News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bobby Kirkwood

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »
Bobby Kirkwood
Residence: Atlanta, Georgia
Married with 2 children
BS in Agriculture from Arkansas State University
Started playing golf at age of 6
Favorite course played: Cypress Point Club
Course I wish to play: TOC

During 20 years of golf course construction, I have certainly learned to appreciate the talents of the golf course architects.   
Bobby Kirkwood

Damon Groves

« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »
I guess I am a little late in introducing myself but better late than never....

Name: Damon Groves
Residence: Monrovia, California
Married with one girl.
BA in Economics from University of California at Santa Barbara
Started playing (beyond just goofing around) when I was 31
Home Course: Santa Anita in Arcadia, California
Favorite courses (in no particular order): The Bandon Dunes courses, Pasatiempo, Rustic Canyon, Santa Anita, Ballyneal, Los Angeles Country Club, We Ko Pa - Cholla, Ojai, Wild Horse, Kapalua Plantation

Just a golf course architecture junkie.

Cristian

« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
Cristian,

Did Jason Culina returning to play for an Australian club make any news in Holland?

It's a pretty big deal for our embryonic comp.  He's the first starting 11 National player to return to our league and especially important as he is just moving into his prime.

We'll have to get you to a Melbourne Victory game (I'm a member) when you make the (hopefully) inevitable trip to the sandbelt.  Maybe it could coincide with us hosting the world cup in 2018 or 2022.  (I'm allowed to dream - and it's not like Englan have ever done anything for the game)

It did make news, as he just managed to play himself back in the starting line-ups of dutch champions PSV (as a right back). I believe he is joining a new club; Gold Coast United, seems like the Competition and the sport are growing down under....

Nick Cauley

« Reply #453 on: January 31, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »
Nick Cauley
Residence: Ruston, Louisiana
Married with 1 girl, expecting one any day now
2 year Turfgrass Certificate from Penn State University
Bachelors of Arts from Louisiana Tech University
Favorite course played: Toss up between Ballyneal and Sandhills
Course I wish to play: Cypress Point GC

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:12:44 PM by Nick Cauley »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #454 on: January 31, 2009, 01:33:58 PM »
Here's the link to the original old-board thread:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/board/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/000687.html
for newbies wanting to know who we are (and oldbe's who want to check it out again).

For the newbies, there was a link that Scott Borroughs provided above, to an earlier introduction page from around 2000.  But, that link above doesn't work anylonger.  I tried "the way back machine"...

http://www.archive.org/index.php

But, only get the front thread pages with no link to the actual discussions:

http://web.archive.org/web/20001214205000/www.golfclubatlas.com/board/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=1&forum=Golf+Course+Architecture&DaysPrune=20&startpoint=50

Does anyone know how to open those 'way back' threads?  I think the original introduction page went for some 60 names or so... and I am even amazed just going back on this active thread to see the names of those NLE...  ::) ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #455 on: January 31, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
RJ,
This what you're looking for?

http://web.archive.org/web/20010726234108/www.golfclubatlas.com/board/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/000687.html

It even answered the old question: "Who is Dr. Katz"

Some of the pages don't load, but you can open a page and find a slew of "Pages 1...4 5 6 7 8 9 10" at the bottom of the screen that can lead to one of the non-working pages. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:50:17 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

RJ_Daley

« Reply #456 on: January 31, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »
Ah so, you so smart, I so stupid...  ;) ::) ;D ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #457 on: January 31, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »
Ran Morrissett
  posted February 03, 2000 06:44 PM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All around good guy, some say "one of golf's most loved figure." Live in Sydney, Australia. Married to an Aussie and we have a five month old daughter named MacKenzie  Handicap of six. Member in good standing at Newcastle GC, Stockton, Australia. 36 years old. Have been fortunate to play golf in several different parts of the world. 

The obvious value of this 'way back' thread is to clarify matters and set the record straight.  Ran was NOT "golf's most [be]loved figure" from the horses mouth! 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #458 on: January 31, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
Ted Sturges
  posted February 07, 2000 06:39 PM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
38 years old, and was happily married until the Morrissett brothers created this website (my wife is not pleased). Can't play a lick but was able to halve "golf's most beloved figure" in a heated match one morning last October at Shoreacres, and crushed the jet-lagged extrovert in the afternoon at Onwentsia.

It was in deed, Ted Sturges that mis-identified Ran, and then proceded to 'crush' him.  Who says we were a kinder and gentler lot back then?  ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #459 on: January 31, 2009, 02:13:21 PM »
RJ,
Ted Sturges, but back on Oct. 4th, 1999, in a thread entitled "What Round Are You Most Proud Of"

"To John Morrissett,I believe the accomplishment of hitting each fairway may have indeed occurred on this trip for Randolph.  I believe it occurred just before you arrived in Bridgman.  I will leave the "filling in of the details" to "one of golf's most beloved figures".TS"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:15:55 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

RJ_Daley

« Reply #460 on: January 31, 2009, 02:20:19 PM »
So, to recap...  ;) ::)

Ted did first label Ran, "one of golf's most beloved figures" in 1999, and Ran couldn't even get that right, thinking all the time by 2000, he was simply 'loved'? 

