News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ray Cross

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #350 on: June 20, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »
Hey George,
Yes, I remember....some golf course. Was only back there once since. I see you have remained active and involved.
Pittsburgh, right?

Tony Gorski

« Reply #351 on: June 22, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »
Tony Gorski
Married
Kids:  None yet
Education: Marquette University (BS Engineering), University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill (MBA)
Hometown: Milwaukee, WI

Home Course:  Bear Creek Golf Club
Handicap: 5.0

Favorite Courses Played:
-  Royal County Down
-  Royal Portrush
-  Bandon Trails
-  Portstewart
-  Waterville
-  Portmarnock
-  Pine Needles
-  Erin Hills
-  Colorado Golf Club
-  Merion
-  Oakmont

Courses Most Wanted To Play:
-  Royal Melbourne
-  NGLA
-  Swinley Forest
-  Sebonack
-  Sand Hills
-  Friars Head

I've had a chance to play many of the great courses of the world.  It is in playing those courses and studying my likes and dislikes that fuels my passion for great architecture.

Own a golf firm with a couple of gents and am looking to build minimalist course on sandy soil in the U.S.  I'm a fan of classic design.  I appreciate the Dye's and Fazio's of the world, but slant towards the Golden Age, C&C, Doak, etc.

James Boon

« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
James Boon
Age 31
Married and no kids
Other interests include watching football (Man Utd and the Rams) and cricket (Derbyshire and England), listening to music (too varied to mention but listening to a lot of Pixies, Smiths, Bloc Party at the moment), reading all sorts of books and at the moment working on improvements to the house we have just moved to, so not playing as much golf as I should!

I was born in Nottingham, went to university in Leicester and now live in Derby, so the East Midlands of England are pretty much home. Anyone who finds themselves in the area and fancies a game, get in touch...

Play off 7 at Horsley Lodge GC near Derby, though I'm also a member at Burnham & Berrow GC in Somerset which is where the inlaws used to live. I say used to live as they moved not long after I joined but I love links golf so much I keep renewing the membership. I hope to meet up with Sean Arble (who some of you should recognise from here) for a game but haven't managed to make it that way for a while, sorry Sean.

I've played golf since I was 14 and always wanted to be a golf course architect but found myself becoming an architect (of buildings rather than golf courses) instead. I keep hoping that one day I will get the time (and courage) to make a few suggestions at Horsley Lodge which I think would make a potentially good course even better...

My favourite courses that I've played are:
- Notts aka Hollinwell
- Royal Dornoch
- Royal West Norfolk aka Brancaster
- Brora
- Cavendish
- Painswick
- Burnham & Berrow

I've probably read about more great golf courses and their architects than I have actually managed to find the time to play, but all in good time! My brother has just moved to Edinburgh, so I'm hoping to play a lot more golf around there in the near future. He is a PGA professional and has just set up The Edinburgh Golf Shop on Hanover Street, just off Princes Street. If anyone find themselves in the area pop in, ask for Dave and mention me, and he'll probably do you a deal!

I like searching out Harry Colt, Alister MacKenzie and James Braid courses to play. I just wish we had more (if any) courses by the likes of Tom Doak, Pete Dye and C&C to play in this country? One day I'd love to be able to make the trip over to Long Island and play some of the classic courses there: NGLA, Shinnecock, Garden City, Bethpage Black, Maidstone, The Creek etc. but I know its not as easy as that...

In the mean time I will entertain myself playing some of the fine courses we do have in this country and I'll let you all know about them as I do, though not sure if I'll be able to match Sean's photos and analysis!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jim Tang

« Reply #353 on: July 08, 2008, 10:34:29 PM »
The new guy here....

Jim Tang
Home:  Chicago Burbs
Email:  jtang@elmhurst.k12.il.us
Index:  Used to be 5.0 but Headed Northward Alarmingly Fast
Years Played:  25

I am just happy to be part of this forum.  I've taught sixth grade social studies and English for 13 years.  I also coach basketball.  In the summers I spend my time as a caddie at Black Sheep Golf Club in Sugar Grove, Illinois.  What a tremendous place to be for the summers.

I've played golf since I was 11, growing up only 5 minutes from a public course.  I've got 170 courses under my belt, almost all public facilities.  I especially enjoy minimalism design and therefore, lean towards guys like Doak and Coore/Crenshaw.

