News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glen Rapoport

Newport Beach California
« on: July 19, 2006, 03:16:01 PM »
People,

I have to attend a conference in Newport Beach California in September.  Can anyone reccommend good golf for Thursday afternoon once I arrive at SNA and then MOnday morning prior to departing.  I can't seem to get a clear picture if there is anything remarkable in Orange County at that location.  Many thanks.

Glen

Geoffrey Childs

Re:Newport Beach California
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »
Glen

I'm not totally sure of the logistics from where you are staying but Shady Canyon is worth a visit.

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:45:05 PM »
Shady Canyon is also private...if you've got access, there are a few options in the area.

On the public side, you're right...nothing is too too remarkable.

If you're looking for a relaxing "away from the city" vibe, Strawberry Farms is not bad...a bit pricey, but they've got a great Chicken sandwich (Doug DiCences of California Anaheim Angels of the Greater Los Angeles County Region fame) and the Strawberry shortcake is spectacular - enjoy it out on the deck.

Oak Creek (Fazio) is also not bad in the immediate area, from what I have heard...though I've not played it.  

Having not come across anything else in the immediate area that I loved, I'm forced to suggest SF and a course I've not played.

The longer of the two (Los Lagos) at the Costa Mesa muni complex is decent as far as munis go.

Strawberry Farms would be my choice for a place to spend a leisurely last morning in Orange County before you leave...if you've got the time to enjoy lunch.

Mark Leo

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »
The courses at Pelican Hill are both outstanding but I think they are being transformed into a resort right now, and I'm not sure if they are open.  You may want to call.

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »
The courses at Pelican Hill are both outstanding but I think they are being transformed into a resort right now, and I'm not sure if they are open.  You may want to call.

Estan cerrados

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 06:52:41 PM »
The courses at Pelican Hill are both outstanding

Don't let Tommy see that comment! :o
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 12:03:10 AM »
Glen,
Please do let me know when your in town and maybe we can get together for a round or dinner or something.

Pelican Hill will still be closed. After 16 long years of play, someone finally woke-up and saw that other then two holes--the back to back par 3's, that the Ocean South course was in fact horrible and that the Links North Course wasn't even close to being able to call itself a faux links, so after renaming it Ocean North, the only logical thing to do was completely remodel it because it was so good.....or so they say.

I don't mind the North course too much, but other then a spectacular view the golf was ultimately just so-so. Nice looking bunkering though, even though most of it didn't come into play strategically. (strategerially)

But you get what you pay for...

It's not knock down drag-em' out great golf, but I always like being out at the original North course at Cota De Caza. (both RTJ II.)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 03:13:28 PM »
Aliso Viejo in Mission Viejo is 27 holes of Nicklaus Jr. Very challenging and fun if your not walking. Just up the road from Newport.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »
Tim,
That would be Aliso Viejo and it was so fun and challenging that it was close to putting Knotts Berry Farm's Ghost Town out of business.

I'm told they are either getting rid of, or have already gotten rid of nine holes for housing. It's the type of course Nicklaus rightfully should be bashed for.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back