News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stu Grant

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #425 on: January 28, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »
Right back at you Charlie!

Curling is definitely an underrated sport, eh? 

For those out there who don't know much about it...if you make a point to watch it during the 2010 Olympics I think you'll be impressed.  There is a ton of strategy and once you've seen it a few times you can play armchair skip and try and figure out how the next rock should be played.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #426 on: January 28, 2009, 09:42:48 PM »

For those out there who don't know much about it...if you make a point to watch it during the 2010 Olympics I think you'll be impressed.  There is a ton of strategy and once you've seen it a few times you can play armchair skip and try and figure out how the next rock should be played.

I'll join your bonnspeill any time. Curling is arguably one of the most excruciating exercises for your hamstrings there is. Imagine trying to maintain balance on pebbled ice wearing teflon soles!

I got pretty good at curling the rock on to the button though.... I think I'd make a good Skip with some practice.

John Moore II

« Reply #427 on: January 28, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »

Cristian Willaert
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Married, two children

Favourite courses played worldwide:

Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Royal County Down
Ballybunion
Royal Dornoch
Royal St George's
Royal Lytham
Morfontaine
Walton Heath Old
Waterville
Alwoodley
Pasatiempo
Haagsche
Machrihanish
Fontainebleau
Noordwijk
Pan
Royal Zoute
Glasgow Gailes
Casa de Campo (teeth)
Kennemer

Top of wishlist:

NGLA
CPC
Bandon
Ballyneal
Sand Hills
Tobacco Road

I'd like to learn more about gca and courses I haven't played and hope to raise some awareness and interest in the quality of some lesser known courses in mainland europe. (This summer, or spring I hope to do some picture threads).

Whenever you decide to come play Tobacco Road, or just come to America, let me know. I'd be happy to give you the tour of the NC Sandhills. I know the best courses, the best places to eat, and the best places to see. Just say the time.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #428 on: January 28, 2009, 10:47:18 PM »

I'll join your bonnspeill any time. Curling is arguably one of the most excruciating exercises for your hamstrings there is. Imagine trying to maintain balance on pebbled ice wearing teflon soles!

I got pretty good at curling the rock on to the button though.... I think I'd make a good Skip with some practice.

I've never tried it, but curling jumped onto my radar screen during the last Olympics when I believe the US curling team had one or two people on it from Minnesota (Bemidji I believe, which is where my boss lives).

It seemed to require some of the same qualities that golf does, namely nerve and trust in oneself. Plus it was just looked cool.

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tim Bert

« Reply #429 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »

Your own Johann Cruyff(sic) was out at Pebble Beach last year and played with a GCA'er whose name escapes me. Now there was probably the best footballer ever.

Bob

Bob,

Nice try there, but this Frenchman has to disagree. :-)

Pele
Maradona
Zidane
Platini
Cruyff
Beckenbauer

in that order.

I was the lucky single that got paired with Mr. Cruyff on a beautiful spring afternoon in Monterey!  He was splendid company.  One has to wonder if you met one of the 5 greatest athletes in most other sports if they would be as down-to-earth and pleasant.  Of course it probably helped that I was clueless as to the identity of my company for most of the round, but I think the way of many modern athletes is to present themselves with a feeling of more self-importance.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2009, 12:28:47 PM »
Steve Salmen, St. John, IN
50 Married
4 Handicap
Home course: Innsbrook CC
Favorite courses: Muirfield, Royal Dornoch, and Royal County Down in UK, Shinnecock, Cypress, and Pinehurst in the US.

I fell in love with golf when I was 13.  If you find yourself in the Chicago or Northwest Indiana, please email me and maybe we can get a game together.
mur352@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 09:37:34 AM by Steve Salmen »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »
Wow, what a great new crop of rookies!  I hope you all enjoy the website, and even though many topics have been discussed often already by us old dogs, your new insights and fresh takes on issues will be enjoyed as you discover new concepts from your fellow GCAers. 

And curling is great fun, Stu.  It is way more strenuous than it looks.  It isn't the sliding and release of the stone that is the hardest, it is the sweeping!  For traditional communal enjoyment of drinks and food, I think it has the 19th hole beat.  ;) ;D 8)  I've had to give it up as my back and disc problems can't take the sweeping.  But, we have a great club here in G.B. on the frozen tundra.  Come visit sometime Stu.  Our Pres., is an ice making wizard and has made the ice at 2 Olympics so far. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott Furlong

« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »
Scott:
Welcome.  I played RTJ in October and the greens were the fastest I had ever played -- and they were pure too (just like the rest of the course).  Seems like you do a terrific job out there.
[/quote]

Carl,

Thank you for the kind post.  Who did you play with and was it your first time?  I don't know how to send a message to just you, sorry.   

Kalen Braley

« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »
Scott,

Just click on that green thingie of the name of the guy you want to send a message too!

