News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Jeff Goldman asked for this one.  While the green bunkering looks to be fairly characteristic of Langford there is a a significant lack of fairway bunkering.  Was Tillie there in the 30's??  

Jeff says Arthur Hills is doing the renovation work that can be seen in the google aerial.  It looks like they are adding a practice facility which has resulted in the loss and alteration of several holes including one green just SW of the Clubhouse that looked to have dual bunkers pinching the front of the green much like the 17th at Lawsonia.  Packard and Killian/Nugent also did work there starting in the 1960's.    

Ruth Lake 1939

Ruth Lake Current

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 11:22:03 AM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

T_MacWood

Dan
You're right about the course lacking his typical fairway bunkering, even the greenside bunkering doesn't really scream out Langford to me. I wonder about the attribution or if maybe Langford came in after 1939. There area couple of greenside bunkers in the new aerial that look more like Langford than anything in the old photo.

RJ_Daley

These old B&W aerials look like an Xray of a person's bowels.  Lots of gas pockets and such... ::)

But, one can clearly see that the course was playing summer browned out, firm and fast.  ;) ;D  The only darkish spots in FWs are obviously low areas where little water collected.  But, I think the aerial probably indicates very typical Langford push up earthworks greens.  One sees very narrow green between the greenside bunkers and the sand. I think that indicates that in every case, they have a steep grass slope from the green top down to the flatish sand.  

I'm no reconnoisance expert, but I think I see faint hints of grass mounding diagonally in some of the FWs.  But, I think that the dry conditions of dormant turf makes the contrast hard to see. They sure did upgrade the gravel road on the western boundary since then.  ::) ;D

Thanks Dan... this is fun.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Moore

Dick,

Don't you think it would be helpful if one of the architects would provide a primer on how to read these old aerials or how they are used to interpret the past.  To use your analogy, I kind of feel like I'm in the Doc's office looking at an X-Ray and don't have the training to see everything important in these old aerials.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jeff Goldman

My understanding is that the work at Ruth Lake is basically finished.  I saw the booklet put together for the membership of the proposals, which was really cool--pictures of the holes as they were an paintshop pictures of what they would look like after the work was done.  Didn't think much of the proposed work, but the booklet was really good.  From what I hear, it is a little controversial.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Dan Moore

Jeff,  Besides really cool booklet and pictures did the booklet talk about the history of the course and its architecture?  Was Langford mentioned at all?  

PThomas

My understanding is that the work at Ruth Lake is basically finished.  I saw the booklet put together for the membership of the proposals, which was really cool--pictures of the holes as they were an paintshop pictures of what they would look like after the work was done.  Didn't think much of the proposed work, but the booklet was really good.  From what I hear, it is a little controversial.

Jeff or anyone:  anybody played here?  it isn't discussed as a great course by any means it seems....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tim_Cronin

If there is controversy, it may be because there was a redo of the course, though without great changes in the routing, about a decade ago. I was there for a U.S. Women's Open qualifier shortly after, and the members were happy to have their course back.
Is Ruth Lake like Westmoreland, with a redo every few years, needed or not?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jeff Goldman

Jeff,  Besides really cool booklet and pictures did the booklet talk about the history of the course and its architecture?  Was Langford mentioned at all?  

Dan,

I don't recall history being mentioned at all, though I could be wrong.  The presentation was terrific, and I think done by their superintendent, Dan Marco, who has an outstanding reputation.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back