My favorite courses I've played are...

1.  Pacific Dunes
2.  Whistling Straits - Straits
3.  Bandon Dunes
4.  Blackwolf Run - River
5.  Arcadia Bluffs
6.  Sea Island - Seaside
7.  World Woods - Pine Barrens
8.  Bandon Trails
9.  Paa-Ko-Ridge
10.  Blackwolf Run - Meadow Valleys

I have a trip to Ireland 2009 in the planning stages so I am sure my top 10 will see some new entries.  I am looking forward to contributing to the community.

Jim Colton

« Reply #354 on: July 09, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »
Welcome, Jimbo.  I'm glad you finally made it on board.

As a long-standing member of my golfing triumvirate (after years of trying, we've yet to find a suitable fourth), I can vouch for Mr. Tang.  He has a tufted puffin headcover, so he can't be all bad.

James Bennett

« Reply #355 on: July 09, 2008, 01:54:46 AM »
James Boon
Age 31

My favourite courses that I've played are:
- Notts aka Hollinwell
- Royal Dornoch
- Royal West Norfolk aka Brancaster
- Brora
- Cavendish
- Painswick
- Burnham & Berrow

Cheers,

James

James

an interesting list.  I expect Bill McBride has pencilled your name down with a big tick against it.  I had the pleasure of Painswick with Sean Arble.  It was a good combination - memorable and unique but not quite in the favourite list.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matt Bosela

« Reply #356 on: July 09, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »
I guess I missed this thread when I joined up.

Name: Matt Bosela
Married
Kids:  First one on the way!  Little boy!
Education: University of Western Ontario (Sociology/Business)
Occupation:  Vice President - Paper/Industrial Packaging/Sanitation Supplies Wholesaler
Hometown: Niagara Falls, ON, Canada

Home Course:  St. Catharines G&CC (Stanley Thompson)
Handicap: 1.1 (lowest I've ever been and highly unlikely to stay this way for long) :)

Favorite Courses Played:
-  Oakmont 
-  Riviera
-  St. George's (Toronto)
-  Lookout Point
-  Muskoka Bay
-  Tanglewood Park (Championship)
-  Warren Course at Notre Dame
-  Thornhill (Toronto)
-  East Aurora CC (hidden gem outside Buffalo)
-  Ocean Course at Hammock Beach
-  Princeville (Prince Course)

Courses Most Wanted To Play (semi-realistic list):
-  Bandon Dunes/Pacific Dunes/Bandon Trails
-  Ancaster (Hamilton G&CC)
-  Cape Breton Highlands
-  Jasper Park/Banff
-  Niagara Falls CC (Tillinghast)
-  Oak Hill
-  Muirfield Village/Scioto/Firestone (in the planning stages right now)
-  Ireland trip
-  Scotland trip
-  Australia/New Zealand trip

Courses Most Wanted to Play (or even walk & photograph) - (unrealistic list):
-  Merion
-  Winged Foot
-  PV
-  Ballyneal
-  Sand Hills
-  NGLA/Shinnecock
-  Crystal Downs
-  Cypress/MPCC

I'm not as well-travelled as most on this site but I've really developed a great interest in GCA over the past few years.  As I get older, I'm finding a bit more time to branch out and get to some of the great courses of the world and look forward to more adventures in the future.

I was lucky enough to play Riviera and Oakmont last year and I plan on writing about both experiences here soon.  I've also had the opportunity to play some golf with a fellow GCA'er in Robert Thompson and I've also had the pleasure of talking with Ian Andrew on a few occasions.

I'm an avid writer and hope to be able to make some contributions to the forums here about the great courses or great experiences I've had in golf.

Hopefully, I can get more involved with everyone here on the site and perhaps even join you for one of the many group events sometime in the near future.

Thanks to Ran for having me!

James Boon

« Reply #357 on: July 11, 2008, 04:18:17 AM »
James B

I need to ask, as I'm still new around here: should I be worried that Bill McBride may have put a big tick against my name...

Painswick certainly isn't the best course I've ever played but I really enjoyed it which is why I put it on my favourites list, and can't wait to go back!

Cheers

James (my B omitted for clarity)
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #358 on: July 11, 2008, 06:42:38 AM »
As with above posters I thought I should add my name to this thread.

