News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Roger Wolfe

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #500 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
Name: Roger Wolfe
Married: Daughter born in 2000, Son born in 2005
Work: CCM and General Manager, Carolina Golf Club, Charlotte, NC
Course: Member at Mimosa Hills Golf & CC
Hcap: 8.7 (up from 3.5 - pre knee surgery, but down from 12.0 - post knee surgery)

Was a CPA for Deloitte in the DC area when a client cleaned house and wanted to hire
an outsider to run his golf course after his pro and other staff fleeced him pretty bad. 
That was Augustine Golf Club in Stafford, VA in the glory years (1997-2001). 
Quick stop as GM of Swan Point Yacht & CC on the Potomac in southern MD.  Been with
CGC since Nov 2004.  Its a wonderful club with wonderful members that occupies a very
unique niche in Charlotte.  I am lucky to have worked with Kris Spence on a full renovation
and construction of a practice facility.  Also worked with Bradley Klein and Michael Fay.

Love and live for golf.  Although my skills have deteriorated and my knees are shot I can still
play 54 a day.  I go on a lot of NC/VA trips but am lucky to be part of a group that
travels the country every May.  We have been to Scottsdale, Sawgrass, Pinehurst, Kohler,
Sea Island, Broadmoor, Kiawah.  Heading for the Kingsley Club this May thanks to wonderful tips
found on GCA.  I really enjoyed the 2009 Dixie Cup at Palmetto Club.

Something I do many times a year that continues to be my favorite "golf experience" is playing
Southern Pines, having a beer afterwards in the basement of the Elks club followed by drinks and
"old school" dining at the Pine Crest Inn.  It doesn't get any better than that and I don't think
it ever will (note I have never played in GB&I or traveled to Bandon).

John Shimony

« Reply #501 on: January 13, 2010, 12:35:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm 32 yrs old and from Philadelphia, PA.

My interest in course architecture has been with me for quite a while.  But that thirst had gone unquenched for lack of interested conversationalists among my golfing set as well as an ignorance of any scholarly sources.  But thanks to GolfClubAtlas and a couple its members from the Philadelphia area that is starting to change.  While in college I studied history and a few years back became interested in the history of Philadelphia area courses.  It's been intersting to see the greats of the golden age so closely connected to my hometown.  I'm also completely addicted to playing the game and head out to the course during the season a few times a week mostly as a single.  I just meet up with folks on the course.  Never once in all my days have I walked a course with anyone but friendly and accommodating men and women. 

I love this game.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #502 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
Wanted to use my first post to introduce myself, and also thank Ran and Ben for having me and running such a great site.

Name:  Andrew Lewis
Profession:  communications / public affairs for a diversified healthcare concern
Hometown:  Kalamazoo, MI
Current town:  Chicago, IL
Previous towns:  NYC, DC, LA
Clubs:  member at Kingsley Club; looking in Chicago

My wife comes from a golfing family and thus thankfully humors my addiction.  We made our first Bandon pilgrimage a couple weeks ago -- Jan in Oregon is pretty nice -- and evidently were in DG member Eric Olsen's presence.  She might even concede that it has been to her benefit -- I proposed on an ocean-side tee box during a sunset walk at Kapalua.

We moved to Chicago last fall, and I played Ravisloe a couple times on the rec's of this group, and also previously kicked around Jackson Park while attending college on the south side some years ago.  I'm otherwise new to golf in the area and would greatly appreciate thoughts and recommendations on Chicago's public and private scenes, beyond what I've found by searching the DG.

Regarding courses, I'd consider myself most familiar with Kingsley and the Course at Yale.  I also think the Old White at the Greenbrier may be the most fund course I've ever played.

I look forward to contributing when I have something relevant to share, and continuing to learn when I do not.

Best, Andrew

Mike Hogan

« Reply #503 on: January 17, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »
Name...Mike Hogan

Age...44

Home town.. Bagley, MN. Grew up in in Minneapolis.

Work...Forester for small County in Northern Minnesota.

Home course...Twin Pines golf course- 9 holer in Bagely where I live.

HCP...no official but around a 12.

Got into golf architecture in 1999 when i first played at Bandon Dunes. 

Favorite golf course played ..North Berwick, Follwed by Pac Dunes and TOC.

