News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Joines

Cincinnati Golf
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:18:52 AM »
Hey guys,

I will be heading to Cincinnati this Fall to visit my brother who is moving there. I was wondering what the golf scene is like there. I can't seem to recall much talk about Cincinnati courses on this board (besides Camargo, of course).

I'd just like to know which courses I should make an effort to see.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:20:25 AM by Brian Joines »

Doug Ralston

Re:Cincinnati Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 07:30:19 AM »
If you have access I have heard good things about Coldstream. For publics, Elk run and [sorry Glenn ] Shaker Run are nice.

Doug

Brian Joines

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:51:58 AM »
I have searched back through old threads and haven't been able to find anything but negative comments about the golf in Cincinnati. I will heard of Shaker Run but thought it was quite a bit out of the city. I haven't heard of Elk's Run so I'll have to check it out.

any other suggestions are welcome.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:46:29 PM »
I echo Elk Run and Shaker Run in terms of publics. In the really-good-bang-for-the-buck category are Lassing Pointe in Northern KY and Vineyard. I also think the Art Hills Legendary Run in Clermont County is pretty good.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »
Brian, you have heard mostly bad things about public golf courses in Cincy because one particular member [Glenn] is a little bit anal about certain types of courses and especially certain architects  :D.

Actually, another nice public in the area is Stonelick Hills. And across in E Indiana is P B Dye's Buck Point. Both reasonable in price and quite nice to play.

Doug

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 03:53:45 PM »
Brian, I sent you a message.

I would absolutely not recommend The Vineyard.

Brian Joines

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 04:34:42 PM »
Brian, I sent you a message.

I would absolutely not recommend The Vineyard.

Your recoommendation against The Vineyard is a good thing to know. It was actually one of the names that was coming up during my search yesterday.

Since I don't know anything about the golf in Cincinnati I won't offer any opinion but it sure seems hard to believe there aren't some more great golf courses with all that nice rolling terrain.

Billsteele

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 05:04:36 PM »
I would agree with the recommendations on Elks Run, Stonelick Hills and Shaker Run. A course that has sort of fallen off the map but, having played it for the first time in several years a few weeks ago, is pretty good: Blue Ash.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:05:47 PM by Billsteele »

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 05:09:04 PM »
Bill, Blue Ash is one of the courses I mentioned to Brian.

Personally my local favorite is Sharon Woods.  I like Weatherwax a lot but it is probably 45 minutes from downtown.

Does anyone know anything about the TPC at Rivers Bend?  I have not played it myself.

As for the Vineyard, it is kept in generally good shape but has become way too overgrown with trees and has far too many tiered greens.  The only holes there I really like are #9 and #14.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:15:34 PM by JAL »

Brian Joines

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 05:22:04 PM »
I think TPC - River's Bend is private correct?

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 05:45:18 PM »
Brian,

It may be private.  When I asked if anyone knew anything about it, I was not explicit enough about my level of ignorance.  I assumed it was public, going by the brilliant extrapolation that I if I can play the TPC at Sawgrass I can play this one as well.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »
TPC at River's Bend is a joke, and private. I just played it and it is awful. I would think the 35 k initiation there would have to be one of the worst deals in America. Shaker Run is 30 minutes from downtown Cincy as is Stonelick Hills. Coldstream is private and a pretty good golf course, but it would be nothing special on Long Island or in Chicago. It is not tough to stand out in golf course-starved Cincinnati. The Vineyard should be blown up!!! Sharon Woods is pretty reasonable for a run of the mill public. Buck Point is fabulous for the price. Elks Run at $85 for all you can play is a pretty good gig. Not a bad place to play at all, but nothing earth-shattering. Legendary Run is absolutely pitiful. Personally, I wouldn't walk across the street to play Blue Ash, I am not sure that I have ever come across a course that is more over-rated than this one. There is nothing that is really any closer than 20-30 minutes from the city that is reasonable. I see Lassing Pointe, Not anything to write home about in my opinion. Fox Run is pretty good for 15 of 16 holes, then 17 is questionable and 18 is the lay-down winner for worst golf hole in America. It might be worth the 20-minute drive to see that abortion alone. Stonelick Hills will be the most stress-free situation when it comes to getting a tee time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:58:36 AM by Glenn Spencer »

noonan

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 10:52:47 AM »
I would hardly call Cincinnati golf starved.

Shaker Run, Weatherwax, Walden Pond, and Blue Ash are all fine courses.

