News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave McCollum

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #550 on: March 11, 2010, 02:57:19 AM »
Jason--

I’ll try.  After four years, I’m just getting into it, how it works, how it goes.  Slow learner that I am, I ‘m just seeing that it isn’t all that time-consuming.  I laughed my ass off—excuse me—I was LOL—at some of the posts from the early days of the DG.  Very funny and at the same time insightful.  Like I think I said, it is a pleasure and a rare experience to share some bandwidth with passionate golfers.  It is truly amazing that so many of you have stayed so long and contributed so much.  I haven’t read it all, of course—you all are as apparently nuts as I am about this crap—but I do appreciate listening in when I can.  Thanks to all. 

I haven’t tried, but I gather there are a few tricks to posting pictures on this site.  I like pictures.  It’s what I used to do.  It can’t be hard.  I just need some basics.  Help, from savvy nerds!  Love you guys.  Be one myself, if my kids hadn’t convinced me that my time has passed.

Jason Topp

« Reply #551 on: March 11, 2010, 12:04:33 PM »
Jason--

I’ll try.  After four years, I’m just getting into it, how it works, how it goes.  Slow learner that I am, I ‘m just seeing that it isn’t all that time-consuming.  I laughed my ass off—excuse me—I was LOL—at some of the posts from the early days of the DG.  Very funny and at the same time insightful.  Like I think I said, it is a pleasure and a rare experience to share some bandwidth with passionate golfers.  It is truly amazing that so many of you have stayed so long and contributed so much.  I haven’t read it all, of course—you all are as apparently nuts as I am about this crap—but I do appreciate listening in when I can.  Thanks to all. 

I haven’t tried, but I gather there are a few tricks to posting pictures on this site.  I like pictures.  It’s what I used to do.  It can’t be hard.  I just need some basics.  Help, from savvy nerds!  Love you guys.  Be one myself, if my kids hadn’t convinced me that my time has passed.

Joel -

1.  You first need to have the picture loaded on the web.  I use photobucket but others probably use different services.

2.  You need the web address for the photo.  Here is one for a shot of the par three course at Augusta

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/jasontopp/Masters%202008/Masters009.jpg?t=1268326844

3.  In order to insert the photo you need to surround the photo adress with "img" in brackets before the address and "/img" in brackets after the address.  You can either type the letters or just push the photo button above the window where you post in order to do this.

4.  For example

5.  Preview the post before posting because a small error can screw it up.  For example I had a partial address for this picture and it took me awhile to figure out the problem.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #552 on: March 11, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #553 on: March 14, 2010, 04:06:35 AM »
Can anyone find and bump the original "Who Are You Guys?"
Cave Nil Vino

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #554 on: March 14, 2010, 08:59:33 AM »
Bradley Anderson, CGCS

Greenkeeper of Birmingham CC, Michigan
Married to Kim with 7 children
Bears, Bulls, and Cubs fan

Interest - history of golf course maintenance and architecture

Favorite Golf Courses that I have played - Oakmont, Old Elm, Shoreacres, Glen Flora (Chicago), Knollwood (Chicago), Franklin Hills

Courses I want to play next - Oakland Hills South, Essex, Detroit Golf Club, Red Run, Myopia, Merion, NGLA, Crystal Downs, Kingsley Club, Shinecock, Sand Hills

Ed Oden

« Reply #555 on: March 14, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »

I've got it bookmarked...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12410.0/

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #556 on: March 14, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »

Ed,

As you can see by the first post in each thread, 'revisited' actually pre-dates 'really' by over 2 years, but neither is the original (hence the 're-visited').  The original got semi-lost in board transitions, but someone in the past year found some type of storage site for old links that linked to the original (which had the [sic] name of "Who Are you Guy's?"), which first started in either 1999 or 2000.

Bill Boonn

« Reply #557 on: March 22, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
Name: Bill Boonn
Married with a 20 month old daughter with another one on the way
Residence: Philadelphia, PA.  Raised in Baltimore MD
Home Course: Rolling Green Golf Club (just joined)
Education: Brown University & Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Profession: Physician and Entrepreneur

I came across this site last year when reading up on Rolling Green before applying to join the club.  Actually I owe a lot of my rekindled interest (errr…. obsession) with golf and golf architecture to Rick Summers who, among other things: 
  1.  Convinced me to take a look at Rolling Green rather than joining another Philly area club which shall remain nameless. 
  2.  Invited me on a trip to Bandon Dunes where I not only got a chance to play on 4 fantastic courses, but also meet Mike Keiser, Tom Doak, and Jim Urbina
  3. Got me on Merion East. 
Rick's son Abe is on GCA and posts occasionally.