Favorite Hidden Gems..Wild Marsh, Buffalo Mn, Brora, Oak Ridge CC

Favorite Hole Played...The Redan North Berick

Course most interested in playing...Cypress, Old Macdonald.

I found this sight about a year ago and have been lurking since. Became interested in GCA around 2000 when I visited Bandon for the first time. I'm currently working as a forester but would love to get into GCA someday.
I'm happy to be a a part of this sight, reading everyones opinions and learnig everyday.

Mike

J_ Crisham

« Reply #504 on: January 17, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
Wanted to use my first post to introduce myself, and also thank Ran and Ben for having me and running such a great site.

Name:  Andrew Lewis
Profession:  communications / public affairs for a diversified healthcare concern
Hometown:  Kalamazoo, MI
Current town:  Chicago, IL
Previous towns:  NYC, DC, LA
Clubs:  member at Kingsley Club; looking in Chicago

My wife comes from a golfing family and thus thankfully humors my addiction.  We made our first Bandon pilgrimage a couple weeks ago -- Jan in Oregon is pretty nice -- and evidently were in DG member Eric Olsen's presence.  She might even concede that it has been to her benefit -- I proposed on an ocean-side tee box during a sunset walk at Kapalua.

We moved to Chicago last fall, and I played Ravisloe a couple times on the rec's of this group, and also previously kicked around Jackson Park while attending college on the south side some years ago.  I'm otherwise new to golf in the area and would greatly appreciate thoughts and recommendations on Chicago's public and private scenes, beyond what I've found by searching the DG.

Regarding courses, I'd consider myself most familiar with Kingsley and the Course at Yale.  I also think the Old White at the Greenbrier may be the most fund course I've ever played.

I look forward to contributing when I have something relevant to share, and continuing to learn when I do not.

Best, Andrew
Andrew,   Welcome to the site! We are having a GCA Chicago area dinner on Thursday Feb 25th at the Erie Cafe. You will have the chance to meet with a wide range of Chicagoans who play/belong to some of our area clubs. Great opportunity to answer questions regarding membership availabilities. Wish you well,  Jack

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #505 on: January 17, 2010, 03:35:26 PM »
Name: Tim Gavrich
Hometown: Avon, CT
Profession; none...I'm a Junior at Washington and Lee University (English major/Philo minor); I'm also the treasurer of my fraternity
Member: Pawleys Plantation G&CC; Pawleys Island, SC
Favorite courses: TOC, Sunningdale Old, Yale, Shelter Harbor, Palmetto GC

I've been on the site for approaching five years, I believe.  I've loved golf since I started playing at the age of 6, but being a member of GCA.com has really deepened my love of the game.  I'm glad Ran and Ben allowed me to join.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

David Royer

« Reply #506 on: January 17, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
Name: David Royer
Family:  Married, 3 daughters, 3 grandsons
Hcp: 6
Home Course: Brookside G&CC Columbus, Ohio (1927 Charles Lormes)
Occupation: County Adminstrator for Public Mental Health Services
Favorite Courses Played: Oakmont, Ballyneal, Doonbeg
Long time lurker, now newbie

I really started focusing on issues of design from reading the discussion board.  Has taken me to golf courses I would never had played, including Holsten Hills, Kirtland, Ballyneal, Bandon, Cabo etc. etc. I have already benefited far more than I 'll probably ever contribute.  Thanks to all for widening my world.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #507 on: January 17, 2010, 11:11:40 PM »
Name: Jaeger Kovich
Hometown: NYC
School: Just graduated from Hobart College in Geneva, NY (Architecture major/Studio Art minor)
Profession: Amateur golf architect / student / caddy / ice hockey coach / golf course whack job!
Work: Quaker Ridge Golf Club (grounds crew/caddy/architect/historian)
         Mungeam Cornish Golf Design (intern)
         Winged Foot, Ridgewood, Bethpage Black, Pelham, Powelton Club (Caddy)
         Southern Hills (future)
Earliest golf memory: getting kicked off my grandfathers development course when i was around 6

Top golfing experiences: golf trip to UK as graduation present
         first time I learned my design for Woodway CC short course/practice area would be built
         first day as an intern for MCGD
         Old Mac preview w/Doak followed by dinner with Doak, Urbina, Coore and Bahto
         completing study of Tillinghast design strategy

Intro to arch: designed a hypothetical 9-hole course on the campus of my high school (millbrook)

Found GCA: while working for Mungeam Cornish Golf Design thanks to Tim Gerrish (dont know why it took me so long to do this intro!)

