News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Petersen

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #525 on: March 04, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »
Updated March 2012

Name:             Matthew Petersen
Residence:      Phoenix, AZ (grew up in Denver, CO)
Profession:       Insurance
Education:       Universty of Arizona (Tucson, AZ)
HCP:               Still officially around a 2 only because I haven't played enough to move it. When I have played, which is rare since my son was born, it's been pretty ugly.

I learned the game from my Dad who was an avid player and got me out on courses as soon as those in our area would allow it. I believe I started playing in earnest around the age of 7.

I played in high school, but not especially well. However my school was part of a league that included some of the better golfing schools in the state and as I was our best player I was often in groups with players far above my caliber. I remember many of them but most here will know of Kevin Stadler, the son of the walrus. I don't remember how many rounds we played together but I surely remember that I beat him, just once--on what was nearly a career day for me and probably a career bad day for him!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:19:49 AM by Matthew Petersen »

Matt Schmidt

« Reply #526 on: March 04, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »
Name:            Matt Schmidt
Married, three kids (10-year old son, 7 year-old twin daughters - yes, I have an idea what they will be like in a few years, no need to remind me!)

Work:            Intellectual Property Attorney (patents, trademarks, copyright, etc).
Home course: Oakland Hills CC, Kingsley Club.
HDCP:            2.7

I've enjoyed many of the discussions and the incredible information available through this website.  I am an avid golfer but somewhat new to serious review of course architecture.  My goal is to gain a better understanding of course design and construction so that I appreciate courses more and in different ways.  And, of course, to meet and golf with avid golfers.

Visitors to the metro-Detroit area, or those living here, feel free to look me up and I'll gladly tee it up with you.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:35:54 AM by Matt Schmidt »

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #527 on: March 04, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
Name: Mark Molyneux but then you knew that!
Status: Married second time, for about 19 years to a woman who truly understands what golf means to me.
Kids: 4 daughters (33, 30, 29, 25), a grandson. 
Favorite holiday: Father's Day when my girls take me out to play. They use my clubs and I use my father's vintage MacGregor's (Byron Nelson Tourneys). They're not golfers and it doesn't matter.
Residence: Center City Philly... I grew up in Manayunk. Wish I knew more about Valley Green CC, Roxborough CC (before it moved from Roxborough), and Andorra Springs.
Profession: Psychologist in the city schools.
Education: The Prep & Temple University where I was a catcher on the baseball team and sacrificed my interlocking grip to a foul tip.
HDCP: solid single digit

I learned the game from my Dad when I was a kid. Grew up near Walnut Lane where I played my first round in 1961. I've played about 540 other places since, playing about a 100 rounds a year in recent years. Worked in the shop at Eagle Lodge for about 15 years because I had my summers to myself. I've played at 6 degrees and at 108 degrees. I've played awful golf courses (that can for the moment remain nameless) and great golf courses (Pine Valley, Merion, Winged Foot, The Black, Torrey Pines, etc.). "I believe that flexibility goes back to my parents telling me to "... read, read, read anything and everything! Read great novels and trash. Read poetry and backs of cereal boxes. You'll never appreciate what makes a piece of literature great unless you have some awareness of the bad stuff too"... and so it is with golf designs!

I am an absolute Tillinghast fanatic and I consider just about any original Tilly design to be a destination course... charter member of the Tillinghast Society.

I've read gca for years but I've been too intimidated to even think about posting. There are a lot of brilliant, insightful, and creative people on gca. I'm so impressed every time I open the discussion pages, or whenever I'm reading the historical pieces, golf course treatments, etc.

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #528 on: March 05, 2010, 05:13:18 AM »
Name:  Jeff Stein
Hometown:  Staten Island, NY  /  Bandon (lived here for 10 months)  I may have to retire in this place
Status:  Caddying at Cape Kidnappers/traveling to courses all over NZ/going to Barnbougle Dunes/sandbelt courses
Handicap:  5.5

Dream golf destination:  St.  Andrews!!
Favortite Courses played:  Pasatiempo, Pac Dunes, Meadow Club, Crystal Downs, Bandon Trails, Old Mac, Taconic, Metacommet, MPCC Shores, Chisholm Park (Dunedin, NZ), Cape Kidnappers,  Bethpage Black (slept in my car to wait in line), LaTourette (hometown fav), Highland Links

Stickin' it to a GCA:  I hit a blind 9-iron to 3 feet from hell bunker at Old Mac in front of Jim Urbina.  He didnt say a word and walked away to his truck.