<---------------------

Matt Day

« Reply #434 on: January 29, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »
Matthew Day
Perth, Western Australia
Age 38, married with 2 kids
Home Club - Joondalup Country Club, handicap 11. Joondalup is a Trent Jones Jr course that people seem to either love or hate
Occupation - Golf Course Manager (36 hole public)
Favourite Football Team (soccer) - West Ham United
Favourit Band - the mighty Iron Maiden  :D

Always wanted to be a architect but like many, many people probably thought it was a lot easier than it really is. Being involved in golf course management has increased my exposure to architecture, and excellent forums like this also assist greatly.

Have played a fair few australian courses (favourite so far Kingston Heath) and a couple in the States.

Although not played I have been fortunate to walk some of the great courses in the US
- Spyglass Hill
- Cypress Point
- Pebble
- Tobacco Road
- Pinehurst 2 and most of number 4 as well

ambitions for the future are to see some of the great UK courses. To my great shame I spent a month in Surrey last year, being only 30 minutes from places such as Sunningdale and didnt visit any... :-[

Dan Boerger

« Reply #435 on: January 29, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »
Stu -- Good to see another curler on board. I've curled for 30+ years now and the similarities to golf are uncanny: Both very much an "honor system" sport, both require finesse execution a some high pressure times (that draw to the 4 foot in the 1st end versus that same draw in the 10th to win the game are entirely different shots), and we have the F'in Scots to thank for both highly addictive sports. A few years ago I skipped a team that won back-to-back championships at men's bonspiel at TCC (the bonspiel is called "The Stockton). What a great venue and they are on of the few private clubs to successfully mix curling with golf in these United States.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Dan Boerger

« Reply #436 on: January 29, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »

Kyle - Your last sentence is a bit like a golfer telling his opponent that "I'm good at making all 10 foot putts!"  :) A draw to the button can be very difficult when it's really needed.

Seriously, if you've tried curling that's great. It's a terrific sport and the strategy involved at the highest level is pretty amazing.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Kyle Harris

« Reply #437 on: January 29, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »

Kyle - Your last sentence is a bit like a golfer telling his opponent that "I'm good at making all 10 foot putts!"  :) A draw to the button can be very difficult when it's really needed.

Seriously, if you've tried curling that's great. It's a terrific sport and the strategy involved at the highest level is pretty amazing.

I have a few times at both the Plainfield and Ardmore clubs. It's something I will pursue once I get stable and steady with income and a few bills paid off. Like golf, there is a high investment that is only worthwhile if one can put the time in.

GREAT exercise as well. Amazingly. A goal of mine is to attend a Brier.

Cristian

« Reply #438 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »

Cristian Willaert
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Married, two children

Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Royal County Down
Ballybunion
Royal Dornoch
Royal St George's
Royal Lytham
Morfontaine
Walton Heath Old
Waterville
Alwoodley
Pasatiempo
Haagsche
Machrihanish
Fontainebleau
Noordwijk
Pan
Royal Zoute
Glasgow Gailes
Casa de Campo (teeth)
Kennemer

Top of wishlist:

NGLA
CPC
Bandon
Ballyneal
Sand Hills
Tobacco Road

I'd like to learn more about gca and courses I haven't played and hope to raise some awareness and interest in the quality of some lesser known courses in mainland europe. (This summer, or spring I hope to do some picture threads).

Cristian,

A most impressive list of courses but I notice a notable anomaly; Glasgow Gails and no Old Course?

Your own Johann Cruyff(sic) was out at Pebble Beach last year and played with a GCA'er whose name escapes me. Now there was probably the best footballer ever.

Bob

You are right on both issues; I hope to add TOC soon.....
I actually once entered the ballot and saw my name on the start list in the tourist office late the night before; however I had a 1440 tee off, with a flight out of Edinburgh at 1900. Aaaaah!

On the positive side: My group ended up playing Lundin, great fun, wouldn't have missed it for the world (except perhaps for a round on TOC).

Cristian

« Reply #439 on: January 29, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

Bob

Bob,

Nice try there, but this Frenchman has to disagree. :-)

Pele = Nicklaus (prolific scorer)
Maradona = Ballesteros (the most creative)
Zidane = Jean van de Velde (good, but lost his head at the moment supreme) ;D
Platini = Langer (good, but not very fast)  ;)
Cruyff = Woods (most naturally gifted allround player)
Beckenbauer = Faldo (great tactically)

in that order.

Cristian

« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2009, 08:20:44 PM »

Cristian Willaert
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Married, two children

Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Royal County Down
Ballybunion
Royal Dornoch
Royal St George's
Royal Lytham
Morfontaine
Walton Heath Old
Waterville
Alwoodley
Pasatiempo
Haagsche
Machrihanish
Fontainebleau
Noordwijk
Pan
Royal Zoute
Glasgow Gailes
Casa de Campo (teeth)
Kennemer

Top of wishlist:

NGLA
CPC
Bandon
Ballyneal
Sand Hills
Tobacco Road

Whenever you decide to come play Tobacco Road, or just come to America, let me know. I'd be happy to give you the tour of the NC Sandhills. I know the best courses, the best places to eat, and the best places to see. Just say the time.

