News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

The best things in gca over the last 25 years
« on: July 11, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »
Consider this the glass half full counterpoint to the "greatest architectural crimes" thread.

What do you think the 5 or 10 (or however many you wish to list) things are to have happened related to golf course architecture over the last 25 years?

Here's my quick list (subject to modification later upon further reflection), my (revised) top 10 (it will surely grow as I think of others):

10. Sleeping Bear Press - They might not have made tons of $$$, but they did inspire me and a bunch of other people to read the  thrilling (sorry, JakaB) works of both new authors like Geoff Shackelford and Tom D and revitalized old classics by Mackenzie and Co.

9. Reclaimed industrial projects/landfills/etc.: Old Bridge Works in MT was the first I'd heard of this trend. Seems like a great way to turn lemons into lemonade.

8. Manmade wonders: As started by Shadow Creek, the ability to take a barren landscape and build something cherished and enjoyed by many has been on balance a huge positive, imho. I know plenty don't care for this, but I'm a TomPauler when it comes to things like this: It's a great big world out there, there's room enough for everyone.

7. Shinnecock and Pinehurst#2 join the US Open rota. Gotta love 'em.

6. Deforrestation programs - Hooray for Oakmont, Winged Foot, etc.

5. Low cost throwback courses - lay of the land developments, often with a municipal element. Wild Horse, Rustic Canyon, etc., the kind of golf course I wish I had in my neck of the woods... (hint, hint).

4. Pete Dye - Generally credited with beginning the trend away from the sterile 40s, 50s and 60s, he gave us a bunch of great courses, many public, plus he spawned a whole bunch of great architects and shapers.

3. Grand scale private golf clubs in remote locations - If you build it, they will join. Sand Hills is the standard bearer, inspiring other projects like Sutton Bay and Ballyneal.

2. Grand scale golf resorts in remote locations - If you build it, they will come and enjoy it for a few days. :) Bandon is the new old resort, and has inspired other faraway Shangri Las like my favorite course I've never played, Barnbougle Dunes.

1. GOLFCLUBATLAS.COM! Where else can a bunch of armchair architects duke it out with architects, greenkeepers, developers, writers, and, well, just about anyone passionate enough to post, from all over the world?

:)

How about listing a few of your own?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:53:24 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tony_Muldoon

Re:The best things in gca over the last 25 years
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 02:55:40 PM »
Great list George, I love drinking from the half full glass.

The start of a reappreciation of F&F and the ideal maintenance meld :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 02:58:06 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 03:06:57 PM »
I would say the Ocean Course, whether I am right or not, I always link it with being partly the cause of Bandon and all the new seaside courses around the country. Oh, BTW, that was a great list, George.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 03:08:02 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Andy Doyle

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:16:12 PM »
The re-emphasis on walking.

Andy

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 03:48:04 PM »
The research and golf education of architects and historians combining to restore some of out old gems that had fallen into disrepair.  It has resulted in some amazing work, some new twists to old courses that could not be reclaimed, and has to had some influence on the "renaissance" (not trademarked) of golf design in recent years.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »
George do you honestly think the Pittsburgh area will ever get a great public course? I say it will never happen, why? It will make to much money and be too successful. And we know we can't let those types of things go on in the Burgh unless we are talking about the Steelers.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 05:11:36 PM »
I'll say the move to building better PUBLIC courses like Black Mesa, Bandon Dunes, Tobacco Road...not in any particular order...

Now you dont have to belong to a toney country club to see a great design.

Viva la difference! (but Forza Italia!)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:14:41 PM by Jay Flemma »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »
……..Pete Dye

In my mind the most important thing that happened to golf was Pete Dye. Love or hate his work, it actually doesn’t matter, but there is no getting away from how important his influence is on golf. I would, and admittedly this may be a stretch, say that without Pete Dye we may not have got Bill Coore or Tom Doak (not to mention the host of other very worthy architects who could also be mentioned here).

It’s not necessarily the style that he ushered in, or the direct influence on those two particular architects. It’s the trail he blazed by giving golf an alternative to the “moderns” and Trent Jones. Pete Dye changed golf, and in my opinion for the better. He told us that the one solution satisfies all site approach was not the best way to do things. He returned some of the oldest and most interesting ideas back to architecture. From blind shots, to bulk heading he had our full attention.

He also temporarily broke down some of the largest misconceptions like 7,000 yards is a championship course and the notion that all holes should be easy to understand. He returned the mystery and the allure of trying to figure out a course.

Many architects of the ASGCA have mentioned how important Trent Jones was to making this a business and we should have all taken the time to shake his hand. I think I would like to shake Pete Dye’s hand and thank him for returning golf architecture to the art form it once was. Go visit The Golf Club or Crooked Stick and you will see the influence that he has.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:15:25 PM by Ian Andrew »

JMorgan

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 05:24:23 PM »
Great list, George.  I agree with everything... and along the same half full lines, I might actually add the *Equipment Issue*.  Though a negative on the surface, it has caused many golfers to think long and hard about the origins, traditions, and future of the sport.  It has brought more attention to the work of great and not-so-great classic and contemporary architects and designers -- and to the debate of what makes a golf course special in the first place.

Ron Farris

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »
Ian, as one of those other guys - I would also like to think that Pete is one of the best things that has happened in golf -------------Period.  He has given a lot of people life-time opportunities and experiences, based upon hard work and by just being there at the time.  