I leaned the game of golf with a cut down 7-iron given to me by my older brother.  I was hooked.  In highschool I was often sneaking on to the front 9 of the South Shore CC during dinner time or being a range rat at the south shore driving range of Staten Island.  I could also be found at almost any course within 2 hours driving in the Tri- State area.  I broke 80 for the first time at Richter Park in Danbury, CT.  I waited out a 3 hour thunderstorm to then beg the super to let me finish my round from 16 green, I finished with a double on 18 for a 78!

As a child I used to sled down the rolling 18th fairway of Whipporwhill CC in Armonk, NY and I began caddying at Bedford Golf and Tennis Club when I was 14.  It was during this time that my interest in classic golf architecture was peaked.  This past summer I walked on 3 great golf courses and took dilligent notes and pictures:  Cypress Point, Winged Foot E/W, Brookline CC.  All amazing pieces of golf history.

In 2008/09 Mr. Doak was kind enough to get me a spot on his construction crew for Old Macdonald.  I had the time of my life and learned a lot from the craftsmen at Renaissance Golf Design.  I think I learned the most of all from the wet sand, rock/gorse removal, and cold rainy mornings in Februrary.  It is still a dream of mine to call myself a GCA.

I almost ended up in Nebraska this winter working on another constuction project, but landed in New Zealand instead!  Im currently caddying at Cape Kidnappers and travelling to as many other noteworthy golf courses that I can learn something about golf architecture.  Since my constuction experience I have been focusing on finding my niche in the golf community and have been maintaing a blog about my golfing travels.  Its been great to be a part of this forum so far, glad to finally introduce myself.

Best,

Jeff Stein
http://worldgolf-jeffrey.blogspot.com
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Brett Morris

« Reply #529 on: March 05, 2010, 05:35:42 AM »
Name:          Brett Morris
Status:         Married (12 years), 1 daughter Charlotte who turns 1 on March 7, 2010
Residence:    Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia
Profession:    Director of Agronomy (Turnpoint Pty Ltd) & Superintendent - Sea Temple Golf Club
Education:    PhD - The University of Sydney
HCP:            5

Current Superintendent who loves the game.  Completed my Masters and PhD in turf which helps with what I do.  Was fortunate recently to receive the International Environmental Leader in Golf Award from GCSAA and Golf Digest which meant a trip to San Diego for the ceremony.

We bring over our Superintendents every second year to the GCSAA show.  Following the New Orleans show last year we got to tour Farmlinks, Shoal Creek, Riviera and Cypress Point.  Following the show this year I got to visit Torrey Pines, Rancho Santa Fe and Fairbanks Ranch CC.  Next year in Orlando, I hope to take the guys to Augusta, Sawgrass, Seminole and one other in Florida. 

Chris Shaida

« Reply #530 on: March 05, 2010, 07:09:50 AM »
Name:         Chris Shaida
Status:         Married (21 years), 16 year old daughter and 14 year old son
Residence:    Dobbs Ferry, NY
Profession:    run a mid-sized (100 professionals) management consultancy
HCP:            10

I have been lurking for over a year and have enjoyed my visits--even (especially?) the occasional hijinks and fireworks!--and have learned a lot from the site.  I am relatively new to golf (I'll celebrate the 10 year anniversary of my first round of golf this summer--it was on a 9-hole, uh, fantastically un-architected 'course' ('whaddya say we put the green over HERE' 'uh, ok, then lower the blade on that mower and push it on over'  on Shelter Island called Goat Hill).  Like a lot others late-to-golf (I'm nearing 50) I do an inordinate amount of reading about golf--likely because I know that I'll never be all that good at playing it?

I'm a member of Ardsley CC (W Dunn, Tucker, Ross, MacKenzie, RTJ, whew!) and of Spanish Peaks (just Weiskopf).  I found GCA in the course of doing some decidedly amateur and informal digging into the Ardsley course history (the first 9 was completed in 1895 and the full 18 a year later--no holes from which still exist).  That digging included going through old club minutes (actually in the attic!), visits to the local historical society and to the town and county the building departments as well as internet searches.  We now think we have a pretty good idea about the layouts from each of the above pairs of hands.  It seems quite likely that the Ross and MacKenzie 'designs' were the result of days (hours?) rather than weeks on site as we've yet to uncover any actual drawings in either Ross' or MacKenzie's hand.  In any case, the digging has been fun and I think it enriches my play (although not necessarily lowering my scores!).