I've been playing golf for about 9 years now. Got seriously into the game jr. year of highschool when i quit playing lax to join the golf team. Growing up in nyc, I was always in search of the best public courses in the metro area since there are none in manhattan. My sr. year in highschool my mom bought me Tom Fazio's book and i proposed designing a golf course on our campus for my senior project. Received honors on the project. Went on an internship "abroad" program in boston jr. year in college and begged my way into a job working at MCGD, and instantly fell in love with GCA.

Ever since (last 2 years): I have been posting here regularly. Read every book on gca i could get my hands on/afford! Traveled to England, Scotland, Bandon, Kiawah, and Pinehurst. Got to meet G. Hanse, B, Coore, J. Urbina, T. Doak, J. Bradley. Played over 100 different golf courses. Wrote a thesis on Tillinghast design. And have been begging my way onto every great course and writing to every golf architect I can think of looking for my next chance to make it as a gca!... which is why I am currently learning how to operate bulldozers and backhoes as well as learning chinese!

... I love this website and enjoy learning from the people on the site, so thanks!

Jake Straub

« Reply #508 on: January 18, 2010, 04:25:29 PM »
Name: Jake Straub
Hometown: Downingtown, PA
Profession: Sales/Consulting on Golf Courses and Agriculture
HCP: It use to be a 9 don't know anymore

I have lurked on this site for 10 years.  I have been involved in the golf course industry for 20 yrs. as a caddy, greenkeeper, intern, assistant superintendent.  Started working on the maintenance side of the industry during the final stages of construction and the opening of Stonewall.  From there interned and was an Assistant Super at Cherry Hills CC and finally ended up in the same role at Merion.  Really appreciate the architectural side more now because I don't have worrying about the turf surviving the day :).  Big fan of Flynn, Raynor, Ross, Wilson, and Doak just to name a few. 

I have been very lucky in the places I have seen and played, new found respect for golf and architecture after going to Bandon back in summer of 08.  Like to thank Ran and Ben for this site and the opportunity to join and learn from everyone involved here.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #509 on: January 18, 2010, 04:55:21 PM »
Name...Mike Hogan

Age...44

Home town.. Bagley, MN. Grew up in in Minneapolis.

Work...Forester for small County in Northern Minnesota.

Home course...Twin Pines golf course- 9 holer in Bagely where I live.

HCP...no official but around a 12.

Got into golf architecture in 1999 when i first played at Bandon Dunes. 

Favorite golf course played ..North Berwick, Follwed by Pac Dunes and TOC.

Favorite Hidden Gems..Wild Marsh, Buffalo Mn, Brora, Oak Ridge CC

Favorite Hole Played...The Redan North Berick

Course most interested in playing...Cypress, Old Macdonald.

I found this sight about a year ago and have been lurking since. Became interested in GCA around 2000 when I visited Bandon for the first time. I'm currently working as a forester but would love to get into GCA someday.
I'm happy to be a a part of this sight, reading everyones opinions and learnig everyday.

Mike

A fellow "Northern" Minnesotan! We'll have to get together sometime this summer to play. BTW, I live in Breezy Point about 20 minutes north of Brainerd.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #510 on: January 18, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »

A fellow "Northern" Minnesotan! We'll have to get together sometime this summer to play. BTW, I live in Breezy Point about 20 minutes north of Brainerd.

Wish I had known...played Breezy Point just this past August...

David Nelson

« Reply #511 on: January 18, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
Name: David Nelson
Home: Girvan nr Turnberry, Scotland
Hcp: 8
Home Course: Girvan
Work: Golf Course Development

I have been in the golf industry for 16 yrs mostly in construction. I have worked all over the UK & Europe and I have had the great opportunity to play some of the finest golf courses available.

