News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Tom Fazio's Worst Holes
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 10:22:37 AM »
Mike,

All I'm saying is that if you don't think there are 25 nines in this country you don't like golf..

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 10:23:40 AM »
Mike,

All I'm saying is that if you don't think there are 25 nines in this country you don't like golf..

John,

That might be a great idea for a thread.   I think it's probably pretty close, but would love to see a tally.

Wanna start it?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 10:30:24 AM »
I would be real tempted to give Victoria National a 9, but that is hard for me, because I like Crooked Stick better and it is not a 10, so maybe not.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 10:31:47 AM »
No...I just read the criteria for a nine and feel comfortable with my statement.  If you want to start a thread have at it...I can't be party to starting another hey look at me where I played thread...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 10:35:17 AM »
Here's the definition of Doak 9:

9:  Outstanding course. One of the best in the world with no weaknesses. Should see in your lifetime.

JK, as you know, I love golf as much or more than damn near anyone.  But if we stick to that definition, are there really 25 in this country?  That would really stretch the meaning of "one of the best in the world", no?

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 10:35:58 AM »
I would be real tempted to give Victoria National a 9, but that is hard for me, because I like Crooked Stick better and it is not a 10, so maybe not.

Given my relationship with Indiana and the role of Pete Dye in a field my brother holds dear...Crooked Stick was a nine for me..different people have different criteria..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:36:44 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 11:03:24 AM »
I agree with you John. I would say Crooked Stick 9 and Victoria, somewhere around 8.5, as you know I am still reeling from not playing in that partners tourney there. I just don't understand Crooked Stick's present position in the rankings. I know the rankings are crazy sometimes, but still, I don't get it. I started a thread on it a while ago, but I didn't get what I wanted from it. Could someone chime in with some failures at Crooked Stick? I know that some said 9 has been tinkered with and all, but I still really, really liked that hole. I would like to hear some examples of a golf course with better par 3's on it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 11:07:23 AM »
Glenn,

The problem with Crooked Stick in the raters eyes is that John Daly won the championship with a mullet.  Daly winning is the worst thing that ever happened to the course.  That being said I think it is fairly represented in the two major lists...Once you crunch the numbers and get to know a fair amount of raters you realize anywhere in any top 100 to just too good to squable about.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 01:35:48 PM »
Glenn,

The problem with Crooked Stick in the raters eyes is that John Daly won the championship with a mullet.  

No John, the problem is that John Daly won the championship with a drunken buzz on!    ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back