News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan Fleisher

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #475 on: July 10, 2009, 09:00:48 AM »
Jonathan,

Welcome as well from another NE Ohio GCA guy!  Give me a shout and let's try and get out together and play.  I'm up in Strongsville and play most weekends.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jamie Barber

« Reply #476 on: July 10, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »
Jamie Barber
Sandwich, Kent, UK
hcp: 6.0

Member at:
Prince's Golf Club

Favourite course played:
Royal County Down

Courses I would really like to play (+ are likely to get a chance to!):
Cruden Bay
Dornoch
Islay
Harlech
Goswick
Portrush

Dale Jackson

« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2009, 10:32:47 AM »
Well, I have been lurking and then posting for quite a while but here goes officially.

Dale Jackson
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
hcp: 6.0

Semi Retired Management Consultant
Rules Official
budding author (researching and writing RCGC 100 year history)
rater for one of the magazines that is regularly trashed on this site

Member at:
Royal Colwood Golf Club

Favourite courses played:

Royal County Down
TOC
Royal Dornoch
Royal Portrush
Royal Aberdeen
Machrahanish
Deal

Bandon trio
Riviera
Monterey Peninsula CC
Stone Eagle
Hamilton G & CC
Pebble Beach - especially #8
Kapalua, Plantation

Next Up (some hopefully, others for sure)

Cruden Bay
Rye
Westward Ho!

NGLA
St Georges
Cypress Point
PV
Tobacco Road
Yale
Old Macdonald

Royal Melbourne
Barnbougle Dunes

so many .. so little time
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Mike Benham

« Reply #478 on: October 03, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »

Bump ...

Ps:  my have times changed ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Scott Warren

« Reply #479 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
Belated welcome Dale. Man with good tastes in courses, I see!

Bill Hyde

« Reply #480 on: October 03, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »
Bill Hyde
Hometown: Cazenovia, NY
Current roost: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Family: 2 boys, (one golfer, one hockey player), Wife who's a 16 hcp.
Hcp: 2
Club: CC of Detroit

A few of my favorite courses (played) in no particular order:

Garden City
Seminole
Baltusrol
Oak Hill
Monroe GC
Yale
Kirtland
Scioto
CC of Buffalo
Five Farms
Seven Oaks
Thendara
Crag Burn (former member)
Franklin Hills
CC of Detroit
Belvedere
Rustic Canyon
Misquamicut
Bellevue
Onondaga
Teugega

GCA is a great place to learn how much I have to learn about architecture...reading profusely as we have a big greens project coming up and I want CCD to be remembered as "a good client."

Michael Huber

« Reply #481 on: October 04, 2009, 10:51:36 PM »
Michael Huber
Home: Pittsburgh, PA

I started to really play a whole lot of golf about four years ago after growing up a baseball guy.  Almost immeadately I started to wonder what makes a good golf course good and what makes a bad course bad, especially after paying lots of money to play courses that I did not like and paying a little bit of money for courses that were fun. 

If I know anything about golf courses, I suppose it would be about public courses in Pittsburgh and Philly.  In my opinion, the public golf in both cities reflect the general mentality and attitude of the city itself.  My list of courses played is extremely modest, but that does not bother me in the least bit.  I'll enjoy golf on lousy courses and great course alike.

Its good to be here.

Emil Weber

« Reply #482 on: October 04, 2009, 11:55:12 PM »
Emil Weber
Home: Frankfurt, Germany

My whole family started playing golf after a rainy trip to Ireland in 1999, and since then we are all passionate golfers, the "worst" handicap in the family being 12. Somehow I always had a special interest in courses, as I started drawing golf courses with 10 or 11. What got me interested in design were the different bunker styles I noticed. I thought the more beautiful the bunkers, the better the course ;D.
Luckily, that perception of courses changed when my mum got me Geoff Shackelfords Grounds for Golf for my 14th birthday, and I realized golf courses go deeper than their beauty. I started lurking on GCA.com with 15, and have since read almost all the courses reviews, "the anatomy of a golf course" by Tom Doak, the 2008 "world atlas of golf", and, not to forget, GCA.com's discussion group.

I'm a lucky kid that my parents like to both travel and play golf, so whenever we go somewhere, golf is always on the list!

GCA.com is great!

George Pazin

« Reply #483 on: October 06, 2009, 03:44:28 PM »
Michael Huber
Home: Pittsburgh, PA

I started to really play a whole lot of golf about four years ago after growing up a baseball guy.  Almost immeadately I started to wonder what makes a good golf course good and what makes a bad course bad, especially after paying lots of money to play courses that I did not like and paying a little bit of money for courses that were fun. 

If I know anything about golf courses, I suppose it would be about public courses in Pittsburgh and Philly.  In my opinion, the public golf in both cities reflect the general mentality and attitude of the city itself.  My list of courses played is extremely modest, but that does not bother me in the least bit.  I'll enjoy golf on lousy courses and great course alike.

