News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Policano

The Grove - UK
« on: July 15, 2006, 05:59:54 AM »
This week I was fortunate to play The Grove, Kyle Phillips, host of the Amex World Championships in September.  The course has excellent movement in the fairways, some very good bunkering and excellent greensites with dramatic shelving and drop-offs.  However, the greens were disappointly benign.

My buddy and I played a combined 54 holes.  At the end of his 18 he said, "was it my imagination or was every putt straight?"  Unfortunately, he was right.  I had five putts in 36 holes that were more than a ball outside the cup.  And my first putt was rarely anywhere near the hole.

Later I read in the promotional material that the greens were to USGA specs.  Could it be that the USGA specs led to the lack of movement on the greens?

Tony_Muldoon

Re:The Grove - UK
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 06:16:52 AM »
Mike I've long wondered about the place.  After Kingsbarns Kyle Phillips was becomming a Sacred Cow on here (at least for his work in the UK Tommy).  Tiger will be there just before the Ryder Cup.  Have you any photo's?

Also it seems very pricey but doing well? I'm tempted by the twilight offer but even that's about £55.   More info please as I've asked questions on here before and no one else seems to have played it.  One pro who had, told me it dissapointed him as he felt it was a run of 18 good holes but that nothing stood out?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Policano

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 05:58:30 PM »
Tony, the course plays 7150 from the back.  I played a combination around 6500.  It was pretty windy both days that I played.

The course was in good shape with high grass throughout the course which didn't impede play much.  The land has a lot of elevation changes and is very walkable.

Oddly, they have planted hundreds of trees.  They are in very odd spots.  There are 16 trees planted in two straight lines between the second and ninth holes.

Other trees will block some great views from one hole to another.  Others are lined on grass hills separating holes.  Still others are behind greens which will assist with depth perception.

The greens have no where near the movement that Kingsbairns has inspite of really great green complexes.

There are also some super chipping areas on any number of greens.

More to follow

Mike Policano

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 06:14:08 PM »
1 - 350 yards - good easy opening hole to start the round.  Oddly has a cart parth cutting all the way across the fairway 30 yards from the green.

2 - 445 yards - downhill par 4 - good greensite the repels wayward approaches.

3 - 445 yards  - tough par 4 - water cuts across the fairway from 80 yards out to 30 yards from green.  Requires a well hit drive.

4 - 210 yds - narrow  green protected in front by a brook.  Quite a challenge.

5 - 435 yds - a path cuts across the fairway about 140 yards from the green.  Great green complex, all carry and fun chipping areas

6 - 560 yds - not very exciting or strategic

more later

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 07:18:04 PM »
I have heard pretty good things about The Grove, and look forward to seeing it on TV this fall ... if I'm near a TV that weekend.

But, London is a tough neighborhood, there are lots of great courses close at hand and you would have to build something pretty darned special to compare at all with the neighbors.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 12:44:59 AM »
USGA specs cost a lot of money and in most places are definitely not the best option. Most archies use them because they don't have the b**ls to do anything else.

Mike Policano

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 07:15:30 AM »
Tom, it is definitely worth seeing given the movement in the fairways, bunkering and greensites especially on the back nine.  The 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, and 17th have really interesting and fun greensites.  

I did thnk the greens were relatively benign given the movement from tee to green even before playing Wentworth and Sunningdale Old and New the next couple of days.

I would also recommend The Grove as a place to stay for a couple of days.  Great hotel, very good food, nice size and good for estate planning.  Your estate will have less in it after visting.  ;)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »
I would also recommend The Grove as a place to stay for a couple of days.  Great hotel, very good food, nice size and good for estate planning.  Your estate will have less in it after visting.  ;)
As I thought.  I was trawelling towards Watford one day when I saw the sign. The hotel looks a (insert your own idea of luxury traveller here) 10.  

I stopped the car and looked at one of the greens on the left as you drive in.  I am still surprised at your comment re no breaks. I played a course on Tuesday with USGA greens and it was the slowest they've ever been, I’m wondering if they slowed them down by cutting them high to protect them from the recent heat (predicted 31 degrees tomorrow)?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Policano

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 10:30:36 PM »
Tony, I know what you mean.  That was the third hole, which is a very good hole.  The greens look like there is more movement than there is.  That green has some movement, but not as much as it appears.

Very nice place to stay.  I hope you play it before all the trees grow in.  I think you will enjoy the back nine.  Let me know.

Ciao

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 05:04:30 AM »
Have a safe trip Mike! But a fun one!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back