Sadly, I have a rather deficient visual memory (maybe because I can't see all that well?) and I need to play a course 3 or 4 times before I can even remember the holes in proper sequence (which probably makes my opinion about many architectural features suspect from the get-go).  I haven't gotten around nearly as much as many of you on this site but of the courses I've played more than three or four times my favorites are Lahinch, Chechessee, Mountain Lake and Bayonne.  The most memorable course (and it will be all 'memories' now since it has been allowed to go fallow late last year) that I was fortunate to play a number of times was Pocantico, the private Rockefeller family course designed by Flynn--5700 yards, a dozen teeboxes and greens that yielded 18 holes, tiny greens, no fairway (so no roll)--a step back to a different era.  I also love Ardsley but as someone (here?) said 'members often think their home course best not because it is the best course they've played but because it's the course on which most of their best shots were made.'

I like walking and I like caddies.  I like that golf takes a good chunk of time.  I like having to pay close attention to the course, to the weather, to one's fellows as well as to one's game and I like that there is an irreducible element of chance and that nature intrudes from time to time.  I like that golf has little to do with certainty--that the increase in skill yields a higher probability--rather than the guarantee--of a better result.  I like thinking while playing but just wish that it lead more often to better 'doing'.  Ah well, maybe in the next life I can actually learn how to really play!

Now if only I could figure out how to imbed an image in a post I could post a bunch of old layouts I've found...

Martin Toal

« Reply #531 on: March 05, 2010, 07:25:29 AM »
Name:             Martin Toal
Residence:       Wokingham, Berkshire, UK
Profession:       Physician in Pharmaceutical Research and Development
Education:       Queens University, Belfast and various postgrad degrees
HCP:               8
Golf Club:        Bearwood Lakes Golf Club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/

Originally from Northern Ireland, Played golf at the same club as the young Darren Clarke, but medical school got in the way of playing as much as I would have liked. Moved to England in 1995, played at Silloth on Solway for a few years before moving down south nearer London.

In the pharmaceutical business, I get to travel to the US quite often, so have played in various areas. Favourite area is CA, San Diego in partic, but not a big fan of Torrey.

Also many frequent flier miles have enabled nice vacations in Caribbean, Asia and Australia where some nice golf has been played.

Favourite single course: Royal County Down (preferably on a half decent day).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:29:00 AM by Martin Toal »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #532 on: March 05, 2010, 07:36:22 AM »
Originally from Northern Ireland, Played golf at the same club as the young Darren Clarke, but medical school got in the way of playing as much as I would have liked. Moved to England in 1995, played at Silloth on Solway for a few years before moving down south nearer London.

Martin:

Did you ever play with Darren Clarke?

The closest I've played to Dungannon is Strabane and Omage. I suspect Dungannon is much better than those two?

Dónal.

Martin Toal

« Reply #533 on: March 05, 2010, 07:58:52 AM »

Martin:

Did you ever play with Darren Clarke?

The closest I've played to Dungannon is Strabane and Omage. I suspect Dungannon is much better than those two?

Dónal.

A few times. He was about 17 or 18 at the time, and often scored very low on the course. There was an eclectic competition played through the summer, best score on each hole over the 2 or 3 month period. First round, he had a gross 61, and after another couple of rounds was well down in the 50s. Big hitter back then.

Also played with him in a junior team match, versus Strabane. Most of us arrived never having seen the course. Darren arrived having played a practice round and measured key yardages on most of the holes. I guess that is why he does it for a living.

Oh, and the vast gulf in talent is also a factor.

Dungannon is a nice course, improved over the years and friendly place to play. I used to work in Omagh, but must confes I did not like the course. Strabane is somehwere in between. Newtonstewart is a nice course.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #534 on: March 05, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
Name:  Ross Tuddenham            
Residence: Edinburgh      
Profession: Civil Servant      
Education:  MA(hons) Economics, University of Edinburgh      
HCP: 7              
Golf Club:  Edinburgh Leisure (Braid Hills) , Melrose golf Club

Played golf since I was about 11 although did not play as often as I should have done at uni.  So far my favourite courses I have played are North Berwick and Silloth on Solway.  Most of the courses I have played are in the East Lothian region, not a bad one to pick, but with the noticeable exception being Muirfield.  I hope to rectify this soon.

I have always had an interest in the great courses of the world but not always from a golf course architecture point of view.  While googeling Pine Valley a few years back I found this site and started to think about course from a more design orientated point of view.  Before that I just searched top 100 lists and liked looking at photos of courses I would love to play.