Truth be told, I enjoyed Pete calling me a Dumb Ass.

Today he probably doesn't remember who I am.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 05:45:27 PM »
Great list, George, I think you have summed up the new golden age of golf design pretty well.  Thanks.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 05:48:53 PM »
Ian:

I will second (or third) your nomination of Pete (and Alice) Dye, and it's not too much of a stretch to say that they are responsible for my career.

The only other golf architect who would even answer my letters at age 18-21 was Geoff Cornish, and he didn't do enough work to hire associates back then.

The three of them are the reason that I answer so much mail and keep up an internship program.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 05:57:21 PM »
George do you honestly think the Pittsburgh area will ever get a great public course? I say it will never happen, why? It will make to much money and be too successful. And we know we can't let those types of things go on in the Burgh unless we are talking about the Steelers.

Ryan, you're much too young to be so cynical. And I think this might be the first time "making too much money" was ever given as a reason for not building a golf course. :)

I think the law of averages is on our side. Sooner or later, someone is going to run out of projects, or maybe one of the up and comers will be looking to make a name, and I intend to be waiting with a suitcase full of unmarked bills when that time comes. :)

Tony and Andy -

I love the f&f and walking comments, I can only hope they are truly on the rise.

-----

I guess I underrated Pete Dye by putting him 4th.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ian Andrew

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »
I feel like a jack ass for not naming Alice, that is certainly a diservice not to do so. Pete is very clear on how she has helped him understand golf and golf architecture.

My bad.

Ron Farris

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »
MY BAD as well.  Alice Dye is a Goddess.  One of my finest memories is seeing my father teeing off from the FORWARD TEES (without shame, fear, or any concerns whatsoever) a few days before he passed away.  

Thank you Alice for forward tees and not ladies tees.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »
One of the events that got me thinking about the history and design of golf courses was Tom Cousins buying and renovating East Lake in 1993.  The merits of the Rees Jones renovation have been discussed on here a number of times, but I remember reading one of the things they did was rip out (most of) the cart paths and return to a mostly walking course, complete with a caddy program.  I thought that was the coolest idea.  I've always loved to walk and couldn't believe someone was actually doing such a retro thing.

I don't know how widespread this is (I fear not very), but I love to see comments related to routing or course design based upon walkability.

Then again, I see courses (DLIII's Windermere comes to mind) built on land that would be unthinkable for golf without carts.

Andy

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »
I've got to include Alice, because she is really the one who answered my letters.  Pete's letters are comical, most are as brief as his answers to Ran's questions.

Paul_Lorenzen

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 07:10:13 PM »
Bethpage Black - no ifs, ands or buts about it. It's the return of a course that had lost its soul and now clearly is the pride and joy of all NY Metro golfers with a heartbeat. If you didn't play it in the 60s and 70s, you just dont know what a gift this magical transformation has become. As a bonus, it has pulled the other 4 along with it.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 07:27:30 PM »
Bethpage Black - no ifs, ands or buts about it. It's the return of a course that had lost its soul and now clearly is the pride and joy of all NY Metro golfers with a heartbeat. If you didn't play it in the 60s and 70s, you just dont know what a gift this magical transformation has become. As a bonus, it has pulled the other 4 along with it.

Good one.

I hope Tom MacWood doesn't see your post and spoil it by convincing us it was a hack redesign  ::)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 07:29:53 PM »
The continued growth in jet travel that has allowed so many of us to travel across seas and other remote outposts with ease.

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2006, 05:43:41 PM »
MY BAD as well.  Alice Dye is a Goddess.  One of my finest memories is seeing my father teeing off from the FORWARD TEES (without shame, fear, or any concerns whatsoever) a few days before he passed away.  

Thank you Alice for forward tees and not ladies tees.

God bless your father, Ron...why more older men don't move up just kills me...if I reach that age and don't move up pls slap me upside the head

George:  great list!

my 2 cents:  Coore and Crenshaw's bringing back mimimalism, and Mr. Doak's work
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Doug Ralston

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 05:59:55 PM »
George, Ryan;

I live in Cincinnati area. A group of players I know went up to Pittsburg way, and played a public that they raved about. It is in Freeport. It is called 'Birdsfoot'.

Have you played it? Is it really not that good? It has been lurking on my 'wish list'. Should I try it, or forget it?

Doug

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »
George put together a very good list. I don't think anyone
mentioned the group of younger, talented architects that have
been coming onto the scene over the last 20 years or so.
I think we can expect a steady flow of good, quality golf courses for years to come. Save for the 1920's, has there been another more fertile decade than, say, 1985-1995?  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:06:56 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 09:08:28 PM »
How about the end of the second dark age of GCA, the 60's and 70's?  Architects learned that artificial mounding, huge flat greens and bunkers placed for scenic puposes only don't have a place.

And I'd say that the Dyes were the catalysts for the change.

Somebody should do a 'Six Degrees of Seperation' from Mr and Ms Dye.  Somehow, I'd bet that the best architects today are linked relatively closely to them.

And Craig - I think the second golden age is still underway.  I wouldn't stop at 1995.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:09:49 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 09:51:22 PM »
Dan-

I'm speaking more in terms of a decade of guys "getting their
start."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back