Michiel Teeling

« Reply #461 on: February 02, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »
Just an introduction, just joined GCA !!

Michiel Teeling
Utrecht, Netherlands

Favourite courses played worldwide:
Some of my favourite courses I played in and outside Europe:

Banff
Jasper Park
Pinnacle Point
Leopard Creek
Humewood
Tobiano
Chambers Bay
Haagsche
Noordwijk
Pan
Royal Zoute
Royal Golf Club de Belgique
Kennemer
Eichenheim
Castelconturbia

Courses I would really like to play:

Bandon
Tobacco Road
Ballyneal
Sand Hills
Ballybunion
RCD
NGLA
CPC
Royal Portrush
TOC
Cape Kidnappers
and the list goes on and on and.....

I love to read the threads and topics on GCA. Although I really need to learn more about golfarchitecture in general.

Jason Topp

« Reply #462 on: February 02, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »

I love to read the threads and topics on GCA. Although I really need to learn more about golfarchitecture in general.

Welcome Michiel

Terrific Primers for GCA -

Anatomy of a Golf Course - Tom Doak
Grounds for Golf - Geoff Shackelford

Both are generally available in Book Stores

There are many terrific resources on this site that provide a good background on GCA.  Here are three that I go back to regularly.

This George Bahto interview provides an excellent overview of many of the template holes you will see discussed repeatedly on this site:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewbahto.html

This In My Opninion from Tom Paul is about 10 years old and expresses a viewpoint that has been carried out with many of the highly regarded designs over the last 15 years or so:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionpaul.html

Finally - this piece by Jeremy Glenn describes his suggestions for altering the Old Course a bit to accomodate reverse play.  In the last couple of years the Links Trust has allowed such play on a couple of days in the spring although I do not think they have done the work Jeremy suggested.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionglenn3.html

Michiel Teeling

« Reply #463 on: February 02, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »

Welcome Michiel

Terrific Primers for GCA -

Anatomy of a Golf Course - Tom Doak
Grounds for Golf - Geoff Shackelford

Both are generally available in Book Stores

There are many terrific resources on this site that provide a good background on GCA.  Here are three that I go back to regularly.

This George Bahto interview provides an excellent overview of many of the template holes you will see discussed repeatedly on this site:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewbahto.html

This In My Opninion from Tom Paul is about 10 years old and expresses a viewpoint that has been carried out with many of the highly regarded designs over the last 15 years or so:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionpaul.html

Finally - this piece by Jeremy Glenn describes his suggestions for altering the Old Course a bit to accomodate reverse play.  In the last couple of years the Links Trust has allowed such play on a couple of days in the spring although I do not think they have done the work Jeremy suggested.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionglenn3.html

Thanks Jason!

I'll start reading those pretty soon! I started reading Anatomy of a Golf Course just a couple of days ago!

Richard Boult

« Reply #464 on: February 02, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »
Reintroducing myself...

When I originally signed up at GCA, I introduced myself (with my actual name) as the author of golfslo.com and contributed a review of my newly opened home course - Monarch Dunes Golf Club.

Later, I started a personal blog and changed my screen name to reflect it's name (Art Ful-ler), after which time, I also created the Photo Tour directory at delicious.com/golfclubatlas.

To avoid confusion, I just changed my screen name back to my real name, which I never should have changed in the first place.

Richard (aka Art Fuller)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #465 on: February 02, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »
I wondered what had happened to Richard, and why almost simultaneously Art appeared. I had chalked it up to grand coincidence until now.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Keenan

« Reply #466 on: February 02, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »
Richard aka Art

Will we see any updates to the Blog soon?

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Richard Boult

« Reply #467 on: February 02, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »
Richard aka Art

Will we see any updates to the Blog soon?

John

Sorry John, nothing "artful" to write about lately... what a slump I'm in!

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #468 on: February 05, 2009, 01:56:58 AM »
OK, my turn.

Hello everybody -- just thought it was time to add a post to this august old thread, finally. I've been lurking for some time, but it was a chance encounter with Pete Lavallee one morning at Rustic Canyon that finally got me to quit my (formerly) weasel-like behavior and actually join this group.

Thanks for having me, by the way -- I'll try to be at least marginally interesting, at least some of the time.

My home course is the aforementioned Rustic Canyon, which I do dearly love. I have not had the pleasure of playing with some of the other Rustic types who frequent the board, but I suspect I'll meet a few of you in the future.

I'm 45, own a small graphic design and advertising company in La Canada-Flintridge (which is just northwest of Pasadena for those of you who aren't Angelinos. Grew up in Baltimore, spent a few years in Houston back in my college days, and also lived in New York City for 7 years in the late eighties and early nineties. Been playing golf since my teens, and have somehow never figured it out. Playing to about a 13 these days. Mostly I'm hanging with my wife and eighteen-month-old son, so the golf tends to be pretty infrequent for the time being.

