News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Loch Lomond's Second 18 ?
« on: August 07, 2006, 01:41:28 PM »
All this talk of James Finegan reminded me of something .

Before a trip to Loch Lomond last month to spectate at the Scottish Open , I went back and read what Mr Finegan said about the place in Blasted Heaths and Blessed Greens .

On page 91 he said , "Construction of a second eighteen , this one designed by Jack Nicklaus , is expected to get underway in 1996 " .

Anyone know what happened to these plans ? .

David_Tepper

Re:Loch Lomond's Second 18 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 01:48:12 PM »
Brian -

I have not heard anything recently about the 2nd course (designed by Nicklaus) at Loch Lomond. However, there is a course designed by Doug Carrick and owned by the Devere Cavendish hotel group opening up on Lock Lomond as well (www.thecarrick.com). Any news on that one?

Also, have you heard anything about the new Spey Valley course near Aviemore?

DT    
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:49:43 PM by David_Tepper »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:47:46 PM »
David
Are we talking about the Dave Thomas Spey Valley Course ? .

If so , no I haven't heard much at all , apart from it appeared in yourgolftravel.com newsletter the other week .
http://www.yourgolftravel.com/venues/scotland/macdonaldspeyvalley.html

This companys newsletter seems quite good and I am hoping to take them up on the Dalmahoy Sunday Special at the end of the month . http://www.yourgolftravel.com/venues/scotland/mdalmahoy.html

Haven't played Dalmahoy , so does anyone think that £107 is not a good deal for 36 holes and a night in the hotel ? .

Best Regards
Brian

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 03:37:59 PM »
Brian -

Yes, I was asking about the Spey Valley course designed by Dave Thomas. Last I read, the course was supposed to open in June. I read they had a vandalism incident on the course in May, but have read or heard nothing about the course since then.

The only thing I know about Dalmahoy is that friends of mine played it in May, 2000 and they were totally unimpressed with the course.

DT
tcmnav@aol.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 04:19:29 PM »
While on the subject of new courses in the home of golf, has anyone here played the Archerfield Links. Last week I played a round with a member of the Tantallon Club (a story I'm keeping up my sleeve for now) and he professed it to be the equal of Muirfield.  A few days later I repeated this to a couple of old hand caddies at North Berwick West Links and rather than poo pooh the very idea, they both said they'd played it iand rated it very highly indeed as "a real golfers course".

So?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:47:04 AM »
Who’s who at the £55,000 golf club

ALAN MacDERMID
 August 08 2006

THE veil has been drawn back from one of Scotland's most exclusive sporting havens – and it confirms you need a bonnie bonnie bank account to join Loch Lomond Golf Club.
Membership of the club, with access to one of the most iconic views in the world, now costs £55,000 up front, and £2200 a year thereafter.

But with a few celebrated exceptions – including Sir Sean Connery and Sir Jackie Stewart – membership has always been shrouded in mystique and rampant jealousy. Many members would not know the identity of their fellow golfers unless they bumped into them on the first tee.

Now a newly-published booklet, an official members' list which is not for public consumption, offers a glimpse of this veritable Who's Who of the sport, where a curry king can rub shoulders with Arnold Palmer and the two brothers whose company delivers Scotland's morning pint can walk the same greens as the international captain, Prince Andrew.

However, Sir Sean and Sir Jackie appear to be in a minority, since only about 5% of the members boast Scottish addresses (although, strictly speaking, that puts Sir Sean and Sir Jackie in the majority). In any event, although the bonnie banks are just 20 miles north of Glasgow, the majority of members appear to hail from places such as Arizona, Dubai and Zurich.

However, the club does find room for Sir Peter Burt, the former governor of the Bank of Scotland and now chairman of ITV. And the son of Rangers chairman David Murray happily forks out his annual subscription.

