News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Prairie Club
« on: July 17, 2006, 06:22:31 PM »
I haven't heard much about this new course lately.  Anyone have any idea what's transpiring?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jason Hines

Re:Prairie Club
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:08:10 PM »
Scott,

I thought I would bump this one back to the top, I have not seen much lately on Geoff Schackelford's website either.  I have spent a couple of weekends this summer playing golf in our sand hills and cannot wait to go back.  It would be a shame not to see this go through.

Jason

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:54:46 AM »
The word on the street (oops) is.... there are some legal issues that need to be resolved before the project can go forward.

However, I suspect that the truth is much deeper and perhaps personal.

For that reason, I think it would be a marvelous cause celeb, that as a group, we attempt to organize assistance. My feelings are, whatever needs to get done, so Dr. Trimble can get her done.

From all local accounts, the Valentine area is a very special place. Combine that with the economic boost a projet of this magnitude can provide a community, I know I'd personally help in any way possible.

I'm not positive where in relation to the town the course is situated.

From today's NP Telegraph. Sad but true.

http://www.nptelegraph.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16933423&BRD=377&PAG=461&dept_id=531813&rfi=6
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 11:02:45 AM »
Adam Your spirit is one of the many great qualities you possess. I do hope you and RJ continue to champion the Sand Hills area projects.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:03:11 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 11:04:35 AM »
Adam,

The land for the courses is about 10-15 miles SW of town off route 97 (the same road that Sand Hills is off of an hour to the south).

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 11:13:58 AM »
Adam,
Your word from the street is seemingly from the gutter.

Not a single word of it is anywhere near factual truth. The project is going to happen, and happen soon. This is what I'm being told by REPUTABLE sources.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:17:04 AM »
Tommy - I wouldn't ask you to go into details if you can't but being Huskers (Adam, like it or not, your are one now) that is what is being said to most natives around here.

The course website hasn't been updated for well over a year. It would be great if we could get some more info. Maybe I should just exercise some patience.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:26:35 AM »
Can someone tell me the address of the project's website?  

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 11:32:12 AM »
David,

I usually try the obvious first to find new clubs' web sites....it works quite often.   :)

http://www.prairieclub.com/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:56:48 AM »
Tommy:  You don't need to jump all over Adam, he was hoping that the project is going to happen and wondering if there was anything he could do to help.  If it's all set and no need to worry, just say so!

One thing I think sucks about this web site is all the impatience over new projects.  They are brought up for discussion way too early, and then people just keep asking questions about them.  There's no point in discussing them until something is happening.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 12:00:04 PM »
Tommy, I wasn't attempting to say, or imply, that the word on the street, was the latest. Just the last word which is now months old.

You obvious have much more current info.

And to quote John Tiger B.
Your spirit is one of the many great qualities you possess.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 12:02:35 PM »
Tommy:  You don't need to jump all over Adam, he was hoping that the project is going to happen and wondering if there was anything he could do to help.  If it's all set and no need to worry, just say so!

One thing I think sucks about this web site is all the impatience over new projects.  They are brought up for discussion way too early, and then people just keep asking questions about them.  There's no point in discussing them until something is happening.

The blame for the constant impatience, questions and discussions should go to the developer and not this web-site.  If they don't want the discussion and questions, then don't make a web-site promoting the development.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 12:12:10 PM »
If it wasn't for the raters and their free pass to play and critique new courses we wouldn't have this problem...It is a beast that needs to be fed.  You rarely see potential new members beating the drums...As a matter of fact I'm a little dissapointed in Tommy slamming Adam when Adam is now America's host..Adam should be celebrated as the one man who put his money and his ass where his mouth is..

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 12:22:39 PM »
Ryan:  True enough.  But developers are all the same -- if they weren't optimistic by nature they sure as hell wouldn't be in the business they are in.  People on this site should be experienced enough to know that not every project happens when it's supposed to.

A couple of times I've been put in the very awkward position of having to explain what's going on, when our client was clearly struggling but when the LAST thing they wanted me to say in public was the truth.  And they're paying me to stay involved and to stay optimistic ... or at least they paid me something at some point.

Anyway, everything above is just a waste of breath.  When The Prairie Club happens, I feel safe in assuming that we will hear all about it.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 12:30:48 PM »
Tom, I didnt consider my attempt to help a waste of breath.

As to you new rule of not discussing new projects before foot one of dirt is moved.  

Your enthusiasm when you initially announced the chance for the Palm desert project was one of the great posts on this board. You made a statement and delivered. Too much PC is BS, IMO.  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 09:28:20 AM »
Watch carefully.

This is a follow-up.

http://www.nptelegraph.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16937884&BRD=377&PAG=461&dept_id=531813&rfi=6

South of town appears to be safe.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 09:50:43 AM »
Didn't mean to create such controversy, just simply wanted to know how the project was coming along.  Thanks for all the input.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 12:34:33 AM »
Scot, No controversy. Here's the link to the article I was remembering when I spoke up to answer your query.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news/article/0,1299,DRMN_3_4782492,00.html

There are plans for another high-end resort about an hour's drive north of Valentine, Neb., although development of the Prairie Club remains on hold because of a land dispute.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 01:00:06 AM »
I think it is odd that we don't hear more about large canyon fires up in that northern Niobrara river area.  In a way, it is something like the canyons of SoCal, with plenty of fuel to burn a huge amount of timber and grasslands.  The canyons are deep, full of pine, and ringed with dry grass tinder.  The terrain isn't what many of you think of sand hills endless grassland sand dunes, treeless, etc.  If you look at the Prairie Club photos in that Snake river canyon, that is what much of the land is like.  It would be a real worry always that the old forest pines in those canyons would go up in flames.  The prairie burns and rejuvenates within the season.  But those old pines take 100 years and more.  

That diversity of terrain is what makes the Prairie Club parcels all the more unique.  The river canyon contrasted with the prairie rolling grasslands above the cap rock is what will really set the Prairie Club apart from the other sand hill courses.  Of the three (Dismal, Sand Hills GC, and BallyNeal) the Prairie Club has the most diverse and beautiful surrounds, IMHO.

But..... the PC land is about a 30 minute trip southwest of Valentine.  I remain skeptical about it, the Dismal River project and anything else up there aquiring the staffing personnel on a constant basis to make the projects the success that SHGC has been.  There are only a finite amount of ranchers and sand hills folks that may want to work and travel the distances to be employed at such a project.  With gas prices going crazy, that puts all the more doubt in the incentive and allure of locals working there.  

I don't know anything about the decisions and plans of Dr. Trimble.  I know he is a very fine gentleman with a very deep feeling for that land.  He will do what is best and feasible at the end of the day.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back