I hope to be able to contribute to this site with pictorials of the golf courses I get the privilege of playing while on my travels and also hopefully getting the chance to meet and play golf with fellow GCA enthusiasts.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #512 on: January 18, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »
Name:             Ben Kodadek
Hometown:     Minneapolis, MN
Residence:      Tampa, FL
Home Course:  Feather Sound Country Club (Joe Lee design)
Profession:       Director of Sales for Chuck's Grinding (precision grinding for medical device manufacturers)
Education:       Universty of St. Thomas  (St. Paul, MN)
HCP:               Extremely volatile, usually between 3-6, more towards 7 since the wedding ;D

I moved to Tampa about 8 years ago after shoveling my front walk 3 times in one day.   Still frequent Minneapolis on a very regular basis for both work and pleasure.   Love living in FL and having a chance to play golf year round.  However, it's turned me pretty soft.

Grew up playing in junior programs at Minnetonka Country Club, as I got older, started playing baseball seriously and didn't have time for golf until after college.  I moved down here and was very interested in finding money games and playing on fast greens.  Over the years, I still love the fast greens, but don't enjoy the money games nearly as much. ;)   Much more interested in just playing golf these days.

I look forward to making it out to a GCA event in the near future as I've heard they are a blast.  I've had the good fortune to play with one GCA member, Jason Topp.  We played at his home course and he was a fine host.  If you can get it around in 3 hours and 15 minutes with time for a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout on the first tee and at the turn, you're just fine in my book.   

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #513 on: January 18, 2010, 06:24:14 PM »

Wish I had known...played Breezy Point just this past August...

Dang, me too. Well if you're every back up this way, let me know. BTW, where did you play when you were here?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #514 on: January 18, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
Profession:       Director of Sales for Chuck's Grinding (precision grinding for medical device manufacturers)
HCP:               Extremely volatile, usually between 3-6, more towards 7 since the wedding ;D

I moved to Tampa about 8 years ago after shoveling my front walk 3 times in one day.   Still frequent Minneapolis on a very regular basis for both work and pleasure.   Love living in FL and having a chance to play golf year round.  However, it's turned me pretty soft.

Grew up playing in junior programs at Minnetonka Country Club, as I got older, started playing baseball seriously and didn't have time for golf until after college.  I moved down here and was very interested in finding money games and playing on fast greens.  Over the years, I still love the fast greens, but don't enjoy the money games nearly as much. ;)   Much more interested in just playing golf these days.

I look forward to making it out to a GCA event in the near future as I've heard they are a blast.  I've had the good fortune to play with one GCA member, Jason Topp.  We played at his home course and he was a fine host.  If you can get it around in 3 hours and 15 minutes with time for a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout on the first tee and at the turn, you're just fine in my book.   

You must have been at UST about the same time as me. When did you graduate? What was your major? (I graduated in 01).

Shane Wright

« Reply #515 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
Ben - did you play baseball for the honorable Dennis Denning? - I have worked out with his teams a number of times.

Send me a note when you are back up in MPLS sometime...we'll get out and hit the links.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #516 on: January 19, 2010, 10:03:51 AM »

Dang, me too. Well if you're every back up this way, let me know. BTW, where did you play when you were here?

It was my 2nd visit to Minnesota for golf.  My first-ever press trip was 10 years ago up there, and this past August might have been my 60th, overall, give or take.

This past visit saw us at Whitebirch at BP, Deacons Lodge, Minikahda, and up in Bibawik at Giant's Ridge.  Poor weather and a late start in the day precluded a visit to Fortune Bay.  Here is my lifetime list of courses in Minny:

MINNESOTA---Deacon’s Lodge*, Giant’s Ridge—Legend, Giant’s Ridge—Quarry,* Grand National, Minikahda Club*, Superior National*, Sugarbrooke, The Classic*, The Legacy, The Pines, The Preserve*, Whitebirch, The Wilds.

Phil McDade

« Reply #517 on: January 19, 2010, 02:49:29 PM »

You must have been at UST about the same time as me. When did you graduate? What was your major? (I graduated in 01).

That's it; I now have to quit the site. It's bad enough I'm the lone alum on this board from the considerably superior academic institution a half-mile down Summit Avenue (that would be to the east...). Now I have to share space with a couple of Tommies. What has GCA come to? ;)

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #518 on: January 19, 2010, 04:21:54 PM »
Phil,

Did you enjoy your experience at St. Catherine's? ;D

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #519 on: January 19, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
Brad Wilbur
Home course:  DragonRidge in Henderson, NV  (Call if you're in Vegas.  DragonRidge is a Morrrish-Druzisky design in the foothills of the
     city
Handicap:  9-13, depending on how many drives wind up on grass
Greatest golf moment:   I think I beat Curt Byrum in the South Dakota High School State Golf Tourney.  It obviously was a while ago, and in Curt's behalf, I think he was a freshman, and I was a senior.  The only thing I remember was us rolling our eyes at each other as two guys from the BIG high schools argued about whether one of them had tamped down a spike mark.  Fortunately for Curt, he got a lot better, but I didn't.