Weatherwax is dead cheap and a 36 hole complex to boot.

Maybe ther is no courses in Cinci proper, but if you drive 30 minutes north there is plenty of great golf.

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 11:02:11 AM »
Sharon Woods is pretty reasonable for a run of the mill public.

Brian, if this isn't an endorsement relative to the rest of the post, I don't know what is...

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 12:04:40 PM »
I would hardly call Cincinnati golf starved.

Shaker Run, Weatherwax, Walden Pond, and Blue Ash are all fine courses.

Weatherwax is dead cheap and a 36 hole complex to boot.

Maybe ther is no courses in Cinci proper, but if you drive 30 minutes north there is plenty of great golf.

Jerry,

Cincinnati is a huge city with 2 professional sports teams. It has never hosted a mens major and it has one golf course that is mentioned in national discussions and it is too short to host anything for men. Anything that is worth playing that is public is 30 minutes away. I would call that golf-starved. What would be the definition of starvation if Cincinnati isn't? Have you seen Cincinnati Country Club? ;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »
Sharon Woods is pretty reasonable for a run of the mill public.

Brian, if this isn't an endorsement relative to the rest of the post, I don't know what is...

If one wants to play a solid golf course, I would say go play Sharon Woods. If someone wants to play one course while they are in a certain town, I would have a tough time recommending anything that Cincinnati has to offer and knowing that the person would be satisfied. Public? Elks Run is about as comfortable as I would feel. If Brian can get on Coldstream, Camargo or Kenwood, there is no need for this discussion. I think the real course at Kenwood is as good as Coldstream is. Coldstream is not a lot of fun golf ever, but especially the first time you play it, because you won't have a pin sheet and you will have no idea where you are going on those aircraft carrier greens.

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
I agree, I would just as soon play Ken...view? as Coldstream.

Let's not forget, Brian isn't coming to town for the golf.  He's trying to get in some golf.  Sharon is as close to a home course as I've ever had, and I think it's as solid of a muni as you're going to find anyplace in the area.

As far as private courses, what about Hyde Park, Maketewah, and Clovernook?  Anything over in Kentucky?  Triple Crown?  Never played any of these places myself.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:52:50 PM by JAL »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 12:40:05 PM »
Isn't there a course in the area that opened in the past couple of years that was designed and built by a wealthy amateur architect?  If so, what's the verdict?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian Joines

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 12:43:28 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.

As of now I don't have access to the three privates you mentioned so public golf is where I'm forced to look. I will definitely be checking in to the public courses you recommended.

My brother is supposed to be playing at Hyde Park today. I wasn't able to find a website or any pictures, so all I know is that it's a Ross course (which is a good start). Not sure if that will be available to us the weekend I am in town but I sure hope so.

Glenn, if you have input on Hyde Park, I'd love to hear it.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 12:53:43 PM »
Hyde Park? Yes, it is a Ross and the clubhouse has the drawings up and everythin. My ex-stepmother is a member there and I never asked to play there, because I heard it was not worth it and there was not a lot of Ross left. I just didn't bother, I wish I would have. I saw a few holes from the clubhouse and they looked fine though. Maketewah is a fine course. Clovernook is a ways behind it, but not bad, just a country club golf course. I have not played Triple Crown. If Brian can play Hyde Park, I would go with that over anything public, if it were me. It is in a nice area and pretty posh with a good architect, at least worth seeing once, unless you are an idiot like me.

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 01:54:39 PM »
If Brian can play Hyde Park, I would go with that over anything public, if it were me.

Plus after the round you can practically walk to get some good Indian food and then hit Hap's.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 02:35:13 PM »
True, there were some great Short par 3's at the Hyde Park Bar and Grill and Haps the last time I was there also. They ranged from 105-125 pounds. The conditioning was excellent.

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 03:26:01 PM »
I would suggest that Cincinnati suffers more from a lack of these courses than from a lack of golf courses.  But that's just me.  I'm sure there are some hidden gems out there someplace.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 03:27:34 PM »

Elks Run
Stonelick Hills
Sharon Woods
Weatherwax (Best Deal)

That's all folks..

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 03:48:07 PM »
I would suggest that Cincinnati suffers more from a lack of these courses than from a lack of golf courses.  But that's just me.  I'm sure there are some hidden gems out there someplace.

JAL,

Sure, I didn't know that golf courses that suck counted as golf courses!! ;D  Maybe Brian should try Western Row or Crooked Tree-lol Crooked Tree is certainly unforgettable!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back