News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Stanford (Bell) or Cal club (macan)
« on: August 06, 2006, 10:38:23 PM »
for those  who are familiar with both any preferences? thanks

are  stanfords  greens  inferior to Cal Club ?

Bill_McBride

Re:Stanford (Bell) or Cal club (macan)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 10:59:47 PM »
Mark, I suspect there is little left of either Thomas/Bell's greens at Stanford or Macan's greens at Cal Club.  Each course has been extensively remodeled/renovated over the years.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:10:50 AM »
To be specific the original Cal-Club was designed by Willie Lock. For some reason, I am still trying to figure this part out-Macan was brought in to finish the course. He followed Lock's routing for the course, but made changes to the moulding of the greens. Lock is almost forgotten, he was a no mention in Cornish and Whittens book even though he was heavily involved in the Bay Area having designed the original Lake Merced couse in 1922 for starters.

Tully

Sean_Tully

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »
redanman

To be more specific, Cal Club took over the old San Francisco Golf and Country Club(SFGC today) course when they moved to their current location in 1918. The course was pretty simple having 10 holes that crossed the RR tracks that went through the property. Given that little bit of info you can see why they decided to move. The course then became known as Ingleside and stayed open until they decided to add on at SFSU in the early 1940's.

They moved from the old course mentioned above to the current site in 1924 having Willie Lock design the course and for reasons unknown macan took over the design and construction of the course(he used the routing but he designed the greens). A couple of years after that Mackenzie came in and reworked the bunkers. Interesting happenings there that I hope to find some reasons for.

Tully

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back