News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Garland Bayley

Subtle breaks (Dye vs Old dead guy)
« on: July 03, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »
MW said that she found the greens at Bulle Rock hard to read with their subtle breaks, whereas she found the greens at Newport much easier to read. She finished 6th in putting at Newport, so this could be fairly accurate. Also Stacy P put on a putting performance at Newport that still has me shaking my head.

Is this a characteristic of Pete Dye greens that distinguishes his work? Are there greens from, for example, Tillinghast that would be as difficult to read as those at Bulle Rock? Does years and years of maintenance and top dressing tend to remove the subtlty?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Hancock

Re:Subtle breaks (Dye vs Old dead guy)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 08:13:26 PM »
I always saw big contours as easier to read, but harder to putt. The pro's just do some amazing things from time to time.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:30:57 PM »
I can't speak for all of Dye's courses, but Bulle Rock definitely does have subtle countours that can drive you nuts on the green.  I'm not complaining - I thought it was amazing how a putt could break without seeing anything that'd clue you into the break ahead of time.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 11:21:35 PM »
Wouldn't Michelle's perspective on Newport be somewhat tainted by how wet and slow the course was?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back