for professional baseball, at one park that just may be the best in the entire league in terms of fan friendliness and beauty:  the SF Giants' AT&T Park.  Football, basketball and hockey have priced themselves out of the reach of the common man for the most part, but haven't they rather been that way for many years now?

Meanwhile golf is WAY too expensive at courses that are decent; those that are affordable either just plain suck or are insanely overcrowded, flooded by die-hard golfers who can't afford the triple digit prices at the good courses.

The point is this:  here in CA, an entire family can see a game at AT&T Park and enjoy the heck of out it for less than the price of just Dad playing a decent course on the weekend.

I guess it just sucks to be here.  But I wanted to point out that while I have no doubt your argument works in general, well... there do remain exceptions.

TH

ps - check the summer prices at Bandon - are you SURE you want to say most golfers can afford that?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 02:01:36 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:02:13 PM »
That comparison is flawed.

It's like comparing one cancer patient to another, with one being on his deathbed and the other being about 6 months away. And calling the one 6 months away "healthy."

Doesn't jive.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 03:15:54 PM by Kyle Harris »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 03:14:33 PM »
I pitched for 12 years and I can't even sit through a baseball game on TV or at the game until October!! It is fantastic then, but boring as hell until then.
Basketball- I don't personally know anyone that watches the NBA, college will always be healthy.
Hockey- I don't understand why this sport is not appreciated in America.
Football- The NFL is king, although college is my preference, even if they don't know how to decide a champion.

Golf- The game is more boring than it has ever been. You are missing something if you don't see this.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »
I think golf is very healthy because the average golfer is not been overlooked by the changes in the sport over the last 50 years.

For those attending golf tournaments, although the price has increased, all golfers have equal access to the competition.  In golf the high-end is the corporate tent away from the action, where as the low end is the standard ground-only ticket, which allows one with proper perseverance to view the action from most of the best locations available to the paying public.

Although there is more golf on cable, the amount of golf on free TV has also increased.  TV golf just 30 years ago was the last 4 to six holes, and other than the PGA Tour, the only other TV golf was the Women's Open and the 1-hour of the Mens Am.

For those purchasing equipment, with specials on-line, with a vibrant used club market and with specials at quality national sport stores good equipment can be had for a few hindered dollars (I got a used set of excellent forged irons, 2-PW for $160.00 found at a golf discount shop.  I have found good metal clubs at Play It Again Sports for under $100.).  Also, 30 years ago, quality golf equipment was only available at private country club pro-shops, now quality equipment is available at a variety of locations including better public golf course pro shops.

When I began to caddie in 1977 public golf course where only moderate to poor with rare exceptions in the St. Louis Metro area.  Now, even without a private club membership, one has an option to play low cost golf or high-cost golf, and the quality of each can vary.

In Springfield, I can play a nice city course of $20 on weekends or I can play The Ranch after 2:00 pm for $65.00.

My point is that the options to all levels of golf fans/participants have expanded.  The quality per dollar spent (factoring inflation), has not decreased for the fan trying to limit the amount he or she spends, and the quality of architecture offered on the newer lower-end courses is much improved from what was being offered in this market in the 1970s.

So the ball goes too far, some new courses and private clubs cost exorbitant prices, and the new drivers are way too big.  Amongst these and other problems, the game is still healthier than it was in 1975 and even 1985.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 03:43:30 PM »
Bill:

Again, I don't disagree with your general point.  I just do continue to maintain it doesn't work here in California.  See the examples from my previous post.  I could give many more.

We are likely a unique situation here. I hope so.

TH

Doug Siebert

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 12:37:58 AM »
I think golf is very healthy because the average golfer is not been overlooked by the changes in the sport over the last 50 years.

For those attending golf tournaments, although the price has increased, all golfers have equal access to the competition.  In golf the high-end is the corporate tent away from the action, where as the low end is the standard ground-only ticket, which allows one with proper perseverance to view the action from most of the best locations available to the paying public.

Although there is more golf on cable, the amount of golf on free TV has also increased.  TV golf just 30 years ago was the last 4 to six holes, and other than the PGA Tour, the only other TV golf was the Women's Open and the 1-hour of the Mens Am.

For those purchasing equipment, with specials on-line, with a vibrant used club market and with specials at quality national sport stores good equipment can be had for a few hindered dollars (I got a used set of excellent forged irons, 2-PW for $160.00 found at a golf discount shop.  I have found good metal clubs at Play It Again Sports for under $100.).  Also, 30 years ago, quality golf equipment was only available at private country club pro-shops, now quality equipment is available at a variety of locations including better public golf course pro shops.

When I began to caddie in 1977 public golf course where only moderate to poor with rare exceptions in the St. Louis Metro area.  Now, even without a private club membership, one has an option to play low cost golf or high-cost golf, and the quality of each can vary.

In Springfield, I can play a nice city course of $20 on weekends or I can play The Ranch after 2:00 pm for $65.00.