Its good to be here.

Welcome, Michael, nice to have another Burgh guy on here, and I like your thoughts about Pittsburgh and Philly public golf, I had not really looked at it that way before.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #484 on: October 06, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
"It even answered the old question: "Who is Dr. Katz"

Jim Kennedy:

Really? I looked for it where you said but I couldn't find it. Who is Dr. Katz? I always assumed he was some peripatetic, Germanic, quack, licenseless duncemeister doctor who happened on here years ago while surfing the Internet with no particular purpose in mind. Is he actually someone other than that?

Eric Smith

« Reply #485 on: October 06, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
"It even answered the old question: "Who is Dr. Katz"

Jim Kennedy:

Really? I looked for it where you said but I couldn't find it. Who is Dr. Katz? I always assumed he was some peripatetic, Germanic, quack, licenseless duncemeister doctor who happened on here years ago while surfing the Internet with no particular purpose in mind. Is he actually someone other than that?

posted February 05, 2000 11:41 AM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Tom Paul and Mike Cirba
Please be reassured. Three of the fundamental tenets I live by:

1. The Hippocratic Oath.
2. Discretion and confidentiality.
3. Restraint and moderation.

Also, my practice is restricted to Emergency Psychiatry. I appear only when all other options are exhausted.

Tom Egan (aka Dr. Katz)

Tony Weiler

« Reply #486 on: October 06, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
Tony Weiler, 39
Long Time Lurker, New Member
Hometown: Bismarck, ND
Family: 3 kids
Hcp: 3
Course: Riverwood, and Hawktree

My favorites that I've played:

Torrey Pines (South)
Hazeltine National
Interlachen
We Ko Pa (Saguaro)
We Ko Pa (Cholla)
Hawktree
The Links of ND
Bully Pulpit
Old Works
Pelican Hill (South)
Sutton Bay
Deacon's Lodge
Coer D'Alene CC
Vista Verde
Eagle Bend
Prairie Green
TPC Scottsdale

I always enjoy learning about golf, and GCA is great for that.  Thanks.

Martin Toal

« Reply #487 on: October 07, 2009, 02:36:54 AM »
Martin Toal, 45
Live in Wokingham, Berkshire, UK
Physician working in hemato-oncology R&D in the biotech industry
Married, 1 son with another son/daughter due later this month
8 handicap
Member at Bearwood Lakes, Wokingham

Past favourite courses:

UK and Ireland:
Royal County Down
Silloth on Solway (former member)
Ballyliffin Old
Murvagh
Royal Dublin

Overseas:
Green Monkey, Barbados
Eldorado, Cabo (pre-redesign)
Monte Rei, Portugal
Maderas, CA
Pinehills, MA
Pine Hill, NJ
Stewart Creek, AB, Canada

TEPaul

« Reply #488 on: October 07, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
Eric Smith:

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I forgot that.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #489 on: October 09, 2009, 06:13:58 AM »
Name: Dónal Ó Ceallaigh
Married: Two sons and one daughter.
Work: Work in telecomms.
Course: Bro-Bĺlsta GK, Sweden (Peter Nordwall designed).
HCAP: 5.9

Favourite Courses:

Ballybunion
Lahinch
Rosapenna(Old)
Silloth
Formby
Royal Lytham & St. Annes
Royal Hague
UGC de Pan
Noordwijk
Dunfanaghy

Started playing in Gweedore in Donegal (Ireland) when I was about 9 years of age.

I was interested in golf architecture from a young age. Made a couple of pitch-and-putt courses, one in my uncle's field, and one at the back of my parent's house. I was always drawing and sketching course layouts.

My first real exposure to a course designed by a recognised architect was Rosapenna (Old Tom Morris). Although I did not know at the time who had designed the course, I was so amazed with the shaping of the bunkers on the first hole, I knew it must have been a professional architect. I had played courses like Donegal, Dunfanagy, Narin & Portnoo, but Rosapenna (OTM) was clearly on a different level. The layout of the course displayed in the Hotel credited the design to Old Tom Morris, Harry Vardon and James Braid, but it wasn't until many years later that I discovered that it was Harry Colt that was responsible for the layout that existed at that time.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 02:40:57 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

George Pazin

« Reply #490 on: January 07, 2010, 02:22:38 PM »
bumping for the newbies, at Paul's request.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mac Plumart

« Reply #491 on: January 07, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »
Name...Mac Plumart
Age...37
Married with two kids (7 and 5 years old girl and boy)
Work...co-founder and EVP of an asset management company
Home course...St. Ives in the northen Atlanta 'burbs
HCP...11.6 (but will be falling like a stone in 2010!!!)