Thanks!

Please do the same of you come to Northwestern europe!

Sean Walsh

« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:41 PM »
Cristian,

Did Jason Culina returning to play for an Australian club make any news in Holland?

It's a pretty big deal for our embryonic comp.  He's the first starting 11 National player to return to our league and especially important as he is just moving into his prime.

We'll have to get you to a Melbourne Victory game (I'm a member) when you make the (hopefully) inevitable trip to the sandbelt.  Maybe it could coincide with us hosting the world cup in 2018 or 2022.  (I'm allowed to dream - and it's not like Englan have ever done anything for the game)

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #442 on: January 30, 2009, 12:45:31 AM »

I was the lucky single that got paired with Mr. Cruyff on a beautiful spring afternoon in Monterey!  He was splendid company.  One has to wonder if you met one of the 5 greatest athletes in most other sports if they would be as down-to-earth and pleasant.  Of course it probably helped that I was clueless as to the identity of my company for most of the round, but I think the way of many modern athletes is to present themselves with a feeling of more self-importance.

Tim,

Very cool.  That would have been awesome for any football fan because you never even would have expected something like to happen.

Cristian,

Bad choice for Zizou there, but we get the drift.  I'll just forever remember the two headers from the '98 final.  Much better memory.  ;D
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tim Bert

« Reply #443 on: January 30, 2009, 08:26:30 AM »
Patrick

Never in my life have I kicked myself so hard for not keeping up with football.

Pun intended.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #444 on: January 30, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »
Patrick,

Maradona? A trickster and a fraud but a genius with a ball at his feet. Paraphasing Larry Holmes, he couldn't carry Johaans jockstrap.

As for Cruyff, I am thinking not only of his skills but of his brain and the continuation of Rinus Michels 'Total Football' concept.'

Bob

Jim Nugent

« Reply #445 on: January 30, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
Patrick,

Maradona? A trickster and a fraud but a genius with a ball at his feet. Paraphasing Larry Holmes, he couldn't carry Johaans jockstrap.

Do I ever disagree with that.  More than any other single player, I think he won the World Cup for his nation.  i.e. no other winning team depended on any single player as much as Argentina did Maradona. 

Then he turned his European club teams into champions.  Again, this was more his doing than any other player's.

He even had his national team sailing through the 1994 (1990?) World Cup -- until FICA kicked him out of the tournament.

In other words, he has turned every team he played on into champions. 

Best offensive player I ever saw.  Despite taking the hardest marking and most fouls I've seen, he performed artistic surgery on the most sophisticated defenses ever devised till then. 

If I am building a team, he is the first player I choose. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #446 on: January 30, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »
Jim,

He did those amazing things but at heart he is a felon.

Bob

Jim Nugent

« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »
Bob, that's widespread throughout all pro football, IMO.  It's my biggest frustration with the game, and the reason I'm glad my kids don't care much about it.   

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #448 on: January 30, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »
Patrick,

As for Cruyff, I am thinking not only of his skills but of his brain and the continuation of Rinus Michels 'Total Football' concept.'

Bob

Bob,

Fair point.

I guess it comes down to what you would consider "best footballer" to mean.  For me, it translates to the most gifted at football (e.g. ball handling skills, vision and adaptability, etc.), who's able to raise the level of a team head and shoulders above what it would be otherwise, and won at the top of international and club football.

With that in mind, I'd stand by my list.

Maradona won everywhere he went.  Took Argentina to the top and Napoli as well.  Unbelieveable skills and prolific goal scorer.  Selfish?  Often yes, but he lifted every team he played on.  By himself, he could dismantle an opposing team.

I mean ... on one leg he still took Argentina to the final in '90.

Sense of fairplay (e.g. cheating, diving, etc.)?  Well ... I hope I don't offend too many Argentines on this forum, but .... nah ... no point in getting kicked off this forum.  Then we know about his habits etc. that cut down what could have been an even greater career.

No doubt Cruyff was great, but as you hinted ... he had the Total Football working for and with him and he very much perfromed his best within that kind of team.  I mean Holland went to the final again in '78 without him.  We could easily argue that back in his time things were different for playing at different clubs etc., but Cruyff did play at Barcelona.  Not much was collected hardware wise when he was there.

I think we could go on and on...

Back to golf and "who are you guys" I say 'cause I'm getting way OT with this.  ;D
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #449 on: January 30, 2009, 02:39:58 PM »
Bob, that's widespread throughout all pro football, IMO.  It's my biggest frustration with the game, and the reason I'm glad my kids don't care much about it.   

Jim,

He broke my heart with "the Hand of God" routine and I detest the little shit.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back