If I could play any course in the world it would be a Mackenzie, probably Cypress Point.  A bit predictable but hey it looks amazing.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:39:36 PM by Ross Tuddenham »

Matt Elliott

« Reply #535 on: March 05, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
Name: Matt Elliott
Residence: Columbus, OH
Profession: Law Student at The Ohio State University
Education: BA Economics, The College of Wooster; MBA Finance, University of Akron,
HCP: 0
Golf Club: Brookside Golf & Country Club, The Ohio State Golf Club

I've been snooping around GCA for a couple of year but finally joined only a couple of months ago. I've always been a fan of great golf courses (who isn't), especially more traditional parkland style courses. Overall I've been pretty lucky with the great courses I've played, although there are a few near misses that I hope to rectify someday (including getting rained out in the parking lot at Seminole, rained out at PV) but I guess we probably all have those stories

Before starting law school I worked as an assistant at Caves Valley Golf Club (MD.) and The Everglades Club (FL). While the golf business really wasn't for me, I did get a chance to frequent some great places including Baltimore Country Club and Jupiter Hills. Thanks to a couple of the other assistants I really began to appreciate architecture and the unbelievable wealth of great courses around the country. Now that I'm back in Ohio, I've really come to realize how many great courses are nearby.

Predictably, my love of playing great golf courses has evolved into reading and talking about them as well. I look forward to continuing to learn about architecture and maybe even contribute some of my own insights.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #536 on: March 05, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »
Welcome, Matt.

Thanks for the post. 

GCAers, don't let this guy fool you, he's a good player and he played in the Mid-Am last year.  ;)

Brian Freeman

« Reply #537 on: March 05, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »
Name: Brian Freeman
Hometown: Johnson City, TN
Residence: Raleigh, NC
Profession: Corporate Finance @ Cisco Systems
Education: BS Univ. of Tennessee, MBA Wake Forest (Go Vols & Deacs)
HCP: 6
Low Round: 71 (2007)
Golf Club: Raleigh CC

Played golf since I was 6, competitively back in high school, but just recreationally since then.  Grew up exclusively as a muni golfer so over time my taste in courses has evolved significantly from "anything with greens that putt reasonably well".  I do consider myself very lucky to live in an area of the country with great golfing terrain within driving distance, from mountains, to the sandhills, to the coast.

My interest in course design traces back to sketching out courses with pen and paper back in the 5th grade - something my teacher at the time learned to tolerate as I think I was more persistent than she was.  Proud to say I developed a reasonable-sized following at the time as well.  If I ever hit the lottery my long-held plan for a portion of the winnings would be to build and manage a club in the mountains near my home town and another somewhere along the coast of the Carolinas.  Hey, a guy can dream.

Originally stumbled upon the site while doing research for a trip to Scotland in June 2010. (Thanks Kyle Henderson for the pictorials)  Played at Dornoch, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, North Berwick, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, and the New and Jubilee at St. Andrews (unfortunately no Old Course as we missed the cut-off for the 2010 Open).  Links golf was everything I ever imagined it to be and more.  Those of you in the UK, consider yourselves lucky to have convenient access to those courses.

Updated: 1/4/11 - getting everything current
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:53:48 PM by Brian Freeman »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #538 on: March 05, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
Brian:
How are the courses in Raleigh right now?  Thinking about heading down there in two weeks.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »
Carl:

It's not been the best of winters down here for golf courses, very wet and colder than normal.  I've barely been able to play since November with a couple of brief breaks in the weather.  Going to be getting out for 36 this weekend so I'll be a better judge in 2 days, but expect soggy conditions.  Definitely looking forward for the next couple of months to pass so the bermuda can start coming back into form.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2010, 04:44:01 PM »
I never thought I’d do this after all these years, but……

Doug Sobieski
Married (17 years), 13 year old daughter
Reside: Dublin, OH
Hometown: Brighton, MI
Profession: Technology Finance (the same thing Ran Morrissett does, although his version of it includes MUCH more golf)
Education: Stetson University (’89, Finance), Deland, FL
Home Course: Ballyneal
Handicap: No idea, probably 2 or so these days   

I started lurking here within a few months of the creation of GolfClubAtlas in December 1999, shortly after I got out of the golf business. Some history……

Grew up playing what had been a “company” course in Brighton, Michigan called Burroughs Farms (owned by the Burroughs Corporation). My parents didn’t play, so it was my own initiative. As with many on here, architecture was a major focus even as a teenager.