Name: Andrew Bertram
Married
Kids:  2 boys, 4 years and 4 months

Favorite Courses Played:
-  Cypress Point
-  NGLA
-  Royal Dornoch
-  Royal County Down
-  Royal Melbourne West
-  San Francisco
-  North Berwick West
-  Old Course
-  Shinnecock Hills
-   Valley Club
-   Barwon Heads
-   The Golf Club
-   Gleneagles Kings

Grew up 200 metres from Victoria's first green and developed a love for golf and it's great courses from an early age. Spent 2 years caddying on PGA Tour when a young lad and then 6 years as assistant Pro at Royal Melbourne before taking up Head Professional positions over the past decade.

Have a passion for travelling to new wonderful courses and take member groups on trips to assist in seeing new courses as well when I am business trips I always stay over to explore nearby courses.

I have played 67 of Golf Magazines 2007 Top 100 in the world with dreams of one day completing it.

Enjoy reading the great majority of forums and adding comment where i feel i can add to the discussion.

I look forward to many years of posting.
Thanks to Ran for such a wonderful discussion group.

JWinick

« Reply #359 on: July 30, 2008, 11:42:25 PM »
Name: Jon Winick
Home Course: Olympia Fields
Index: 8.7

I've enjoyed reading this site for over a year and am glad that Ran let another OFCC guy in.   I'm probably a golfer first, but I've learned to really appreciate the architecture.  Since I love architecture as its part of my profession, it's only natural to combine two loves.

Favorite Courses:
Whisting Straights
Engineers Country Club
Holston Hills
Blackwolf Run (River)
OFCC North
OFCC South
Beverly

Hope to play:
Chicago Golf
Medinah #3 (scheduled in late August)
Pine Valley
Shinnecock
NGLA
The Old Course
Royal Country Down
Merion
Augusta National
Seminole
Carnoustie
Crystal Downs (scheduled in late September)
Los Angeles Country Club
Garden City (scheduled in September)
and just about any golf course with good company.   

TX Golf

« Reply #360 on: August 26, 2008, 10:26:29 PM »
I have been reading this site for over about a year now and finally decided to get involved myself. It has been a truly educational and interesting experience that I hope will continue. Here is a little bit of info about myself.

My name is Robert Warren and I am from Lafayette, California (East Bay Area). I am twenty-one years old and I am currently attending school in Dallas at SMU. I am a Finance and Economics double major and will be graduating this upcoming spring. I currently work a few days a week down here in Dallas at Dallas Country Club. It is an interesting courses that I am sure has had some very mixed  reviews. I have played out of Contra Costa Country Club in Pleasant Hill, CA. I became extremely interested in the subject of GCA when the California Golf Club underwent a complete renovation/restoration by Kyle Phillips which has just recently been completed.

Tilden Park, Berkeley (Played there as a kid)
Cal Club, South San Francisco
SFGC, San Francisco
Pebble Beach, Monterey
Western Gailes, Scotland
Prestwick, Scotland
Carnoustie, Scotland
Kingsbarns, Scotland
Valderrama, Spain
Makena North, Maui (sentimental value)
Sea Island, Seaside Course
Stanford GC, Stanford, CA
TPC Scottsdale, Phoenix
Troon North, Phoenix

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:22:26 AM by Robert Warren »

Ed Oden

« Reply #361 on: August 26, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
Robert:

Welcome!  Its good to have another Mustang on the board.  What's the current feeling about June Jones' chances of turning the Ponies around this year?

Ed
(SMU Class of 83')

TX Golf

« Reply #362 on: August 26, 2008, 11:04:23 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for the welcome. The outlook is much better than it has ever been since I have been on the campus. Probably not quite like what it was back in the 80's but at least things are looking up. I guess the most important thing is that the school seems fairly excited about football again. I guess the first test will be this Saturday against Rice. I'm not sure if they are any good but hopefully we will give them a good game. I guess the true tell will be in a couple years when a few of Jones' recruits will have to time to learn under him. All we can do is hope. Are you still in the Dallas area!?!?