Some of my favorite courses:
Pacific Dunes
Bethpage Black
Pasatiempo
Riviera
Bandon Dunes
Rustic Canyon
Bandon Trails
Quaker Ridge
Talking Stick North
Bulle Rock

Things off the top of my head (other than golf) that make life a wonderful and interesting thing: Art of all kinds, but I would be remiss if I failed to mention Johannes Vermeer; Arches National Park; Raymond Chandler, especially The Long Goodbye; my son, Ky and wife, Deb; New York City; Exile on Main Street; Kilauea; baseball; Renoir's Grand Illusion; OK Computer; The Clash; Middlemarch; and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure would occur to me if I continued to sit here and become even more self-involved. I should probably add some kind of self-deprecating emoticon here, but I just can't bring myself to use the damned things!

Wow. Did I actually just write all that? Thanks for having me, everyone. I look forward to meeting many of you in the years to come.

All the best,
RW

Carl Nichols

« Reply #469 on: March 10, 2009, 07:28:52 AM »
Scott:
Welcome.  I played RTJ in October and the greens were the fastest I had ever played -- and they were pure too (just like the rest of the course).  Seems like you do a terrific job out there.

Carl,

Thank you for the kind post.  Who did you play with and was it your first time?  I don't know how to send a message to just you, sorry.   
[/quote]

Scott:
A good friend of mine is the GM of a club in Northern Virginia, and he's good friends with one of the Assistants at RTJ.  This was the second time I had played RTJ.
Carl

Sean Walsh

« Reply #470 on: March 28, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »
Bump,

For all the new additions in the last 2 months

Welcome

Carl Johnson

« Reply #471 on: March 30, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
Updated Oct. 2013.  I've been participating on the GCA site since early 2009.

Professionally: retired (since 2011) private practice specialty tax and federal administrative lawyer.  Age 71.

Where from: I'm originally from West Virginia, but my wife (who's from a Chicago suburb) and I have lived in Charlotte (North Carolina, U.S.A.) since 1969 following my graduation from Duke Law School (undergrad, Oberlin College in Ohio).  Two children, grown, live in New Canaan, CT, and Anchorage, AK.  

I've played golf earnestly, recreationally, for about 21 years and been a member of Carolina Golf Club (Ross, 1929, with 2008 renovation by Kris Spence) here in Charlotte since 1995.  Carolina GC is also my personal favorite course.

Other retirement hobby - leading tours as a volunteer docent at an art museum.

Prior to golf I was very active in road running/racing circles, local, state and national, my main "hobby" for more than 20 years, but at around age 50 I decided golf would be a better "old age" sport, and so it has turned out (though I still run for fitness), in many, many ways.  (Of course, golf's an "any age" sport, but I got in late.)

Current (Oct. 2013) HC Index: 21 point something.

I'm generally interested in all things golf, and architecture in particular.   I've learned a tremendous amount from GCA site participation, will continue to do so, and, I hope, contribute a little bit, too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:26:54 AM by Carl Johnson »

Matthew Runde

« Reply #472 on: April 22, 2009, 09:11:16 PM »
Glad I found this thread, and very glad I found GCA.  About me:

Matthew Runde
St. Petersburg, Florida
28 years old
Marketer/Web Designer/User Interface Designer
BA in Visual Arts, from Eckerd College

I like anything creative, and once I learned a little about golf course architecture, I became fascinated by it.  I've read Doak's Anatomy of a Golf Course, and I keep going back to it as I discover more of the world's famous holes.  Currently, I'm enjoying Thomas' designs.  I like the way in which he used massive bunkers to create options and make players think.

I want to gain some practical experience in course architecture, and I'm interested in working with an architectural firm as a marketer/Web designer/intern.  I contacted the ASGCA about possible opportunities, and they promised to put a notice in their April newsletter.  So far, I haven't heard from anybody (not surprising, considering the economy).  I'll get some experience, one way or another.

Golf is big in my family.  My father - despite being a Harvard grad - gained the approval of his future father-in-law only by beating him in a round of golf.  So, I may owe my existence to the game!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #473 on: July 09, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »
Every time I search for something, this page always shows up, so I've finally decided to post.

Long-time lurker, part-time poster....Thanks, Ran!

I found this site searching for pics of Crystal Downs.

Name: Jonathan Becker
Residence: Northeast Ohio
Education: BA Management/Marketing
Handicap:  +1.5
Favorite Course: Canton Brookside (sentimental favorite)
Favorite Golf Moments: making my first ace with Dad....playing Stone Eagle with two great friends and my brother
Lowest Round: Shot 64 at Shaker Run in 2003 with a tee ball o.b.

Top 10 favorite courses

Seminole, Merion, Oakmont, The Golf Club, Old Macdonald, Pacific Dunes, Kiawah Ocean, Oakand Hills South, Canton Brookside, TCCPP

I've never played off the continent except at Playa Grande in the D.R.  

Anyone that comes through Ohio, feel free to shoot me a pm to play.

Thanks,

Jonathan

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:00:38 AM by jonathan_becker »

Phil McDade

« Reply #474 on: July 09, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »
Jonathan:

Welcome to the board; I spent part of my early years up the road in Medina, and ran high school cross country on the Wooster CC course; always my favorite event of the fall season -- good turf to run on!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back