News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Allan Hutton

Touring Players comments
« on: July 20, 2006, 03:25:21 PM »
Quote from Fred Couples:

"When you are flying balls on the front of the greens and they are going all the way through and down the embankments over the back, that to me is not true links golf."

When touring players are quoted in the press on the setup of courses, do their comments have a positive or negative impact on the game?  In most cases, I would say negative, however our recent US Open champion may debate this point!!

Tom_Doak

Re:Touring Players comments
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:33:23 PM »
That's a beauty, there.  If I see Freddie at The Valley Club this fall I will ask him if he really meant that!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »
No offense to Couples, he is one of my favorites, but I don't think you will see anyone from outside the US make comments like that. The US touring pro is so spoiled it is not even funny.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 03:43:15 PM »
I don't know if pro comments serve or hinder the game.  What I do know is that true links golf is what mother nature gives you.  It is rare to encounter perfect conditions.  If the R&A and hadn't watered the greens yesterday (before a forecasted shower) then we would probably have had about as good as conditions as could possibly be hoped for today.  Instead, I saw several shots checking very nicely downwind today.  While I agree that conditions yesterday were on the edge and I am told that on Monday they were past the edge, it was more entertaining to watch guys struggle to find ways to get their approaches close yesterday.  The course had to be playing at least two shots more difficult yesterday.

Ciao

Sean  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back