Eventually went to school in Florida, but the newly acquired pastime of beer drinking supplanted golf as a priority, so I played very little during my last 2.5 years in school (aside from in the summer). After graduation, moved to Orlando where my first job was at the Bay Hill Club (started in October 1989), eventually gaining PGA Membership in 1993. In 1997 Palmer Course Design built a course next door to Muirfield Village (Tartan Fields Golf Club) and Mr. Palmer helped me secure the Director of Golf job there. After two years, I realized that the golf business at a club would always be like the movie Groundhog Day. A couple members took me under their wings and taught me the ropes of my current profession.

Despite being out of golf for 11 years, I still maintain my PGA membership, although I may finally throw in the towel. It’s too tough to stay up to date on membership requirements when you aren’t in the business. I play very little golf around my home. Most of my annual rounds are at Ballyneal, which I believe is the most fun one can have playing golf. Like Jim Colton and other members, I'm always eager to share the club with others in any way I can.

My 13 year old daughter has finally taken up the game (less than a year ago), so I think I may finally have to join a local club to give her some access to play. It is a joy to see how quickly she has taken to it. She shot 43 in a middle school match last fall after having played the game for only 2.5 months. I'm beaming with pride and ready to take her to Ballyneal this summer ;D

Dave McCollum

« Reply #541 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I just read the entire “Who are you guys?” thread.  The entire 10 freaking years.  I’m so exhausted and read so many stories; I can’t remember who I am.  Since some folks have asked about my course lately, I’ll do a post, just not tonight, and certainly not before I find a drink.

I must have passed by this thread 100 times, saw it was 16 pages, and passed.  I lurked for a couple of years and have been on board for a couple more.  Brain-dead as I am, I have two observations:  you were funnier in the old days, at least when lying about yourselves; and, I had no idea before today what a world-class bunch of lunatics you are.  I’ve got to get out to an outing and see this pack in action

Shane Wright

« Reply #542 on: March 09, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
I just read the entire “Who are you guys?” thread.  The entire 10 freaking years.  I’m so exhausted and read so many stories; I can’t remember who I am.  Since some folks have asked about my course lately, I’ll do a post, just not tonight, and certainly not before I find a drink.

I must have passed by this thread 100 times, saw it was 16 pages, and passed.  I lurked for a couple of years and have been on board for a couple more.  Brain-dead as I am, I have two observations:  you were funnier in the old days, at least when lying about yourselves; and, I had no idea before today what a world-class bunch of lunatics you are.  I’ve got to get out to an outing and see this pack in action

I just physically laughed out loud reading your post.  NICE

Carl Nichols

« Reply #543 on: March 09, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »
Dave:
I think there's probably an even older thread for you, since this one is "(revisited)."

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #544 on: March 10, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »
Martin, it is nice to see someone originally from Northern Ireland on here. I am from Newcastle and play out of the Mourne over RCD. I will hopefully head to Queens next year to study Law. What is Bearwood lakes like as a course? Have you got a look at Loch Erne yet?

PThomas

« Reply #545 on: March 10, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »

I just physically laughed out loud reading your post.  NICE

maybe it should be required reading for all newbies...

or better yet they have to buy a drink for any GCAers they meet for their first year.. ;)
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Drew Standley

« Reply #546 on: March 10, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »
I don't know if I've done this yet so here goes...

Drew Standley
35/M
Married for almost 10 years
2 Daughters ages 5 & 3

Houston, TX

Friend of Eric Clapton Jack Crisham

I play out of several private Houston clubs that I have been able to achieve Full Voting Guest status at, otherwise I like to walk Memorial Park GC on Friday mornings.  I just booked my first lesson with Marty Fleckman to try to get this handicap into the plus side as well as kick some ass on the amateur circuit around the state.  American Girl dolls scare me.  I like Whispering Pines and agree that it's the best course in Texas just like the Dallas Morning News list states this year.  I make a yearly trip to Kansas with some good friends to play Prairie Dunes and Flint Hills.  Prairie Dunes is my favorite course though my experience with the top courses in America is limited.  I also make a yearly trip to New Orleans to have a Friday lunch at Galatoire's. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #547 on: March 10, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »
If there is ever a newbie v. Old School match I am doing everything I can to play for the newbies.  A lot of good players.  I look forward to your insight.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #548 on: March 10, 2010, 11:37:50 PM »
Dave McCollum
Job:  Owner/operator Canyon Springs GC, public 18-holer in Twin Falls, Idaho
Family: Married, but live in houses 90 miles apart (good for golf); 2 kids
Hobby:  see job, otherwise note I am posting here
Handicap: see age, otherwise 10-12
Education: Harvard ‘71
Found CGA:  Researching a trip to Scotland in ’05-06; signed up 2/08
Reason for sticking around:  The chance to listen to 1,500 of the most passionate, educated, enlightened, opinionated, dedicated, and sometimes entertaining golfers on the planet.  In other words, total golf whack-jobs.