Like others not in the industry, this site has been a great way to learn more about golf architecture.  Thanks to all.

JLahrman

« Reply #520 on: January 24, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »
Thought I'd repost since almost everything about me has changed since I originally posted on this thread back in 2003:

Joel Lahrman

Occupation:  Working for a brand consultancy, living in Piedmont (Oakland) CA, work in San Francisco.

Handicap: Index is listed as 8.9, but that's based mostly on rounds from 2008.  After six rounds last year, I have so much rust it would take a miracle for me to play a 9 right now.  Planning a comeback for 2010 - newly minted NCGA member!

Home Course:  Metropolitan and Monarch Bay.

Married, no kids, 2 dogs.  Kids can't possibly require more work, time, or money than these two mutts, can they?

Favorite course:  Camargo

Wish list:  To find a way to play more golf.  40 rounds a year would be a dream for me, jealous of those for whom it's an off year.

I grew up in Cincinnati and had the good fortune to work in the bag shop at Camargo (also worked at Scioto while I was an undergrad at the Ohio State University).  Back in 2003 a friend of mine wanted to know more about Camargo.  I did a search to see if I could find any images and came upon Ran's writeup.  I got hooked reading the course profiles, eventually moseyed over to the forum.  I still read much more than I post.  I've had the pleasure to meet only a few GCAers over the years, but would like to meet more since the ones I've met have been great company.

Other interests:  After 20 years of basketball I have switched to tennis.  Easier to find one person than nine, and fewer dislocated fingers and sprained ankles.  I play to about a 3.5 but don't practice this sport enough either.  I am a mediocre guitar and banjo player.  I also enjoy volunteering at my local animal shelter and learning principles of dog training.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:44:31 PM by JLahrman »

Jim Haley

« Reply #521 on: January 24, 2010, 08:34:19 PM »

Name; Jim Haley
 Occupation; Golf Course Construction
Married for 23 years to Barb, 2 daughters, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #522 on: January 24, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Joined a few months ago but haven't done this yet so here it is...

Ryan Admussen
Engaged
Home Course: Sundre last year, moving to Innisfail this year
Handicap: 14ish
Favorite Courses Played: Banff, Jasper, Wolf Creek(AB), All 3(soon to be 4) at Bandon, Rustic Canyon, Barona Creek, Paiute Wolf
Planned for 2010: Have rounds in Pinehurst, Kiawah, Atlanta planned for my first east coast trip in April, and a return trip to Bandon in November to see Old Mac.

I haven't contributed much so far, just enjoying taking in all the information and knowledge available on this great site!

Joe McCormac

« Reply #523 on: January 31, 2010, 04:23:33 PM »
Joe McCormac
St. Louis, MO
32, married 3 young children

Found this site a few years ago, joined last year.  Grew up caddying and began admiring good golf course architecture when I was able to play St. Louis Country Club on Mondays.  Heading to Bandon for the first time in April and just acquired the Confidential Guide.  These seem like site prerequisites.   :)  Been fortunate to play Old Warson Country Club a number of times and feel some of the RTJ critics would do well to see this course.

Really enjoy the conversation, thanks to all.

Joe

Jason Elwell

« Reply #524 on: March 04, 2010, 03:23:32 PM »
Name: Jason Elwell
Married, 9 month old daughter
Work: Engineer
Home: Huntsville, AL
Home Course: The Ledges of Huntsville

Started coming here just a couple of weeks ago after searching online for information about ANGC. I've been lucky enough to attend the Masters twice, and am absolutely enthralled by the course, the spectacle, and everything about it. In digging for information about ANGC, I seem to have discovered I'm a golf architecture nut. I love doodling imaginary routing when I'm bored, and would love to build a course of my own someday. I've only been playing about 5 years, but hopefully I'm young enough that I can really improve in the next few years. I really look forward to learning more and reading everyone's opinions. Thanks for having me!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back