My point is that the options to all levels of golf fans/participants have expanded.  The quality per dollar spent (factoring inflation), has not decreased for the fan trying to limit the amount he or she spends, and the quality of architecture offered on the newer lower-end courses is much improved from what was being offered in this market in the 1970s.

So the ball goes too far, some new courses and private clubs cost exorbitant prices, and the new drivers are way too big.  Amongst these and other problems, the game is still healthier than it was in 1975 and even 1985.

Most of those things have nothing to do with how healthy golf is.  Being able to buy quality clubs at a Walmart versus a specialty golf shop isn't any different from having to go to a specialty shop to buy a decent stereo or TV and now being able to buy them from Walmart (I'm talking good enough for 98% of people, not 'satisfies the audiophile snobs who pay $500 for a 6 foot speaker cable')  That indicates the health of big box stores, not golf.

Ditto for all the golf on TV.  There are how many more channels now than there were 30 years ago?  There is more of every sport on, plus they have invented/popularized all sorts of sports that didn't even exist thirty years ago or had few active participants (snowboarding, triathalons, hold 'em, etc.) just to fill up all the available time on all the sports channels plus channels that aren't really sports channels but show sports some of the time anyway.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 02:56:55 AM »
Interesting analogy. I think that golf is still more accessible than baseball for the average fan/player, and I think you mistake that for "health." Golf is a struggling, very uneven business, with some sectors booming (real estate) and others really huffing and puffing (daily-fee course operations). Yes, technology is "better" and more available to everyday golfers, but the cost of playing golf has escalated far more than the Cost of Living the last two decades -- though not as much as baseball stadium seat prices. While golf is a better game to play for a lifetime and more accessible, and certainly more participatory than baseball or the other sports, it isn't necessarily healthier as a business.

Still, I think you point to some serious flaws in the structure of other sports, esp. baseball, that golf is on the verge of emulating (much to its detriment).

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 03:30:46 AM »
I think Bill is quite accurate in his assessment.  Sure, if you are in the business of golf it is shakey, but for the punter who wants affordable golf and a few beers golf is very healthy.  Same goes for the psuedo intellectual.  If he wants a few cigars and a G&T or two to go along with his interesting game at a fairly high price the venue then golf is quite healthy.  The same is even true for the rich psuedo intellectual.  There are plenty of interesting expensive clubs to join which serve fine malt and may have the odd Habana available all over the place.  There are even varied courses with completely different maintenace practices to be enjoyed.  Equipment is cheap and plentiful to buy if you are smart and buy second hand.  One can get "good seats" to premiere events without holding season tickets.  I gotta agree, golf is looking rosey so long as you aren't trying to make a buck out of the game.  

Huckster - I don't include California in my rant.  It would seem that in most things California proves to be the exception.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 09:26:03 AM »
I agree that New England offers decently interesting and affordable golf, but better deals are found further from Boston, as the Cape/Plymouth prices keep going up, and even those in So. NH have reached the $50-75 range.  I would say that golf is very healthy, at least in the Northeast, where the 5-month layoff intensifies the 7 months of golf we can play.

As for baseball, Fenway gets tougher and tougher to attend every year, as the demand for tickets is very high, and there are only 15-20000 seats available on a given night to a fan base of 5-10 million.  Those numbers easily put the average ticket (including the prices charged by brokers and agencies) to $75-$100.  

As for the alcohol-fuled male comments, I think I can speak to that as I have spent the last several years going to games as a 20-25 yr old with a few ($6.25) beers in hand.  I've always thought that Boston was unique in that while there is a reputation of the Boston male as the boozing, brawling hard-on who is looking to get in as many faces as possible, there are many more who can have a good time without making a fool of themselves, and while respecting others.  I have been fortunate to use a portion of a season ticket for the past 8-10 years, in the 6th row between 3B and LF.  I have felt the area of seating change from the regular ballgame atmosphere to one in which people take offense if you raise your voice.  Hell, I've even been admonished if those around me didn't like the language I was half-whispering to my buddy next to me. Even though these tickets now cost $85-90 a seat, it's not the symphony.  Someday when I have a son or daughter, I will encourage them to yell at the players, good or bad, as that is what being a baseball fan is all about.  So many people come away from Fenway thinking its full of obnoxious drunks because they have spent 3 hours listening to every word spoken around them.  The public is a crass, loud, tell-it-like-it-is group, and if those concerned would just let it go, they would realize that Fenway is one of the best sporting venues on the planet.

Sorry for the OT rant...but I'm very protective of the Fenway atmosphere.... :)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 11:11:11 AM »
Interesting responses.

Those with an industry slant (PROFIT MOTIVES) see the negatives.

Consumers see the positive end,  due to an over-saturated industry. Although, there is the exception. Courses who charge $35, that are not worth $20. Thankfully the high end was so over built, thanx to the NGF, there is more good out there, than bad.

Those in the competetive business, must lower their costs, to re-gain their PROFIT margins.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back