That’s it.  The usual long-winded BS follows.  I recommend you skip the rest.  If you choose to go on, pardon the typos; I’m an old guy.

But first, a little business:  Carl Nichols—I read the old bios too.  I read them all in one sitting until I was cross-eyed and begging for whisky.

I can’t remember what I said to Ran to be included in the DG, but I keep expecting a digital tap on the shoulder telling me I’m being kicked out of the tree house because I post so rarely.  Usually, by the time I get around to reading a thread, there isn’t much left to be said.  I’ve been a bit more active this winter, Ran, so chill out, please.

The first time I posted, I got trashed for an off-hand comment.  It was some OT thread about slow play as I recall.  I said when I play as a two-some and run into a packed course ahead, we drop another ball, double the bet, and solve the problem by doing what we love best—play more golf.  Still seems reasonable to me.  I chose not to argue on.  Everyone has one…a**hole or opinion.

Mostly, I generally only comment here from the perspective of the average Joe golfer, a creature I know well and one, I am sorry to say, doesn’t know or much care about architecture.  However, in my own way, I’m a closet fanatic without anybody to talk to about my addiction.  Like the rest of you lunatics, I have a few yards of well thumbed books, do read this site and many others fairly regularly, and try to play interesting courses when I travel. 

I won’t bore you with a list of courses played.  It would be unimpressive in this crowd or just the usual suspects in Scotland and the West.  Ireland is always on the wish list, but I haven’t got there yet.  I don’t get East much.

I discovered golf late in life, despite having a course in the family.  (I’ll do a profile on my course later.)  I’ve always been something of a sportsman.  I played every sport as a kid and even a little football in college at Harvard (insert joke here).  I helped my father a bit with this course after college.  The second time I ever played golf a couple of weeks before this course opened, I had to take some academic freeloader on a tour and made a hole-in-one.  Made a 13 on the next because I was laughing so hard.  Basically, I played the annual round of golf for the next 25 years.  Sure, it was fun.  Frankly, I concluded that if I got into golf, given my competitive nature, I’d want to get good at it.  I looked around and quickly realized that good golfers play a lot of golf.  I didn’t think I had that kind of free time to devote to the game.

Spent the next 20-some years based in LA making print ads and TV commercials, having kids, and such nonsense.  We did location work, which meant working all over the world.  During one break in the action, for example, I examined my passport and discovered I had worked in 55 countries during a 5 year span.  Another life, but probably explains why I don’t travel much now.

My interest in architecture evolved as intellectual rationalization for my addiction to this silly game.  Even though I waited to start playing some golf until I thought I was too old to ever be any good, and therefore wouldn’t blow 20 hours a week trying to get good, it didn’t work.  Hopelessly hooked from the start, although I got the first part right:  I stink.

The more I read about good architecture and looked at good golf courses, the more I realized what a good site we have here at Canyon Springs.  This got me thinking about what we could do to improve it.  I call it the insane George Crump fantasy.  Take a perfectly good, affordable little golf course, blow the family fortune, suck money out of all the investors you can round up, build something wonderful, and then probably shoot myself like good old George.

No, I’m just a tad more practical than that.  I’ve got Scottish blood in my cheapskate veins.  The simple fact of the matter is that golf courses have to be maintained and they age like the rest of us.  Out here in the arid West, that means when your irrigation system gets so old that it costs more to fix it than it would to make payments on an upgrade, you either fix it or shoot yourself anyway.  So it follows logically that if you are going to have to dig up your golf course, what better time to blow a lot more dough and add some really cool features?

That is the long form version of how I became a minimalist.  Sorry.

Oh, one last thing for all the new kids on this site:  I know a minor cyber celebrity who loves golf, my youngest son.  He stinks too.  But while he was in college he got together with some of his pals and designed a website.  They called it Facebook.  Don’t have to worry too much about him these days.

Still waiting for the next hole-in-one.

Jason Topp

« Reply #549 on: March 11, 2010, 12:27:58 AM »
Dave:

You are too interesting for this board.  Post more.  I love opinions backed by interesting experiences.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:55:36 AM by Jason Topp »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back