They can rub shoulders with Jack Irvine, the celebrated Glasgow PR guru, whose name appears next to Hale Irwin, a three-time US Masters winner.
Satty Singh, owner of Mr Singh's curry restaurant in Glasgow, is on the list, alongside advertising doyen Jim Faulds. Tycoons Alan and Robert Wiseman, of Wiseman Dairies, are also there, as are Sky Sports golf presenter David Livingstone and Hibs chairman Malcolm McPherson.

And former Mackay's Stores owner Len McGeoch has enough left over from Scotland's biggest-ever divorce settlement to find his annual fees. Top golfers who are also members include Sandy Lyle, Nick Faldo and Bernard Gallacher.

Loch Lomond Golf Club opened in 1994, the result of intense design work by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish. It had financial troubles under its previous owners and after being taken over and run by the local authority, was considered one of the best value "pay-and-play" municipal courses in the country.

Lyle Anderson, an American property developer, bought the club from the council in 1994.
Its Spike Bar offers a spectacular breakfast, while picnics can be taken on the club boat. Each day, prime cuts of beef are brought in from the Duke of Buccleuch's estate in the Borders for consumption in the elegant dining rooms of Rossdhu House.

Mr Anderson writes in the list: "We want our members to view their memberships as valued passports to a unique retreat, providing special enjoyment in their lives.
"From the outset, I saw Loch Lomond as an association with both a place and a spirit forged by bringing together interesting people from all over the world."

Asked why it had chosen now to circulate a membership list, a spokeswoman for Loch Lomond said: "It is something that has been published solely for members. It is not in the public domain. We are a private club. It is something we have chosen to do but it is not up for discussion. Members have to give their consent to be included."

James Edwards

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 04:56:37 AM »
I walked/hunted the second 18 at Loch Lomond a couple of years ago with students on the EIGCA Diploma Programme, and we had a fun time, navigating our way through the undergrowth to find the large marker posts for turning points and tee locations and of course green sites.  We managed to plot all of them onto our own aerials of the site as we had an exercise of our own to complete on the same site as Nicklaus.

I do know that his team cleared a green site - i remeber it being marked G12 - in an area of special scientific interest on the Loch Shore.  I believe they had some problems with that environmentally and planning was in essence postponed for for the time being.

It must be said that the routing never gets near the shore (like the other course) and for this reason I think the G12 clearance was purely temptation to get a glimpse of the Loch.
@EDI__ADI

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 06:32:17 AM »
a couple of things:

i've heard no meaningful reviews of the spey valley course although at the very least, the photographs i've seen mean the course will have some tremendous scenery...

£107 quid is very good value for 36 holes at dalmahoy plus one nights accommodation... david temper mentioned that friends of his had played it (the east course) in 2000 and were unimpressed... since then, there has been significant redesign to bring it back up to championship level... firstly, they got rid of the old 17th and 18th holes which really let the course down... so now they finish on the old 16th which is a fantastic long par-4 with a second shot over a ravine to the green... two new holes have been routed through mature woodland and 9 new greens have been built with extensive new bunkering and some new tees... all in all, now stretched past the 7,400 mark from the back... just make sure you play 2 rounds on the east... the west plays 5,200 yards and is pleasant but nothing more...

...as for archerfield, there are 36 holes there, the dirlton and fidra links... heard nothing but good reviews for both courses

...looks like james answered the original question on loch lomond

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 06:44:51 AM »
Janes / Ally
Thanks for both responses , very interesting .

Much Aprreciated.
Brian

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 08:58:28 AM »
I believe that membership at Loch Lomond also includes playing privileges at the Dundonald course on the Ayrshire Coast, which Lyle Anderson acquired about 5 years ago. Can anyone confirm that?    

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 12:13:04 PM »
yep, that's true, david... they both go together... dundonald was initially named southern gailes (probably to give it an air of importance next to the wonderful western gailes and very good glasgow gailes)... it was then bought by loch lomond... by all accounts the course is good but somewhat let down by being in a built up area... don't know much more than that

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back