David Stewart

« Reply #363 on: August 27, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »
Name: David Stewart
Home: Lafayette, IN
Email: stewartd@purdue.edu
Occupation: In graduate school at Purdue for Chemistry (also got B.S. from Purdue in Chem)
Married/kids: Yes/No
Home Course: Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex with two courses (Kampen Course - Dye, and Ackerman Hills - Diddle)
Index: 10-11 (unofficial)

History:  Been playing golf since I was about 10.  I have not traveled to play much being a poor graduate student so I have played mostly in state.  Best course I have played would be Crooked Stick and I have toured Victoria National.  Wish list is similar to most (PV, CPC, NGLA, TOC probably top four).  I got married in March and have a year or two left of graduate school before I will begin the job search.  Have really just gotten the architecture itch in the last couple months.  It has been a joy to learn from everyone here.  My uncle (I'll leave him anonymous unless someone guesses but our last names are different so it may be hard) was a frequent GCA poster but has been silent for a while.  Pretty much chemistry and sports (golf and others) take up most of my days.  Thanks for letting me hang around and I hope to learn much more in the coming months/years.

DS

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #364 on: August 27, 2008, 11:26:54 AM »
I think I responded to this a few years back, but may I now use this thread to shamelessly plug my newly improved website? Every piece of music I have ever released commercially can now be auditioned at www.lloydcole.com, along with a whole bunch more stuff including some flattering photos from many years ago. I should add that I did all the design work myself, and 90% of the legwork, I only subcontracted for Javascript expertise and weblog database architecture.
And to update the rest
Lloyd Cole - age 47
Easthampton, MA
Member of Wycoff CC
Handicap 6.2
Married, 2 children
Two time College drop out (University College, London and Glasgow)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:11:48 PM by Lloyd_Cole »

Davis Wildman

« Reply #365 on: September 03, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
Apologies for the late introduction. 
Name: Davis Wildman, age 49
Home: Floyd, Va...bedroom community to Blacksburg, VA. 
Married/Kids: yes/yes...ages 8 and 5.  I got a late start.
Golf: Don't get to play much.  Studying the game...love to watch it and read about golf course architecture.   
Occupation: Entrepreneur/consultant-golf course development/information management, technology specific.
Formal Education: Land Planning/Geographical Information Systems grad school.
Education by fire: Distinct privilege of working on lots of notable courses in the US and hope to find my way abroad on others I've only heard of or read about.
How I found GCA: Mike Nuzzo gets the credit...can't thank him enough.  I enjoy the site postings immensely...you guys tell it like it is and then some.  I can always count on a good laugh here, as well as learning more about gca and all other things golf...and then some.

Many thanks...look forward to more good stuff here.

Davis Wildman

George Pazin

« Reply #366 on: September 03, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »
Hey George,
Yes, I remember....some golf course. Was only back there once since. I see you have remained active and involved.
Pittsburgh, right?

Yep. And I'm embarrassed it took me this long to see you response and respond in kind. Apologies.

James B

I need to ask, as I'm still new around here: should I be worried that Bill McBride may have put a big tick against my name...

Painswick certainly isn't the best course I've ever played but I really enjoyed it which is why I put it on my favourites list, and can't wait to go back!

Cheers

James (my B omitted for clarity)

James, you needn't worry, Bill is one of the many great guys on this site. James probably just noted a similarity in course affinity.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #367 on: September 04, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
Name: Charlie Goerges
Home: Breezy Point, MN
Email: ccgoerges@hotmail.com
Education: B.A. from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN
Married: Yes
Kids: Two girls (11 months and almost 3 years)
Home Course: I wish ::)
Index: unfortunately not
Other hobbies: reading, drawing (badly), photography, woodworking with old hand tools (this has devolved into antique tool collecting)

I want to say that I am very pleased to be a member of this discussion group. I came across the site during my (as yet unfinished) research into getting a golf course built on my family’s land. When I first saw the site I was only interested in the course profiles but eventually found my way to reading the discussion board. Lately, I’ve found myself wishing that I could ask questions and post replies.

Now for a bit of biographical information not already covered above. I have played golf regularly since I was about 13 (or from 13-25). When I do play (and play my own ball), I am liable to shoot anywhere from the upper seventies to the low nineties. Unfortunately I have not played any truly great golf courses and I’ve not really played all that many different courses. So I hope to add value by representing a complete beginner’s perspective and perhaps some comic relief through dumb questions.

One thing that I have been working on is a design exercise that I think the members of the group might enjoy tackling. I won’t go into too many details here because it is a bit difficult to explain and I’ve already gone on a bit long already. At any rate I’ll post a new thread for the exercise once I’ve got it a bit more polished.