Although I've been playing off and on since I was in high school, I've only recently started to take the game and its architecture seriously.  I have my requisite copies of Scotland's Gift, The Evangelist of Golf, and The Confidential Guide amongst others (and am dying to get my hands on Wayne's Flynn book…) but I've probably learned the most from reading this site.  Of course nothing beats talking and walking a course in person so I'm looking forward to meeting more GCA members.

Thanks to everyone who makes this site so informative (and entertaining...)

Bill

James Boon

« Reply #558 on: March 22, 2010, 04:49:44 AM »
Mr Boonn

Welcome onboard!

Cheers,

Mr Boon  ;D
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #559 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:21 PM »
Name: Jason Elwell
Married, 9 month old daughter
Work: Engineer
Home: Huntsville, AL
Home Course: The Ledges of Huntsville

Started coming here just a couple of weeks ago after searching online for information about ANGC. I've been lucky enough to attend the Masters twice, and am absolutely enthralled by the course, the spectacle, and everything about it. In digging for information about ANGC, I seem to have discovered I'm a golf architecture nut. I love doodling imaginary routing when I'm bored, and would love to build a course of my own someday. I've only been playing about 5 years, but hopefully I'm young enough that I can really improve in the next few years. I really look forward to learning more and reading everyone's opinions. Thanks for having me!

Jason, my info is buried many, many pages/threads/years ago.  For some reason the site isnt letting me PM you right now, but drop me an email (turboe44@aol.com) as I get to Huntsville quite often for work.  I love The Ledges, for anyone on here who hasn't seen Jason's home course it is an amazing layout on and around a mountain plateau.  The unique thing is that the holes themselves are almost all on very flat sections of the property not what you would expect from such a rugged property overall.  A spectacular course (Hurdzan/Fry design  isnt it?)
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #560 on: April 14, 2010, 09:00:49 AM »

Ed,

As you can see by the first post in each thread, 'revisited' actually pre-dates 'really' by over 2 years, but neither is the original (hence the 're-visited').  The original got semi-lost in board transitions, but someone in the past year found some type of storage site for old links that linked to the original (which had the [sic] name of "Who Are you Guy's?"), which first started in either 1999 or 2000.

Just to prove that I wasn't blowing smoke, here's the web archive link the REAL original Who Are You Guy's [sic] thread, dating back to Feb 3, 2000.

link

(Beware, many of the links to other pages and threads still work, too!  Even the 'lost' 2 course profiles are there!  ;))

Ed Oden

« Reply #561 on: April 14, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »
Thanks Scott!  The identity of Dr. Katz is a revelation!

Harris Nepon

« Reply #562 on: May 25, 2010, 08:27:50 AM »
Name: Harris Nepon
Married
Kids:  No Kids. 2 Dogs, a Labradoodle named Harper and a Chocolate Lab named Tilly. And a Cat named Larry.
Education: University of Western Ontario (Sociology)
Hometown: St. Catharines, ON, Canada

Home Course:  St. Catharines G&CC (Stanley Thompson)
Handicap: 3.2 (If i could putt it would be lower)

I'm just starting out with the achitecture of a golf course. However, i've been playing golf for 20 years. I love golf any where any time. I've caught on to this site about a month ago and have been reading it religously every day. I'm a long way away from knowing even a portion of what most on here do, but I'll get there. I hope to put my 2 cents in where I can. I'm visiting Ballyneal and Sandhills in june with a group of GCA guys. I'm thinking that weekend will be my crash course in golf course architecture.

Thanks to Ran for giving me a lifeline on here.

Favorite Courses Played:
-  Oakmont  
-  St. George's (Toronto)
-  Lookout Point
-  Westmount Golf and Country Club
-  Magna Golf Club
-  East Aurora CC
-  Greystone Golf Club
-  Heron Point Golf Links
-  Scarboro Golf and Country Club
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:51:40 AM by Harris Nepon »

Fred Yanni

« Reply #563 on: May 25, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
Gentlemen,

After many years of enjoying the website I reached out to Ran & Ben last week.  Below is a a bit of background on me.  

Name:              Frederick Yanni
Status:             Married, 3 children  5, 4, 18 months (boy, girl, girl)
Residence:        Southport, CT
Profession:        Botique Investment Bank
Membership(s):  Oak Hill Country Club
Index:              2.5 (May 10)

I have played golf since I was 4 years old and played competitively through college (Colgate University).  Moving to NYC in 1993-1994 put a serious dent in my ability to play for about five years. I currently carry what I like to call the "Tri-State 2" handicap.  This anomaly occurs when you live in the tri-state area, can't afford a club membership and never practice.   The result is 18 of 20 scores between 78-84.  However, throw in the occasional par or better round that I pull out of my hat.. and well you are a 2.    

