News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Re:US Women's Open Sites
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 08:32:04 AM »
Jim,

As a resident of St. Louis for the first 36 years of my life, I agree with you that the weather in St. Louis, especially in late June - early July would be fine for a Women's Open.  The weather was not a factor in the 1992 PGA, and the Seniors managed to handle the heat of the Senior Open in 2004.  In addition, the LPGA, Champions Tour and Nationwide Tour each had very successful summer tour stops through the 1990s.

I also agree that St. Louis C.C. would be an excellent Women's Open site.  Unfortunately, I think the lack of space for the non-golf facilities and the traffic logistics would be the primary problem (assuming for this discussion the membership was interested).

I attended the 2004 Women's Open at the Orchards in South Hadley, MA, and there were quite a few Corporate tents in addition to the merchandise tents and concessions.  The Orchards appeared to have more space between holes for these facilities then does St. Louis. C.C.

St. Louis C.C. was scheduled to have a Women's Am in the mid-1980s.  However, in post-Shoal Creek, St. Louis C.C. was likely not in compliance with USGA requirements per membership.  The club opted out of hosting the tournament stating the turf was damaged and was not in proper condition to host that event.  The rumors were that during the dates of the cancelled Women's Am, the course was in excellent condition.

From what I have heard and read, St. Louis C.C. membership diversity is adequate to host a USGA event.  It would appear the club is no longer interested in hosting a USGA event, especially seeing that the boy's Junior Am is being held at Boone Valley next year.  It is a shame that this great course, with a long USGA history is not interested in hosting a significant amateur event.  This course would be a great location for any level of amateur play.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 09:37:24 AM »
I loved this question and I think there are a ton more that would be intersting, many in Ohio to say the least. Wouldn't the newly made-over Brookside in Canton be just perfect for this? I would like to see the Women's Amateur take this 'old US Open route as well.' This would really be a good showing of how the courses used to play. Kahkwa Club played perfectly for the Girls Junior a few years ago or was that the Amateur?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 09:52:14 AM »
I know there has been some discussion about the possibility of Bethpage Red hosting either the women's Open or the men's Amateur.

I think it is perfect for the women's Open but would not be as good for the Amateur.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 11:48:01 AM »
I like seeing a lot of different sites, and I think that's one reason the Women's Open should be played at different venues than the men. I think there are enough high quality venues the men don't play to come up with a great unofficial "rotation".

The other reason I vote for B is that I think it's good for the women to stay away from such direct comparisons to the men's game. I mean, everyone knows that they hit it shorter and don't play quite as well generally - but I don't think it's in the interest of the women's game to drive home that point by playing the same course with an easier setup and potentially still shooting higher scores.

I think one great ingredient at Newport was that there was no scoring precedent. The women played a tough course and even par won. Great! If the men had played a tournament there, somebody would have shot -15 probably - and it's much better for the women's game that they didn't have to deal with such a comparison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back