All the best,

Charlie
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jim Nugent

« Reply #368 on: September 04, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »
Charlie, I have to ask the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw your post.  How do you pronounce your last name? 

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2008, 12:17:06 AM »
Hi Jim,

It's pronounced "GORE-guess", but if it must be mis-pronounced my preference would be for "gorgeous" ;)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Handley

« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
John Handley
San Mateo, CA
Northwest Advertising Director
Sports Illustrated & SI.com
Home Clubs: California Golf Club, San Francisco, CA
                    Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club, North Plains, OR
Index: 5.1
Married w/ 2 small children
Texas Longhorn

Favorite Courses:
Royal County Down
Turnberry Ailsa
Pacific Dunes
Cabo Del Sol, Ocean Course
Pumpkin Ridge Witch Hollow
Pebble Beach
Muirfield
St. Andrews Old Course
Royal Portrush
The "new" Cal Club

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Pat Burke

« Reply #371 on: September 05, 2008, 01:37:06 AM »
Pat Burke
Teaching pro / Director of kids non profit golf/education  non profit
Third Generation Golf professional   mom, dad, brothers, grandfather and his three brothers ;D
Lifelong architecture junkie  Spent more time drawing golf courses in notebooks in school than taking the appropriate notes (which explains why I'm still teaching golf ;) )
Grew up in NJ  NY, got to play some of the best courses on a regular basis (perks of golf pro family)
Favorite course USA  Cypress Point    Favorite course INTL  Kingston Heath   
Favorite area to play  Melbourne sand belt     Always felt I was a better player when I came home from Aus
Worked for 6+ years as a foreman/assistant Supt before giving playing a try
Designed a couple of holes..... Well, consulted on the redesign of a few holes..... well, talked to the designer about a couple things on his course...okay,okay looked at a few courses that were in the shaping process and got a tour, but as a former Tour member, doesn't that make me an architect??? ::)

Love architecture, was blessed to grow up in the NE and to experience some of the best in Aus and NZ
Really would love to get involved in some way in Golf course design, but for now, just love looking and learning about it

Michael

« Reply #372 on: September 05, 2008, 10:03:38 AM »
Michael Cote
 Retired/disabled Navy Vet..22 years..still work with boats at a marina in New England.

Two sons 21 and 19 (both play and are nipping at my heels)

Play to a 6.1

Took a lot of time off golf between the Military and family in my 20's 30's once the kids had grown and wanted to play, I returned to it with a new fever....

Played a lot of courses and always wondered why a designer did certain things so I thought I would look for a forum like this with the hopes of learning. Active on other forums more to my educational background..ships captain/master and Navigation.

Played St Andrews (Old course)  I have to admit I was pretty nervous and in constant awe of where I was playing..carded a 84 :(

I too would love to start a second career in some way connected with golf, after some 5000 total days at sea...I'd rather walk on Land for a while ;D

Jon Heise

« Reply #373 on: September 05, 2008, 10:52:19 AM »
Jon Heise
Just south of Detroit
hcp of 8-10
Wayne State Univ, 2005
work in the insurance industry

Ive been playing about 6 years, lurking this site for about 3.  I get about 80-100 rounds a year.  I realized early that Im not going to be a scratch player (at least for a while...), but I can play a lot of really great and historical courses.  My list is about 110 played.  Ive played a lot of great ones in Michigan, Im looking to head south to play some of the best on the Atlantic coast.

Some of the best Ive played:
Crystal Downs
Greywalls
Kingsley Club
Pinehurst No. 2
Grosse Ile Golf & CC
Kiawah Ocean Course
Tanglewood Park
Dunes Golf and Beach Club
Tobacco Road
Caledonia

Love Ross, RTJ and Strantz

Looking to play:
Angel's Crossing
High Pointe
Bethpage Black and Red
Oakmont
French Lick
Oakland Hills
Franklin Hills
Yeamans Hall
Harbour Town
Bright's Creek
I still like Greywalls better.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #374 on: September 05, 2008, 03:12:30 PM »
Name: Deucie Bies
Home Course: Lake Nona Golf Club
Index: 7.2

I have enjoyed visiting this website during the past few years and am happy Ran has added me to the discussion group.  I really enjoy learning about golf architecture and playing different types of courses and hope to continue to learn more through this website.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:58:06 AM by Deucie Bies »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back