I grew up on a solid RTJ course called Radisson Greens in Baldwinsville, NY.  RTJ also designed Colgate's Seven Oaks Golf Course.  I spent the first few years of my career in Rochester, NY and was fortunate enough to join Oak Hill CC.  I still maintain an out of town membership. Today I live in Southport, CT, about one minute from Fairfield CC.  

I have been very fortunate and have had the opportunity to play some of the "great" courses including Pine Valley, Merion, National, St. Andrews, Shinnecock, Friars Head, Winged Foot etc.  I have also played many of the courses reviewed on your site including Yale, Chechessee Creek, & Salem.  Each of these courses may not have the cache as the Oakmont's of the world, but are special in their own way and a pleasure to play over and over.

As far as architectural likes and dislikes;  I am a huge Ross fan. There are just so many solid and playable Ross designs.  I love the optionality that Ross gives the player on approach shots and around the greens.  Tillinghast, Raynor and MacDonald are also favorites.  

If I had only a few words to describe my course design preferences they would be; optionality, playability and walkability.  I want options on shots off the tee, into the green, on hole locations and on clubs to play around the greens.  The course should look like it belongs in its surroundings, not manufactured.  Each hole should look as good from the green to the tee as it does from the tee to the green.  Players of all levels should be able to complete the holes and have options to get the ball on the green without having to be a single digit handicap.  

I am not a fan of many of designers over the past 30 years.  I have not played a Nicklaus course that I would ever call playable for players of all levels.  I played Strantz's Tobacco Road this past Sunday. The layout can only be described as violent.  There was nothing that felt natural to the land in a way a Mid Pines or Pine Needles does. You can't walk Tobacco Road, the routing of the holes was terrible.  The entire experience felt like playing par 3 after par 3.  That said I shot 67 there but did not enjoy the golfing experience and would not go back.  

Coore & Crenshaw are maybe my favorite of what I would call the modern designers (although I have not played a Doak course yet).  They incorporate all three of my key preferences into their designs I have played.  Friar's Head is as close to a perfect course as they come.  It is a course that can best be described as flat out fun to play.

I look forward to continuing my architectural education here and contributing where I can.

Thank You

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:49:59 AM by Fred Yanni »

Eric Smith

« Reply #564 on: May 25, 2010, 10:20:22 AM »
That said I shot 67 there but did not enjoy the golfing experience and would not go back.  

I would love to have that experience, (the 67) just once!! ;D

Welcome to GCA, Fred.

Fred Yanni

« Reply #565 on: May 25, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
Thank You Eric

Let me provide just a hair more clarity on Tobacco Road.  I very much enjoyed the score, the day and the company - the course... not so much

Bruce Hospes

« Reply #566 on: May 25, 2010, 12:43:31 PM »
Gentlemen,

I figure that this is as good a place as any to wade in with my first post, so here it goes.

Bruce Hospes CGCS, age 48
Birmingham, Al
Golf Course Superintendent
Married, two boys
Index 9.6

I didn't play much golf as a kid and entered college at Mississippi State with the intention of running a sod farm for a family friend but  my adviser wanted me to try the golf industry at least once, and I was hooked after that.  I've been fortunate in that I love my job and have been able to work with some really great people along the way.

After my first trip across the pond, I really became interested in golf architecture and that's how I came across this site.  Needless to say, the discussions here are interesting and I hope to add to that with a little bit of an insiders' view. 

Thanks

Bill Seitz

« Reply #567 on: May 25, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
Name: Bill Seitz
Education: University of California - Riverside (Poli Sci) & the University of Illinois College of Law
Occupation: Consultant (sales tax) for a small tax consulting firm
Hometown: Temple City, California (right outside Pasadena)

I've been reading reviews on the site for years, and a couple weeks ago I was fortunate to be invited as a last minute fill-in at the Midwest Mashie (thanks, Mark) where I met a number of great people, and had the pleasure of playing a round with Mr. Doak (or rather, as much pleasure as one can have while losing a foursomes match).  Following that experience, I reached out to Ran and here I am.  

I've been playing golf since I was probably about nine years old, but stuck to three par courses with my dad until I was probably 13 or 14.  Played all four years in high school, and then played on the club team in college (before UCR had a division 1 golf team).  My senior year, our home course was the Victoria Club in Riverside, which was built in 1903, and is the only course I've ever played where the last par four is the 12th hole.  The course finishes par 3, par 5, par 5, par 3, par 5, par 5.  I spent most of my time in high school playing at Santa Anita golf course in Arcadia.