Started playing later summer 2007.  Got into golf architecture about a year later...along with golf history.  Started a goofy website...www.mrpgolf.com...as I spend most night reading and studying about golf, so I figured I would post my random thoughts for others to read.  My hopes were I would find a few golf enthusiats/nuts/maniacs/geeks like myself...and I have. 

Favorite golf course played to date...Kiawah Ocean; followed closely by Pete Dye Golf Club of WV, Seaside at Sea Island, Cuscowilla, and Inverness.

Favorite Hidden Gems...CC of Columbus, Achasta, Longshadow, and Lookout Mountain

Favorite Hole Played...18 at Inverness

Course most interested in playing...The Old Course at St. Andrews and National Golf Links...both should be played by spring of 2011.  Hopefully, these will be courses I will have the opportunity to play multiple times and study in-depth.

Looking to join a national golf club in the next 12 to 18 months...Inverness is currently in the lead!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #492 on: January 07, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
Name:  Kevin Cahoon
Married no kids large dog
Work:  Wine Sales for a Small Importer mostly European wines
Home Course:  Flossmoor Country Club
HCP:    5.6

Started at age of 26 with a group of bar buddies. I have developed the addiction. I play about 100 rounds per year. Really started looking into the history and architecture with my first trip to Scotland in 2004.

Favorite Courses:  Prairie Dunes, Muirfield, Shoreacres

Most Unique Golfing Moment:  Playing at Loch Lomond which is the home of the Cahoon clan. It was exciting looking at the ruins of the castle behind the 18th.

2010 Plans:  Flossmoor CC trip for a return match with Royal Cinque Ports

John Mayhugh

« Reply #493 on: January 07, 2010, 11:07:18 PM »
2010 Plans:  Flossmoor CC trip for a return match with Royal Cinque Ports

What sort of handicap will you guys let Chaplin get away with?  ;D

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #494 on: January 07, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »
What should Mark's handicap be so I can put in my files?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #495 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »

Take whatever he tells you and divide it by two.  But only if you're interested in his handicap reflecting what you're likely to see from him during a match. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #496 on: January 07, 2010, 11:32:21 PM »
Name: Alex Miller
Student at University of California at San Diego
Grew up near Los Angeles, and not near the few good public options that are available
Home course: ?, an assortment of them
HCP: scratch, though I haven't been playing much recently

Started at age 8 thanks to PGA Tour golf, the 1996 pre-Tiger version. I played a few junior tournaments but mostly played because I enjoyed it. From a competitive standpoint, my greatest accomplishment is making it through local US Open qualifying, on my first and only attempt. I've doodled my own original designs since I was 10 and found this website last year and realized that what I'd been doing was a crude form of golf course architecture.

Highlights: Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes, Bandon Trails, Riviera, LACC North, Rustic Canyon, Lake Merced GC

In the next few years.... Pasatiempo, TOC, and many others!

Duncan Betts

« Reply #497 on: January 08, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »
Name: Duncan Betts
Single
Work: I'm essentially a cricketer, but time is running out for me to call it a 'profession'.  Otherwise, I'm studying engineering at University and have been for 11 years now!
Home course: Royal Queensland
HCP: 5.3

Favourite Course: Cape Kidnappers

I actually stumbled upon this website when googling cricket stuff of all things, had no idea there were so many people out there sho share my interest in Golf Courses.

Scott Warren

« Reply #498 on: January 13, 2010, 08:43:01 AM »

If the match is at Deal, as few as possible. Not more than 7! ;D

Davis Cranford

« Reply #499 on: January 13, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
Davis Cranford
Long time lurker, brand-newbie poster
Occupation: Caddie @ the Kiawah Island Club (Cassique & River Course)/ student at The College of Charleston
Residence: Charleston, SC
Hometown: Asheboro, NC
Home Courses: Mostly Cassique and The River Course, and Tot Hill Farm when I'm home  ;)
Found this site a couple of years ago and have lurked long enough.  Became interested in GCA by my home course Tot Hill Farm (Mike Strantz).  After dabbling in commercial roofing sales decided to return to school to finish my degree in International Business/Spanish then hopefully into Landscape Arch.  Was living on a course in Wilmington, NC while it was being redesigned (Masonboro CC) and finally decided that GCA was what I really wanted to do.  

I became a sponge for GCA reading anything and everything I can get my hands on, to the point of obssession.  Have applied for an internship for the summer with one of the best designers in the land (fingers crossed!) in hopes of learning more about architecture and getting started in a career in the business.  If anyone knows of more internship opportunities with designers, please let me know! (The more the better!) I'm currently doing anything I can to get into the GCA business, and I'm not afraid to grab a shovel!!!

I love reading everyones thoughts and opinions on this site and I'm very happy to be a part of it!

DC

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:20:02 PM by Davis Cranford »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back