I currently play wherever I can get a game, but most often that tends to be at Cog Hill, Pine Meadow, and Cantigny in the Chicago area.  I look forward to learning more about the nuances of architecture, and hope that it may actually have some impact on my scores at some point.  Right now I carry an index around 3, but the last few years that has usually been built on very good Augusts and Septembers, so this time of year I'm actually playing at something probably close to double that.  I try to play in a few of the state/district amateur events every year just to feel the competitive juices flowing.  

When I'm not on the golf course, I'm probably watching Angels games, Los Angeles Kings games, or going to see some small indie concerts at one of the many good venues we have for live music in Chicago.  As a Californian transplanted to the midwest, I can deal with the winters, but will never get used to rain in the middle of the summer.  I hate the idea that a round of golf can get rained out in mid-July.  Though I do prefer the course conditions we get out here as a result.

Favorite Courses Played:

Riviera Country Club
Torrey Pines South
Old Works (MT)
the Links of North Dakota
Bully Pulpit (ND)
Erin Hills
the Kampen Course at Purdue University
Point O Woods
Lost Dunes
Arcadia Bluffs
Cog Hill #4
and the Arcadia (CA) Par 3, but only when I can play there with my dad.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:52:19 PM by Bill Seitz »

PThomas

« Reply #568 on: May 25, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »
Name: Bill Seitz
Education: University of California - Riverside (Poli Sci) & the University of Illinois College of Law
Occupation: Consultant (sales tax) for a small tax consulting firm
Hometown: Temple City, California (right outside Pasadena)

I've been reading reviews on the site for years, and a couple weeks ago I was fortunate to be invited as a last minute fill-in at the Midwest Mashie (thanks, Mark) where I met a number of great people, and had the pleasure of playing a round with Mr. Doak (or rather, as much pleasure as one can have while losing a foursomes match).  Following that experience, I reached out to Ran and here I am. 

I've been playing golf since I was probably about nine years old, but stuck to three par courses with my dad until I was probably 13 or 14.  Played all four years in high school, and then played on the club team in college (before UCR had a division 1 golf team).  My senior year, our home course was the Victoria Club in Riverside, which was built in 1903, and is the only course I've ever played where the last par four is the 12th hole.  The course finishes par 3, par 5, par 5, par 3, par 5, par 5.  I spent most of my time in high school playing at Santa Anita golf course in Arcadia.

I currently play wherever I can get a game, but most often that tends to be at Cog Hill, Pine Meadow, and Cantigny in the Chicago area.  I look forward to learning more about the nuances of architecture, and hope that it may actually have some impact on my scores at some point.  Right now I carry an index around 3, but the last few years that has usually been built on very good Augusts and Septembers, so this time of year I'm actually playing at something probably close to double that.  I try to play in a few of the state/district amateur events every year just to feel the competitive juices flowing. 

When I'm not on the golf course, I'm probably watching Angels games, Los Angeles Kings games, or going to see some small indie concerts at one of the many good venues we have for live music in Chicago.  As a Californian transplanted to the midwest, I can deal with the winters, but will never get used to rain in the middle of the summer.  I hate the idea that a round of golf can get rained out in mid-July.  Though I do prefer the course conditions we get out here as a result.

Favorite Courses Played:

Riviera Country Club
Torrey Pines South
Old Works (MT)
the Links of North Dakota
Bully Pulpit (ND)
Erin Hills
the Kampen Course at Purdue University
Point O Woods
Lost Dunes
Cog Hill #4
and the Arcadia Par 3, but only when I can play there with my dad. 

better you're a King fan v. a Shark fan Bill, cause we'd be giving you lots of shit if you were the latter!  ;)

welcome to GCA
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #569 on: May 26, 2010, 09:07:07 AM »
Gentlemen,

After many years of enjoying the website I reached out to Ran & Ben last week.  Below is a a bit of background on me.  

Name:              Frederick Yanni
Status:             Married, 3 children  5, 4, 18 months (boy, girl, girl)
Residence:        Southport, CT
Profession:        Botique Investment Bank
Membership(s):  Oak Hill Country Club
Index:              2.5 (May 10)

Fred, my three kids are the same age difference yours are and are also boy-girl-girl, born in 1971, 73 and 76.  I hope you get to play a lot more than I did during the 12 years from 1972-1983!  It still haunts my index!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #570 on: May 26, 2010, 09:17:51 AM »
Gentlemen,

I figure that this is as good a place as any to wade in with my first post, so here it goes.

Bruce Hospes CGCS, age 48
Birmingham, Al
Golf Course Superintendent
Married, two boys
Index 9.6

I didn't play much golf as a kid and entered college at Mississippi State with the intention of running a sod farm for a family friend but  my adviser wanted me to try the golf industry at least once, and I was hooked after that.  I've been fortunate in that I love my job and have been able to work with some really great people along the way.

After my first trip across the pond, I really became interested in golf architecture and that's how I came across this site.  Needless to say, the discussions here are interesting and I hope to add to that with a little bit of an insiders' view. 

Thanks

Bruce, you got a great education at Mississippi State.    We have had a succession of young Miss State grads as superintendents and assistants here at Pensacola CC, and those boys can grow grass!

We also got some very good advice (to not overseed our Tifdwarf greens) from the department head, forget his name.

Welcome to GCA.com!

Jeff Martz

« Reply #571 on: May 26, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
Jeff Martz
Home: Lancaster, PA, USA
Married, two children, one boy (9) and one girl (7)
Email: jammartz@verizon.net

Love to read the goings-on of GCA, but I don't have too much to offer, seeing as I have not played many of the great courses that get discussed here.  Having said that, I was recently invited to play Lancaster Country Club (PA) by fellow GCAer Rory Connaughton and joined by other fellow GCAers Joe Bausch and Jim Thornton.  We had a great time on a wonderful course!

I enjoy drawing course layouts, individual hole diagrams and studying hole strategy.  In 2009, my entry in the Alister MacKenzie 'Lido' Prize competition was chosen as the winner.  As a result of winning that competition, I was fortunate enough to attend the annual gathering, which happened to be at Crystal Downs that year.  Spent time at The Pinehurst Junior Golf Advantage School in 1981 and 1982 as a student.  That's where my interest in golf architecture began.

Favorite Courses I've played(so far)
Crystal Downs
The Kingsley Club
Lancaster CC (PA)
Heather Glen (SC)
Pinehurst courses (1 thru 6, not including #2.  I didn't get to play that one as a 12 year old.)
Heathlands (SC - Legends course)

Thanks to Ben and Ran for letting me participate in such a great forum.

Jeff
"To design courses that can be enjoyed even when you're playing badly, and that will stand the test of time, is the art of golf architecture." -- Tom Doak

Eric Smith

« Reply #572 on: May 26, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »
Congrats on winning that contest Jeff, pretty cool!

Spent time at The Pinehurst Junior Golf Advantage School in 1981 and 1982 as a student.  That's where my interest in golf architecture began.

I was there at the Pinehurst Junior Golf Advantage School in the summer of 82 as well...still have the group photo somewhere at my parents house.  Wonder if we were there the same week?  Did you have Mike LeBauve as one of your instructors?  He's still going strong I think in AZ.  Big Rich Wainwright taught me how to splash out of a bunker, and his lessons carry over to this day.  He was, at the time, the head pro at the No. 6 I think.  Man that was a fun week.

I spoke to Jim T. after your round together and he was raving about how good LCC is.  Did you happen to notice how much his swing resembles a man wrestling a python in a phonebooth? ;D

Welcome to GCA Jeff!

Andrew Calcutt

« Reply #573 on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »
Name: Andrew Calcutt
Current Home: Chicago, IL
HomeHome: Traverse City, MI
Email: acalcutt@gmail.com

I am a life long player and always trying to learn more about the game.  I hope
to improve my ability to appropriately criticize golf course architecture and management,
without sounding like an arrogant memeber of the peanut gallery.

I would love to see municipal courses like Palmer Park and Chandler Park in Detroit, and
Jackson Park in Chicago, (which live in some of the toughest neighborhoods in America), improved. 
The game should be for all walks of life. 

I also think there are currently too many golf courses in America and think the country's 'munis' need a
renaissance before we construct more. Until the game of golf becomes more available to everyone,
(price, proximity, lessons, improved muni-course maintenance, shorter pace of play, etc.),  there is no
room for more courses, or overall growth in the game.

I graduated from Colgate University in 2003.  One of my favorite courses is Colgate's Seven
Oaks in Hamilton, NY.  I'm sure this R.T. Jones Sr. masterpiece is sure to stir up the critics.
I find it underrated (bias noted).  I look forward to reading and participating,

- Andrew

jonathan_becker

« Reply #574 on: June 02, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »
Welcome, Andrew.

You made a nice 3 on #10 at Lost Dunes.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back